Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did your zero change after cleaning your comp?

Sandbagger123

just finished cleaning my comp. had a bunch of lead and carbon in it. the previous owner i think never cleaned it. So i have a match on Sunday. Since this is my first time cleaning a comp, does cleaning a comp change the zero sometimes? i really don,t want to hit the range before the match if i don't have to, but if you guys have experienced zero change i might have to.

I bead blasted mine, crown and all. No change in zero and no change in performance that I could detect. It was full of carbon in the first chamber so it certainly must have changed the comps performance but I didn't notice.

I don't think glass beads hurt much

I bead blasted mine, crown and all. No change in zero and no change in performance that I could detect. It was full of carbon in the first chamber so it certainly must have changed the comps performance but I didn't notice.

I don't think glass beads hurt much

That's a good idea, that would work great for getting in all the corners..

• 2 months later...

yeah I give mine a good scraping with the little arredondo comp cleaning tool (basically a screw driver with a rounded side). I also spray it (inside and out) pre-match with the hornady gun cleaner and lube which does seem to make it easier to get carbon off afterwards.

possibly once a year it'll need a really good clean with an engraving tool or bead blasted to remove any stubborn carbon and/or lead. but if you do the regular scraping you can keep on top of it. that saves it from becoming a massive chore.