Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Build, New to Open

robertg5322

Hello.

I'm building an Open gun, Limited10.com frame, Brazos slide, likely SVI or Schuemann barrel (same thing?), RTS2 optic and plastic grip.

Looking for info/recommendations on comp and whether or not to go with Poppel holes/barrel holes. I have a good supply of HS6 powder, so that's what I'll lilely be using, along with MG 124g FMJHP bullets. I also have access to MG CMJ 115g bullets, so I'm open to lighter projectiles if it'll work.

I'm aware that there's more to it than just the comp, so with the parameters I've provided (HS6 powder, bullet weights listed and component selection above, can you cats give me some info on compensators and barrel holes. What's working for you and what hasn't worked. I'm looking for a flat shooting gun, and I'm probably more concerned about eliminating muzzle flip, and not overly concerned about recoil.

I've read the posts and seen the videos of comp testing and the Binary Engineering compensator, intriguing info. But I want to know what's working for you all.

Thanks.

Bob

Isn't that the five thousand dollar question!?!

I think them most important thing for you to figure out is how you want the gun to balance (hopefully you have some friends who will let you put some rounds through their setups). Personally I like the light weight of a Ti comp.

I think them most important thing for you to figure out is how you want the gun to balance (hopefully you have some friends who will let you put some rounds through their setups). Personally I like the light weight of a Ti comp.

Hello.

I was looking at Ti comps, specifically the Cheely and Bedell. Not sure if three chambers/four ports is enough/right. Not sure about anything with regards to Open guns for that matter... Also looking at bull barrel, unless someone has a reason not to.

The "five thousand dollar question' with no right answer, but tons of possible wrong answers. Like tap dancing in a mine field.

Thanks for the feed back.

Bob

Factory svi gun, hybrid barrel 2 ports, svi comp really flat.

Infinity makes good stuff. Interesting that they work so well with the smallish comps (compared to some others out there with five or more chambers and seven or more ports). None of this makes these decisions easier...

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob

9mm Major, or .38 Super? I've read somewhere? that popple holes

are possibly favorable in .38 Super, but not so much in 9mm Major.

I've never heard of a 124 gr MG FMJHP? Only heard of FMJ's and JHP's.

I suggest sticking to a bullet (JHP or CMJ) that is completely encased in

a jacket (No exposed lead, to foul your comp).

Good luck with it. :cheers:

no right answer, but tons of possible wrong answers

I don't think you'd be unhappy with any of the popular choices, a Bedell, Cheely or Binary Engineering comp in TI would all serve you well. A healthy charge of HS6 under a 115 and you're off to the races :)

9mm Major, or .38 Super? I've read somewhere? that popple holes

are possibly favorable in .38 Super, but not so much in 9mm Major.

I've never heard of a 124 gr MG FMJHP? Only heard of FMJ's and JHP's.

I suggest sticking to a bullet (JHP or CMJ) that is completely encased in

a jacket (No exposed lead, to foul your comp).

Good luck with it. :cheers:

9mm. I have boatloads of 9mm brass so that kind of decided it for me.

Montana Gold JHP. My bad on the acronym.

I've read and seen 9mm guns with and without holes, so I'm looking for opinions of others with more experience in open to help me decide.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob

I really liked this Bedell Super Shorty in 38 with three small holes and a TI comp, but I decided to stick with all 9mm so I sold it.

https://youtu.be/asRv1hXSjjI

I've been following the comp comparison thread. Tons of great information there. For some reason (ironically), it's not making my decision any easier though...

Again, thanks for the help.

Bob

I have only one piece of advice: keep moving forward. If you build a gun with a Cheely comp, two 3/16" holes, and an 11oz slide, shoot it for a season and decide you want to try something different, don't change comps, rebarrel, or cut more weight out of the slide, just build another and sell that one.

I have only one piece of advice: keep moving forward. If you build a gun with a Cheely comp, two 3/16" holes, and an 11oz slide, shoot it for a season and decide you want to try something different, don't change comps, rebarrel, or cut more weight out of the slide, just build another and sell that one.

Only issue with that strategy is I'm in California and I'm using an 80% frame (with all of the legal hurdles that entails) so selling isn'the option. Of course I could just start a collection of Open guns...

More likely I'll build whatever I build and shoot it til I get good(ish) with it.

I have a cheely comp on my 5" gun. No holes. 10.5 ounce slide. It's much softer but lifts more.

It's an easier gun to shoot, but I'm not as fast with it.

Is your preference softer shooting at the expense of some muzzle flip? Would barrel holes mitigate the flip to any significant degree?

Thanks for the info.

Bob

it sounds like you prefer a flatter gun over a softer gun. which means you don't mind a harder hit in the hand providing the gun sits flat.

in that case what you want is a mix of holes and a comp. smaller 2-4 port comps (like cheely and SV) work well with holes.

2-3 3/16th or 1/8th holes and a comp like the cheely would be a great place to start.

If you want softer then avoid the holes and run a larger comp like a trubor, brazos etc. gun will be softer but not as flat.

Bob, as it happens, I had a conversation with George from EGW last night concerning barrels, cones and comps. I had seen some of the Open gun he built years ago (when he was still building guns) and they had coned comps. I asked him why he didn't use the more "conventional" bull barrel. His response was this (I'm paraphrasing). A coned comp removes weight. A bull barrel is heavier. The barrel is part of the reciprocating mass, at least for the first 1/4-1/2" or so, and you want to keep that down. He said reducing the weight of the barrel reduces muzzle flip and lets the slide do more of the work. I'll add that I guess by extension, this logic applies to the weight of the cone and comp as well.

The other reasons he offered were that comps wear out, and so do cones and the OD of bull barrels. As long as the barrel is still good, coned comps or conversion cones with comps allow you to fit a new comp and tighten up the cone/barrel to slide fit. It makes sense to me. I'm going to try it.

Hello.

I was looking at Ti comps, specifically the Cheely and Bedell. Not sure if three chambers/four ports is enough/right. Not sure about anything with regards to Open guns for that matter... Also looking at bull barrel, unless someone has a reason not to.

The "five thousand dollar question' with no right answer, but tons of possible wrong answers. Like tap dancing in a mine field.

Bob

Most of what Cheely does came from what he learned from Bedell, so might as well go with the originator and get the Bedell comp, shoot it then decide if you want or need holes

I don't know how many open guns you shot and I don't know if it's a concern, but guns with poppel holes seem to be obnoniously loud and a lot of the time you can feel the percussion smack you in the face like a brick. To most people it's not problem but it really bothers me for some reason. I know it's not part of your question but I thought I would throw it out there because I bought I bought a Steelmaster and hate to shoot it. Every time I pull the trigger I feel like I have to duck for cover because of percussion from the short barrel. I would hate to see you make a $2500.00 mistake like I did. Just my 2 cents worth.

it sounds like you prefer a flatter gun over a softer gun. which means you don't mind a harder hit in the hand providing the gun sits flat.

in that case what you want is a mix of holes and a comp. smaller 2-4 port comps (like cheely and SV) work well with holes.

2-3 3/16th or 1/8th holes and a comp like the cheely would be a great place to start.

If you want softer then avoid the holes and run a larger comp like a trubor, brazos etc. gun will be softer but not as flat.

I'm not sure yet which I prefer but I do know recoil doesn't bother me but looking for a dot after each shot would so I think I'm looking for the best way to keep the dot in the window.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the efficacy of barrel holes but if I'm reading your post right they help fight muzzle flip and do little for recoil.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Bob

Bob, as it happens, I had a conversation with George from EGW last night concerning barrels, cones and comps. I had seen some of the Open gun he built years ago (when he was still building guns) and they had coned comps. I asked him why he didn't use the more "conventional" bull barrel. His response was this (I'm paraphrasing). A coned comp removes weight. A bull barrel is heavier. The barrel is part of the reciprocating mass, at least for the first 1/4-1/2" or so, and you want to keep that down. He said reducing the weight of the barrel reduces muzzle flip and lets the slide do more of the work. I'll add that I guess by extension, this logic applies to the weight of the cone and comp as well.

The other reasons he offered were that comps wear out, and so do cones and the OD of bull barrels. As long as the barrel is still good, coned comps or conversion cones with comps allow you to fit a new comp and tighten up the cone/barrel to slide fit. It makes sense to me. I'm going to try it.

I was wondering about bull vs. cone. Thanks for the info.

Bob

I don't know how many open guns you shot and I don't know if it's a concern, but guns with poppel holes seem to be obnoniously loud and a lot of the time you can feel the percussion smack you in the face like a brick. To most people it's not problem but it really bothers me for some reason. I know it's not part of your question but I thought I would throw it out there because I bought I bought a Steelmaster and hate to shoot it. Every time I pull the trigger I feel like I have to duck for cover because of percussion from the short barrel. I would hate to see you make a $2500.00 mistake like I did. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the warning. While I've never had the opportunity to shoot a gun with barrel holes, I've RO'd a bunch of them and felt what you're talking about to a lesser extent.

Hello.

Bob

Most of what Cheely does came from what he learned from Bedell, so might as well go with the originator and get the Bedell comp, shoot it then decide if you want or need holes

I'm leaning toward the Bedell (for now...), so thanks for the feedback.