Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are 9mm major shorties really violent?

Sandbagger123

i have one open gun and its 5". its the only open gun i have shot. i am in the market for another one and am looking at maybe a shorty in 9 major. reading a some of the stuff on the net about them, many say they are " violent" when shot in 9 major.

So is there any credence for these remarks?

With short barrels they take a lot of powder to make PF. Stands to reason the gun would really need to be set up right or it would be pretty wild.

The guys I know who tried them went back to full size guns

It also depends very much on the number of popple holes in the barrel as well as the comp.

As soon as you start drilling holes in the short barrel, the barrel essentially becomes even shorter. I have shot some shorties that literally made my teeth hurt while shooting them.

As others have said, try as many as you can before dumping your money.

Be careful when you say shorty, if it's built with a commander length slide, then yes, that's definitely a shorty, which I had and it wasn't nice with major ammo. Guns like Infinity's IMM open are more mid size and are great using their design. Full size built with the right combo ( I use barrel ports with TI comp in 38 sup.) and slide lightening, will do everything needed, the rest is you.