Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 Primer Hold Down Die

Looks like the flash hole will be sealed as the bolt supports the case?

Could be very dangerous if a primer ignites......

This is a good point. A blocked flash hole will increase the possibility of the whole primer tube going, I would think.

It's a good idea. My old lee loadmaster primes on the up stroke too. Priming was much improved by simply adding a lee size/decap die in that station with the decap pin removed. Assuming the priming station on the 1050 can hold a regular die that is what I'd suggest. Put a lee sizer (without decapper pin) in that station. It'll hold the case centered and straight as well as hold it down and flash hole remains clear to 'vent' if needed.

The primer explosion would not concern me, but I would expect some issues with different case bottom thickness - it can vary between different cases quite substantially. Perhaps the flexibility of the press structure will be enough to accommodate them all.

On one of my 1050s, I have to keep adjusting the primer seating bolt down further and further to keep primers below flush. I figure soon I'll be taking it to Dillon for inspection/repair. Maybe this would save me a bit.

On one of my 1050s, I have to keep adjusting the primer seating bolt down further and further to keep primers below flush. I figure soon I'll be taking it to Dillon for inspection/repair. Maybe this would save me a bit.

Try Teflon tape on the threads of the adjustment rod.

Worked for me.

Unfortunately the priming station hole in the 1050's toolhead is only about 14.5mm wide, and not large enough to hold a regular 7/8" die.

Sounds like 9/16" x 18 thread then.

why not do the case mouth belling there and hold the case down? yes, why not??? then you could back off on the powder funnel (readjust of course) but backing off the funnel, would not get that sticking motion during the upstroke.

Couldn't wait and finished the maintenance and parts installation on the 1050. As an aside, I found lots of crap in it as well as several live primer that had set up camp.

Installed:

(Level 10 Low Mass Shellplate bearing kit was already installed)

Level 10 Toolhead spring and bushing

F&FB 9mm Heavy Duty Shellplate

F&FB Heavy Duty Index Pawl (the original had a deep groove worn in it)

Manually worked the press for 100 rounds (a nice bonus with the AmmoBot setup). It felt much smoother. Ran AmmoBot for 500 rounds at 1300 rph. The F&FB toolhead is super heavy duty and visibly reduced the case “wobble” while indexing. However, the installation directions require a .015-.020 gap under the plate. I noticed some “tilting” (not flexing) of the plate as the plate and toolhead came together. It didn't affect the operation of the press, but I noticed the OAL on seating the rounds would drift .01 OK for practice ammo, but bothered me. Also had 4 cases still tilt out of the shellplate when priming. Arrg! (insert Pirate noise)

Then I cut away a 9mm case with a Dremel and checked the swaging station. Holy Crap! The support rod that lowers inside the case was not even close to touching the bottom of the case web to support the swaging operation. Fixed that. I also had to adjust the swage rod a little bit deeper.

Then I installed the Everglades Ammo Primer Hold Down Die. I had to chuck it in a drill and use a lapping plate to reduce the diameter for it to fit in the shellplate. Not a big deal because the hole is just left as cast and not machine finished. Took about 60 seconds to install and adjust.

Boom! The die completely eliminated any shellplate tilting. I had to adjust the micrometer seating die again to get back to my target OAL. I ran another 50 by hand and then 1000 rounds using the AmmoBot 1400 rph. NO primer issues and NO drifting of the OAL. Random measuring of my primer seating revealed a consistent .005 depth.

I can't say which upgrade made the biggest difference. I suspect the $15.00 Everglades Ammo primer die thingie and fixing the swage station made the most mechanical difference. If you watch Everglades’ Youtube video, they explain that all of their commercial reloading machines support the case during the primer seating operation. Makes sense. The other upgrades made me feel more-gooder while manually cycling the press, but I can’t really measure their mechanical impact on the press operation.

But then again…. could be wrong.