Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO legal Glock Frame Insert - Is there such a product out there?

acpie360

• 2 weeks later...

GlockStore has a Thug Plug, but I don't know the look of it inserted and if it extends below the frame.

I was just at a Level2 match and my Glock 17 has about 15 ounces more that I could add.  I'm thinking a tungsten guide rod for firsties. But since my standard plastic grip plug seemed to pass muster at chrono, I'm thinking maybe I ought to just:

1) remove grip plug

2) cut open a few bird shot shells

3) mix some JBWeld into a bunch of the shot and stuff it into the grip space

4) shove some of the mixture into the grip plug, itself

5) replace the grip plug

Any ideas on this plan?

• 2 months later...

Don't know if anyone has tried it yet, but I'm going to build a G34 MOS carry optic gun and try to get it as heavy as possible.  I'll let everyone know how it goes - using a tungsten guide rod and the ZEV heavy brass insert shaved to be CO legal.  Other than that, it will be making the mags as heavy as possible. 

I just filed down the ZEV insert to match the contour of the Glock Frame. I also modified it a bit more so I could get the medium backstrap onto the gun before doing my grip job. Weight and balance of the gun is starting to feel like my G22 limited gun which I seem to shoot better than my production gun most days.

• 1 year later...
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, blschultz said:

I just filed down the ZEV insert to match the contour of the Glock Frame. I also modified it a bit more so I could get the medium backstrap onto the gun before doing my grip job. Weight and balance of the gun is starting to feel like my G22 limited gun which I seem to shoot better than my production gun most days.

This is exactly what I did and it works great.  It also still is functional - I can still attach the Zev magwell and shoot the gun in open or limited for 3GUN config. 

Tom

I commented on this thread 16 months ago.  I'd like to I report that my plan to use lead birdshot and epoxy worked GREAT.  I didn't use a grip plug after, though, just smoothed the epoxy at the bottom and Kryloned it black.

Lead in the grip and a tungsten rod is about as heavy as one can make a Glock.  My G17 with milled slide and DeltaPoint is still only 26 ounces empty.

That's why I have switched to a P320X5, at over 2 pounds.

Cost would be considerable, but has anyone put a tungsten sleeve on their glock barrel? Some of the current crop of 2011 Limited blasters have this treatment. While digging around also found that sleeving barrel seems to be kind of trendy in Europe.

A sleeved barrel, tungsten guide rod, and brass grip insert  would add some oz's

15 minutes ago, CHLChris said:

To sleeve the barrel, does one have to open up the barrel hole in the front of the slide?  Seems like that change to the slide would take it out of legal territory for CO.

I was thinking like only a 3/4 length sleeve , leaving the front of the barrel stock. This way all mods would be internal and not visible, thus not changing the profile or altering the slide in any way.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:08 PM, mwx40x40 said:

I was thinking like only a 3/4 length sleeve , leaving the front of the barrel stock. This way all mods would be internal and not visible, thus not changing the profile or altering the slide in any way.

Is there an already someone’s who does this?

I would be curious to know as I don’t think you can sleeve a glock barrel. The issue you’d run into is the clearance between the inside of the slide and the exterior of the barrel.

If you look at a sleeved barrel most of the sleeve is towards the muzzle which would require the end of slide to be modified. Shooting in Limited it wouldn’t be an issue but as others have said it’s a no go for CO.

Regarding filling the grip plug void, I’ve considered filling it with Tungston Putty, it’s the stuff used on Pine Wood Derby cars and in the frames of a NASCAR. It has a density similar to lead and should give more weight than lead shot and epoxy. Plus tungston putty would not be a permanent modification.

a friend gave me some tungsten disc's that I cut up and fitted into the grip hole along with acra-glass gel.  Worked great for weight

and I contoured it the same as a legal plug.

I shoot it in PA at a couple of clubs with CRO's who work level 2 matches and they seemed to think it was OK.

It is also fitted to allow the use of the G4 grip panels

On 12/12/2017 at 12:52 PM, Dutycalls75 said:

Is there an already someone’s who does this?

I would be curious to know as I don’t think you can sleeve a glock barrel. The issue you’d run into is the clearance between the inside of the slide and the exterior of the barrel.

If you look at a sleeved barrel most of the sleeve is towards the muzzle which would require the end of slide to be modified. Shooting in Limited it wouldn’t be an issue but as others have said it’s a no go for CO.

Regarding filling the grip plug void, I’ve considered filling it with Tungston Putty, it’s the stuff used on Pine Wood Derby cars and in the frames of a NASCAR. It has a density similar to lead and should give more weight than lead shot and epoxy. Plus tungston putty would not be a permanent modification.

I know of no one doing this for Glocks. Just a thought , as I know this has been done for other platforms.