Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for 9mm minor loads with vv320 powder?

jebeckjr

I'm slowly, carefully working my way into the reloading world. As I exclusively shoot 9mm, I'm able to focus on just getting one load to work.

I have acquired some vv320 powder, and CCI500 primers. The only thing I'm missing are actual bullets, which is where I can use some recommendations

I'm struggling a bit finding load data for the vv320 powder using coated bullets, like Blue Bullets or Black Bullets. I'm not to to coated bullets - it was a recommendation from a friend - so I'm really open to anything. I'd like to stay at or above 124 gr bullets, and prefer a power factor that solidly makes minor in the 135 range (just want to stay legal).

If anyone can share load specifics that meet the criteria, I would really appreciate it! I really only want to stay with the vv N320 powder - if I need to change primers, no problem.

Oh, and I'll be using a Lee CTP, in case that matters. I do have a friend that will help be helping me get setup.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get some coated 147's. I use Bayou, but any of the Hi-Tek coated ones are fine.

Start around 3.2 gr N320, with a OAL of 1.145. Work up to your desired factor.

I load 3.4 N320, WSP, 147 Bayou, OAL 1.145. It makes between 129 and 136 PF in:

3 Glock 17

1 5" M&P

2 CZ 75 SP-01

1 Colt 9mm Govt

1 5" Springfield 1911

I've gone anywhere from 3.8 to 4.2 of N320 under a 125 coated bullet. Ibejeheads, black and blue, acme....etc.

My favorite right now is 3.9.

AOL is totally dependent on your chamber and bullet....

Bob

I'm using 135 grain coated bullets sized .358 with 3.5 grains of N320 for 130 pf from my S&W 929. I also use 147 grain jacketed with the same load for 128 power factor. Both are 1.160 OAL.

Thank you both! 4.1 is getting you at or near max, correct?

Not even close. Maybe by some over cautious loading manual but not in reality. Minor loads are way down the ladder.

Thank you both! 4.1 is getting you at or near max, correct?

Not even close. Maybe by some over cautious loading manual but not in reality. Minor loads are way down the ladder.

4.1 is the max load for lead and plated according to Vihta Vuori (http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/9-mm-luger.html). They don't state what the pressure is of their max loads though. Sure many USPSA shooters load over max loads, but based off their load data I certainly wouldn't call this a light load.

Most minor loads are in the 130PF range. I ran 4.3 with jacketed 124's and they were pretty anemic at about 132.

Minor loads are mouse farts when compared to typical SD loads. 320 is a good safe powder. 310 with heavy bullets is nice but you have to be pretty careful with it!

124 rn xtreme

1.145 oal

4.1 n320

This is my exact recipe as well. And just like you, I have standardized on ONLY VV 320, CCI 500 primers, and 124 gr Xtreme RN.

Here is my chronograph data for 10 rounds: