Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Para Or Used Sti?

North

What would be better? Getting a new para p16 limited and working it up with a dawson mag-well, fiber front sight, tungsten rod, trigger job; or getting a used STI off of the USPSA classifieds?

Money is tight so its a either or?

A new STI and 40SW reloading equipment is not in the books.

I'll say make sure you budget for the reloading equipment first, then see what you have left over.

I would also recommend a used STI over a new Para but if it's not in your budget I wouldn't recommend a new Para. Between this site and the USPSA site you can find a nice used Para with all of the bells and whistles and mags you would want at a good price.

When you and your budget are ready for that new or used STI, you can sell that Para and probably get all of your money out of it.

My $.02.

THC

If you are on a budget, like I was, go with the Para. I picked up a relatively new P16-40 Limites SS with 4 hicap mags, belt, holster and 2000 rounds ammo for $900. The gun will not hold you back in USPSA, your skills will, so do not fall for "get STI/SVI because everyone else is shooting one. There are plenty of gunsmithes that do work on them and plenty of aftermarket parts to trick it out like you want it. For those that will tell you the parts are inferior in Para, well I have over 10,000 rounds through mine shooting major loads and not one broken part so far, and if I break something I am still coming out cheaper than STI/SVI.

And to finish, just remember, Todd Jarret wins with Para and Rob Leatham wins with Springfield ( which is kind of a Para clone).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...