Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to buy a new gun

andyroth

I'm thinking about buying a new gun for production division and the CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical in either 9mm or .40 caught my eye.

Currently I shoot a Glock 35 in production with a nice minor load shooting Blue Bullets.

Thoughts/opinions? I need to keep the base price of the gun under $800 so the CZ custom competition guns are out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

An SP-01 is a great choice. It should cost you less than $600 if you can locate one. Later on, there are many things you can do yourself if you are handy to enhance your pistols' functions for $2-300.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've shot a couple of SP-01's and honestly the trigger on them (once it's worked on) its still pretty incredible. Is it as light as a Shadow, no it's not but I don't think it would matter because it is still pretty awesome.

I would probably get a 9 in the CZ platform as well, just because the mag capacity for 40 is comically low (like 12 rounds or something I believe?).

Just saw your other thread, if you aren't completely positive about getting a CZ platform gun then maybe the Grand Power X calibur (like was mentioned) or the Bersa Thunder Pro XT.

The GP is probably going to cost more money than an SP01. The Bersa comes with 5 magazines, tuned trigger, and good sights right out of the box for about 750 bucks.

If it were me I would still look at a regular SP01, it is the heaviest option and would probably be the best for resale value.

My opinion, and its probably worth what you paid for it haha

Bersa:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225619

Grand power:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=207214

Edited by Gooldylocks

I've been shooting a Glock 34 in production. I picked up an SP 01 (non Shadow) and added some CGW sights, springs, and G10 grips. Nice shooting gun and accurate pistol. Even though it has a firing pin block, the trigger (SA and DA) are excellent now. You can stay within budget following that route (except perhaps the G10 grips). I will still shoot the G34 occasionally (and in 3-Gun). I like 1911s and the SP 01 handles/feels like a "double-stack" 1911 to me. I don't think you will regret getting one.

New stock shadows are really hard to find right now. I'm thinking they aren't making them anymore and they have all been bought up. There's a surplus of the 1200 dollar models though.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I bought an SP-01 Tactical in .40

I did laugh at the comically low round count in the magazine, but since I'm shooting production with it, it will only get 10 rounds anyway.

Already bought a 12lb recoil spring for my minor load, and am looking at sights now.

I did laugh at the comically low round count in the magazine, but since I'm shooting production with it, it will only get 10 rounds anyway.

Already bought a 12lb recoil spring for my minor load, and am looking at sights now.

Congratulations! Your 40 minor load in that big heavy steel gun is probably good feel like cheating! [emoji48]

Congratulations! Your 40 minor load in that big heavy steel gun is probably good feel like cheating! [emoji48]

Yep. Already feels like cheating in my glock too.

I'm thinking about switching to 165gn bullets though and bumping the powder a little bit. The brass comes out of the gun like a little old lady crossing the street.

You might try an even lighter spring. I use a 13 for major loads, so while 12 would probably work an 11 or maybe even a 10 might get your slide speed up for better ejection. You can go lower on the recoil spring with this that you can with a Glock, because you don't have to worry about the striker holding the gun out of battery.

You might try an even lighter spring. I use a 13 for major loads, so while 12 would probably work an 11 or maybe even a 10 might get your slide speed up for better ejection. You can go lower on the recoil spring with this that you can with a Glock, because you don't have to worry about the striker holding the gun out of battery.

You're probably right. Although I want to leave the spring heavy enough that factory ammo won't beat the gun to death.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...