Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited - Rust Issues

buckonz

Due to some renovations, I placed all of my "toys" into storage at someone else's house for safe keeping. It included an AR and shogun in one rifle case and 6 pistols in another.

I have since taken possession again yesterday and was putting them away and I noticed quite a bit if rust on my near new STI DVC Limited! All of the other pistols were absolutely fine - except for the DVC.

Rust was found:

- on the rear sight

- on the rear slide serrations

- in the DVC Limited engraving

17b0f489c4b236ebdbd816bde9168674.jpg

ddd33b8de26095d4f62f44ef0fe0e506.jpg

dfe3c448acdd651239c3e5cf9bebb818.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be a warrenty issue. The stainless used in firearms is rust resistant, but it can rust. It has a low enough chrome content that magnets do stick.

Remove the active rust and apply oil before storage.

The oils in some people's sweat is very acidic and will cause hard chrome to rust. Have a friend that hasn't found a finish that he can't rust.

This is me too. I can rust hard chrome. Nobody will let me touch their guns.

The oils in some people's sweat is very acidic and will cause hard chrome to rust. Have a friend that hasn't found a finish that he can't rust.

I understand that, but I don't have this issue. It doesn't explain why this is my only pistol having this issue.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Have them try NP3. Had to get my 2011 mags done in NP3 to prevent rusting. My skin oils are so acidic that I tarnish tungsten carbine.

Just got my 2011 back from Robar for NP3 finish. Gun was hard chromed and began to rust. Sent it back to have re-hard chromed. The rust came back. I do live close to the beach. Hoping them NP3 solves the problem.