Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frustration, 25 Yds, Rds Consistently To Left

Bob C

Just got back from the range after practicing strong hand/weak hand and 25 yd shooting. From 25 yds, my groups were consistently to the left, usually center of target. After reading Brian's book, I tried to concentrate on a neutral grip and watching the sight lift etc. It appeared that the rds were center of tgt but when I checked they were always off to the left. I tried lighter, stronger grips etc and concentrated on pulling trigger straight back. The groups still to the left, it got to the point where I had to shut it down because I was only getting more frustrated and. It seems easy in theory when Brian explains it but for some reason it was not working. What is acceptable from 25 yds and what is an average group when shooting freestyle. Any suggestions on how to improve the next out? Any advice would be much appreciated. Regards Bob.

Shoot from a solid rest (Freestyle, SHO and WHO all from a rest-- this is very instructive). Still off-target? Adjust sights. If not, the problem's you (this is one of those bad-news-insights that will have you posting in "Things I Noticed" and will greatly improve your shooting if you have the right attitude about it)

Freestyle, being able to put two rounds into the upper A/B of an IPSC target at 25 is pretty much all you'll ever be called upon to do.

SHO, on a good day with no time pressure, all main-target A's is good.

WHO.. try for all A-C to begin with and work from there.

I do a drill on a fixed US popper at 40 yards (a piece of 8.5x11 paper will also work)

Load 3 mags, five rounds each.

String 1- Freestyle

String 2- SHO

String 3- WHO

The rules of each string are once you bring the gun up, you can't bring it back down until you've fired all five shots, but you have all the time you want. Score is how many you hit.

If your shots don't go where you called them either the gun is not sighted in or you are not seeing the sights when the gun goes off. It's not good enough to see the sights before and after you have to see them when the gun goes off. It only takes a small amount of trigger pressure to the left to make the shots go left at 25 yds. Really pay attention to the front sight and see if that helps. Also once you get a pattern started on a target either with bullet holes or pasters it's easy for that to draw your eye and unintentionaly keep shooting into that pattern.

Anyone have any tips on fixing this issue. I went out shooting twice last week, and had the EXACT same problem. I benched it, and held it within about 4 or 5 inches... which is good for me. :-) So, I think my pistol is good, but my shooting is bad.

I can really see it when dry firing using Dual Action. It I can see just before it breaks, how the front of the gun jumps just to the left, and then back. I keep trying to figure out how to pull straight back, and continue to have problems. I have Matt Burkett's 1-3 video, and have tried to replicate that hold, along with trying to do what BE suggests in his book, but they seem pretty similiar to me.

Anyone have any good methods for breaking the twitchy finger habit?

Rifter, I assume you mean firing a pistol double action? You are seeing the sight wiggle over just as the shot breaks so you know what's happening, that's a good start.

Practice getting the first part of the trigger pull out of the way, kinda like taking the slack out of a single action only heavier and quicker. You should do this dry firing experimenting how far you can get without breaking the shot, a very slight hesitation and then excecute a single action style trigger press building up the pressure until the gun fires. You should be watching for that sight wiggle, when it doesn't you've done it right just repeat a few thousand times. You may have to experiment where you finger fits on the trigger to get it right for you. YMore than likely you will have a lot of overtravel and will need to practice catching yourself after the trigger breaks rather than slaming against the back of the trigger guard. I use the analogy of throwing a punch and missing but not taking yourself off ballance in the process. A trigger job and an overtravel stop would be a big help if possible. The more difficult the shot the more patient you have to be with that last bit of trigger press.

Your hands/fingers are not mirror images left/right. If you are normally right handed then your left-hand fingers will generally be straighter than your right-hand fingers.

This is caused by wear/tear. All through life we use one hand more often than the other and this - over time - alters the strength and alignment of the bones/muscles/tendons in that hand.

If the pull to the left is consistent then just aim slightly to the right on the few occasions that you have to shoot weak-hand only.

Another thing to try; If you are right-handed and right-eye dominant then try closing the right eye when you shoot with the left hand. The left eye will be more in line with the gun now it is in the left hand. See if this makes any difference. B)

• 1 month later...

Dry fire, then dry fire some more. Pay attention to what the sights are doing as you pull the trigger. Find a technique so the sights stay on target throughout the pull. Dry fire this until it deep muscle memory kicks in.

It worked for me.

Dryfire cured me of that issue. You have to watch the front sight during the entire trigger pull. If it is moving AT ALL then you know why the bullet is breaking left. If you have a flat front sight, put a dime on it or empty shell casing. Pull the trigger with that in place and keep it from falling off. Then repeat, repeat, repeat. ;)

as others said..dryfire and watch your sights and see where your finger is on the trigger..

then...this is what helps me when I get a bad flinch in or like now..learning a double action production gun..

dot drill...

start at 10 yards.. set up a 1 inch dot or square piece of black tape on target..

shoot six shots all on the dot ( touching )..all the time in the world..just get them grouped..

then one shot draws..all shots in the dot..

then draw, two shot..

then draw, two shots, reload, two shots..

then do it strong hand only..

then do it weak hand only.

then move back to 15 yards, 20 yards, and 25 yards..

I find this really helps me settle back into good trigger control and watching my sights...and really builds my confidence in matches where there are difficult shots..