Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI shoots way low.

tha1000

Back story. I bought an older, factory built SV off this forum about 6 months ago. Shot it once, it shot low. It had a .18 FO front and a Novak night sight type rear on it. I bought a Proctor Y notch to replace the Novak rear. The proctor is supposed to work with a .18 on an sti, so I thought I'd be good to go. Nope. It's D zone low at 20 yards. Quarter sized groups 7.5 inches low at 10 yards. It's so bad that Dawson's sight calculator tells me I need a .035 high front sight to fix the issue.

So I guess the simple fix is buy a Novak cut adjustable sight, but is there anything mechanically that could cause the gun to shoot *that* low? The night sight I removed was dated '05 and it has a Schumann aet barrel.

Edited by tha1000

Slower ammo would actually be what you wanted. If you are using 155s, try 200s. If that don't help you would need sights I would think.

Edited by RJH

Another option is a slightly shorter front sight AND a taller rear too. I would bet that your issue is the result of a previous owner monkeying with the sight setup.

Another option is a slightly shorter front sight AND a taller rear too. I would bet that your issue is the result of a previous owner monkeying with the sight setup.

The thing hasn't been shot much. I'm sure it didn't initially ship with a night sight rear and FO front though, because that's dumb. So you are likely right. The simple solution is to do what you said, get a shorter front and a Dawson adjustable Novak cut rear.

I think you are not putting the FO dot in the right place. Many manufacturers set their sights up so that you don't match the top of the rear with the top of the front. Instead, you put the top of the dot even with the top of the rear. Sig, for one, sets their sights up this way. Also, many shooters prefer to place the dot so it is half over and half under the top of the rear sight. The previous owner may have set his pistol up that way.

This can make a huge difference, especially if your FO is a large diameter. My FO is only .090" dia. If I bisect the Fo I'm dead on at 14 yards. If I match the top of the FO and the rear sight, I'm dead on at 25.

Try adjusting where you place the dot and see if you like it.

Equal height, equal light. I'll have to change them out of I'm *supposed to* have the front sight sticking up above the rear because that is different than every other gun I shoot regularly and not something that I want to get used to doing at speed.

Edited by tha1000

That is why i don't like fixed sights on that kind of pistol. Call Brandon and tell him what height front sight you need. Most likely he will make you one or make you a new sight set. I've had the adjustable Novak rear sight. It's kinda ugly, but it worked.

Yeah, that was why I went with the proctor sight that was supposed to work with a .18 front. I could bring myself to put that ugly sight on this beautiful gun. But I guess being on the paper at 25 is more important than how the sights look.

Yeah, that was why I went with the proctor sight that was supposed to work with a .18 front. I could bring myself to put that ugly sight on this beautiful gun. But I guess being on the paper at 25 is more important than how the sights look.

I don't know. You're talking about an SVI pistol there. Looks is pretty important, hah!