Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Build, New to Open

robertg5322

Did I see that Bedell has a new comp?

Where did you see this? I'm currently looking at the Ti comp but if there's sonething new coming down the pike I'll wait a bit.

Thanks.

Bob

5258196_orig.jpg

From the gallery at Bedell Custom, looks a lot like Jared's comp...

It does look like a Jared's comp, put on backwards.

+1

I don't know how many open guns you shot and I don't know if it's a concern, but guns with poppel holes seem to be obnoniously loud and a lot of the time you can feel the percussion smack you in the face like a brick. To most people it's not problem but it really bothers me for some reason. I know it's not part of your question but I thought I would throw it out there because I bought I bought a Steelmaster and hate to shoot it. Every time I pull the trigger I feel like I have to duck for cover because of percussion from the short barrel. I would hate to see you make a $2500.00 mistake like I did. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the warning. While I've never had the opportunity to shoot a gun with barrel holes, I've RO'd a bunch of them and felt what you're talking about to a lesser extent.
You aren't alone. I can't shoot super concussive guns either. I shoot a full size (5") with the steel master comp and no holes, and it is pretty mild. Hits the hand harder than some guns, but you should keep in mind that any open gun is going to have less recoil than like a limited gun. So saying "it's harder in the hand/has more recoil" is kind of misleading in my opinion.

I would recommend you get no holes. You can always add them later. Can't get rid of them without a new barrel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rudukai13, the ports on a comp can and do help to minimize, or even eliminate muzzle flip. They also can minimize felt recoil. Poppel holes help with muzzle flip, but not recoil. I can't stand poppels.

There are a lot of comp designs out there. Some, like Jared from Binary Engineering have done computer modeling of the gas flow and designed a comp in accordance with the data. Others like Eric just experimented until they found something they thought worked better the the traditional comps. No matter which comp you choose, you still have to work up a load that compliments it. If you are free to use any comp you want (I'm not) you can decide what is most important to you and go from there.

If you want the most flattening, you want a lot of smaller top ports with baffles between each. The smaller the port, the higher the velocity of the exiting gas, the more down force is generated. The more top ports you have, the more gas you need to run them.

There are other considerations, such as the size and weight of the comp and how it affects the handling of the gun. Most people don't want a really long, heavy comp hanging off the end of their barrel, so some compromises are made. Top ports can be opened to exhaust more gas. Side ports can be added to bleed more. What you don't want is a lot of gas coming out the front of the comp. That adds recoil. It can add a lot as I found out in my initial load development. Following conventional wisdom, I ended up with a load that shot dead flat, was break your ear drums loud and with a lot more recoil than my Limited load.

If you develop a load that works well with your comp, you'll have a lot of (or all) muzzle flip reduction and a significant reduction in felt recoil.

Bob, here are a couple of tips that might clear up some of your choices. SVI will sell you Schuemann type barrels, but they will not sell you one with AET. If you want AET, buy from Scheumann.

124gr bullets and HS-6 are a match made in heaven for 9mm Major. Literally boatloads of people use that combo. However, HS-6 will not drive poppels plus comp ports. Unless you want to go with VV 3N37, N350 or 3N38, don't do poppels and a comp. I've never seen a gun shoot dead flat with a Major load using only poppels. I have with a comp and no poppels.

There is no rule that says you have to have exactly the correct number of ports in a comp. Too many is not a bad thing as long as you are happy with the weight and size. The worst that could happen is you bleed off all the gas before the bullet reaches the last port(s). So what. It guarantees you will not be jetting much out the front.

Comps are relatively inexpensive, so buying another later to see if you can improve performance is not a big deal. If you start with something like Jared's Ti comp, you could even shoot Minor loads more effectively, because his ports start small.

Bob, here are a couple of tips that might clear up some of your choices. SVI will sell you Schuemann type barrels, but they will not sell you one with AET. If you want AET, buy from Scheumann.

124gr bullets and HS-6 are a match made in heaven for 9mm Major. Literally boatloads of people use that combo. However, HS-6 will not drive poppels plus comp ports. Unless you want to go with VV 3N37, N350 or 3N38, don't do poppels and a comp. I've never seen a gun shoot dead flat with a Major load using only poppels. I have with a comp and no poppels.

There is no rule that says you have to have exactly the correct number of ports in a comp. Too many is not a bad thing as long as you are happy with the weight and size. The worst that could happen is you bleed off all the gas before the bullet reaches the last port(s). So what. It guarantees you will not be jetting much out the front.

Comps are relatively inexpensive, so buying another later to see if you can improve performance is not a big deal. If you start with something like Jared's Ti comp, you could even shoot Minor loads more effectively, because his ports start small.

Thanks for the info. I have an 8lb jug of HD6, and a bunch of Montana Gold 124g jhp bullets, so it's great to hear that they go together well.

I ordered an AET barrel from Scheumann and a Bedell Ti comp yesterday so I figure I'll start ther e wi th no Poppel holes and see how it plays out.

Again, thanks much for the specific info.

Bob

That should be a good combo :cheers:

Be sure to try 115s as well before you settle :devil: I'll sell you a sample pack if you want.

Thanks for the offer, I have some 115g CMJ bullets and had planned on trying them along with the 124g to see the difference.

BTW, I lived in San Diego from 85-05. Loved it and wish still lived there.

Bob

Edited by robertg5322

Thanks for the info. I have an 8lb jug of HD6, and a bunch of Montana Gold 124g jhp bullets, so it's great to hear that they go together well.

I ordered an AET barrel from Scheumann and a Bedell Ti comp yesterday so I figure I'll start ther e wi th no Poppel holes and see how it plays out.

Bob

FYI, if your Montana Gold bullets are .355" diameter then keep in mind that Schuemann (and most other) barrels like .356" and larger bullets. So, don't freak out if your accuracy is a bit mediocre with .355's. And, if you already know this then ignore me. :roflol:

Chris

Bob

FYI, if your Montana Gold bullets are .355" diameter then keep in mind that Schuemann (and most other) barrels like .356" and larger bullets. So, don't freak out if your accuracy is a bit mediocre with .355's. And, if you already know this then ignore me. :roflol:

Chris

Thanks for the heads-up on the MG bullet size.

Something else to think about...

Did I see that Bedell has a new comp?

Where did you see this? I'm currently looking at the Ti comp but if there's sonething new coming down the pike I'll wait a bit.

Thanks.

Bob

I saw a picture of Max's gun