Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&w Oal (did I Screw This Up)

USA1911

OK, I think I had a brain fart while loading some .40 S&W last night.

I only made 100 rounds, but here is my question:

The OAL measured at 1.117 and I wanted to load to 1.17 (I know better now :wacko: )

The rest of the load is:

180 gr West Coast plated FP

3.6 gr VV N320

Federal SPP

Winchester case

Is this load safe to shoot or should I just pull the bullets and start over?

TIA for your response.

This is my opinion only, do what you think is best. The manuals usually call for 1.125 as factory length. 40 S&W has a lot of case pressure, and shortening it usually increases this, but you are using a very light powder charge at 3.6, not a major load to begin with. With a difference of .008, I would fire them in practice, but that is just me, do what you think is best.

While it's a 5% error in OAL, it looks awful big, to me (set calipers to .053). Keeping in mind what fomeister said (it's apparently a light charge), and that he's quite possibly right, I might still err on the "weenie" side, and pull 'em. But, that's me.... High pressure cartridges with fast burning powder are probably the least forgiving to load, and with my expensive pistol (and priceless hand) as my only means to "test" such loads, well.... not worth whatever potential risk there is, to me...

If in doubt pull the bullets.

I've got 200 rds. of .40 in the garage I need to do that with due to a glitch, now fixed, in my 1050. I loaded the ammo, slept on the idea that there MIGHT be a double charge somewhere in the batch, and got up at 0500 the next morning and loaded more ammo for that days match. Even if I scrap it it's cheaper than replacing a gun to say nothing of the peace of mind.

Thanks folks.

I think I will weenie out and pull them.

I have a brand new STI Eagle 5.0 in .40 S&W and pulling the rounds is a LOT cheaper than ruining a new gun.

Appreciate the advice.

Stay safe.

Thanks folks.

I think I will weenie out and pull them.

I have a brand new STI Eagle 5.0 in .40 S&W and pulling the rounds is a LOT cheaper than ruining a new gun.

Appreciate the advice.

Stay safe.

OK, quick question!

Why are you loading so short for an STI? Seems most people load STI's to about 1.20"! Mine loves them at 1.20" :D

I would pull them too if that makes ya feel any better.

You can email your question to the VV technical advisor. He is located in the US.

I really do not know that much about reloading. It is my understanding that the shorter the OAL the more pressure you build. As others have said, this is not good for a high pressure round.

On the other side, 3.6 grains is pretty light.

I used 4.9gr, 180 JHP MG, OAL of 1.19-1.2. This gives me a power factor of around 170. I use significantly more powder. I use about 36% more powder and my case is only 6% longer.

You could always spend $15 for a bullet puller, pull the bullets and reuse your components.

I load long because my guns feeds more reliable with the longer round. If I do not load long, my nice expensive gun turns into a Jam-O-Matic.

I know many folks with STI Edges that feed factory ammo.

You know for years and years and years, I shot 40's, 45, 9m and 357 and never ever even once mearsured the OAL. I used a chamber gage and if it fit and didn't stick out the top........Too Much.......I shot it. In my .45 colt I never ever had any feed problems, nor with any 9mm through 2-3 different guns. I have had some feeding problems with 40's but the problems were mag springs and not related to OAL. as long as you don't put a double charge in a casing, I don't think you would ever have a problem. just my thoughts.

While it's a 5% error in OAL, it looks awful big, to me ...

It's worth remembering that what makes for higher pressure in a shorter round is not the change in the length of the cartridge, but the change in the powder volume inside the case. The length of the bullet and the thickness of the case web are fixed for the round being loaded (a total of 0.800" to 0.825" for 180 grain jacketed loads) so a change in OAL is going to be at the expense of the powder volume. Loaded to the SAAMI spec maximum OAL of 1.135", a 5% change in OAL will cause a powder volume decrease of 17% or more, which is an awful lot.

XRe is right, it IS awful big... :unsure:

Kevin C.

You know for years and years and years, I shot 40's, 45, 9m and 357 and never ever even once mearsured the OAL. I used a chamber gage and if it fit and didn't stick out the top........Too Much.......I shot it. In my .45 colt I never ever had any feed problems, nor with any 9mm through 2-3 different guns. I have had some feeding problems with 40's but the problems were mag springs and not related to OAL. as long as you don't put a double charge in a casing, I don't think you would ever have a problem. just my thoughts.

I'm glad you had some tough, well made guns there, were probably using published recipes, and have good luck and good fortune with you (remind me to stick with you come the next earthquake or tidal wave :P )

Personally, I would never handload ammunition without calipers, scale, chrono, well made guns I trust, and a healthy dose of caution on top of everything else. B)

Just my two cents.

Kevin C.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started with one cannister each of N320, N330, N340 and 3N37. Like most using Viht in .40, I ended up w/ N320. 3N37 worked, but it was a lot more powder than the N320 load for the same velocity.

Kevin C.

Lets put this into dollars and time:

100 rounds estimated cost $6.50

Load time less than 30 minutes

Driving to the range...not much time.

Here's the what if.....

Either the rounds run or KABOOM (case failure) = lots of downtime!

So the question becomes - are you prepared to deal with the consequences over a $6.50 mistake?

I agree with Flex. OAL should be 1.17 to 1.20.