Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm "fire for effect" load....just for fun

docscoutjr

Now, lets keep this safe and on the books, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried to generate huge fireballs out of their 9mm's. 8.5 of Bluedot and 90g bullet in a 4" barrel....very interesting :)

FYI the attached picture is with a 686 4", 124g TMJ.

Edited by docscoutjr

Never did it with a 9mm, but I have done it with a 15" .308 handgun and sabots for .22 bullets. Not intentionally for the sake of the fireball, but for velocity.

The load data that was given to me when I bought my sabots used some ridiculously slow powder (very safe) for the case size and the lightweight payload. It could be seen in the huge resulting fireball. I went to a much faster powder that normally can't be used for .308 and got a much different effect. Now I don't know if it was because of the fluorescent lighting, but I could see the pressure wave exiting the barrel and the more efficient fireball. More of the ghostly fireball and much less of a large yellow flame. Getting off topic, but if I remember correctly, I could check my load data, I was getting something like 3600 fps out of that handgun with my best loads. I gave up because I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted at 100 yards. I was getting groups of 3" and that's not what I wanted.

Lots of the guys in the local machinegun club (Hiram Maxim Historical Society, if I remember correctly) load for fireball effect.

All you have to do is load up some 9mm 115's JHP with 6.0 grains of Powerpistol. Flash is a like a photo being taken in the dark.

Very accurate and safe load. People will ask if you are shooting major.

I tried my steel challenge load of a 95gr Montana Gold with 7.6gr of HS-6 in a non-comped gun. Here is the best screencap I could of the fireball. Sorry for the poor angle and lighting conditions.

post-56112-0-11862200-1459710289_thumb.p

Haven't done it with 9mm, but used to load max loads in .357 with blue dot. MY recoil junky so wanted them. Cleared out through indoor range a few times with those loads. Lots of bang, lots of flame.

Never done it with 9mm, case seems too small to pack full of slow powder. You can get a good flash but not a crazy flamethrower. Need .357 and up for that sort of silliness.

Had a 1911 .45 Win Mag load that would cause a lot of shock and awe. Fireballs three feet long and two feet across. After a mag dump you'd want to go find a mirror and make sure you still had your eyebrows. Stupidly fun.

Never done it with 9mm, case seems too small to pack full of slow powder. You can get a good flash but not a crazy flamethrower. Need .357 and up for that sort of silliness.

Had a 1911 .45 Win Mag load that would cause a lot of shock and awe. Fireballs three feet long and two feet across. After a mag dump you'd want to go find a mirror and make sure you still had your eyebrows. Stupidly fun.

that indeed would be fun!

A couple folks asked "why" or suggested this was some hillbilly stunt. Why?, other than it being fun, there is a bit of a backstory here. There are two guns that helped cure me of all flinching, the first is obvious a .44 blackhawk, learn how to shoot a .44 full load of H110 consistently your good. The second was a .30 carbine Ruger revolver. That was a real head game because it is so loud and the concussion was pretty significant, yet there was no more recoil than an mild .38. Adding a huge fireball to the equation was just another way to train out any flinch whatsoever. Or at leas that is my story :) I think this is what I love about black powder shooting so much is that there is a whole lot more going on than just a bang and hole in the target.

Get a 22tcm... Awesome gun! 1911 para type double stack or single stack if u like. Can get them w a 9mm barrel as well. Big fire ball. Loud as an open gun. Bunny fart soft and 5lb recoil spring. I added a 38 super barrel to mine. It was awesome!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk