Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Step in Open Pistol Evolution?

Rudukai13

So I've been curious about something for just about as long as I've known about Open Division competition pistols. I have a tendency to be curious about the "next big step" for just about everything that catches my interest - What's new, innovative, interesting, etc. So my question to you all is;

What will be the "next big step" in the design and construction of Open pistols? Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

I think it will be better powder and dots. I don't know how much advance in the pistols but I think components will become better. Perhaps powder, dots, dot mounts, grips and springs ect ect... Perhaps more balance in the gun. TI frame and slide. Steel grip and tungsten sleeved barrel.

Could be a bigger "wow that's awesome" factor. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Here's an addendum to the original question - Do you think there will be more or less diversity/originality in the design and engineering of the pistols and components in future years? Are we likely to see more people trying new and innovative things, or will the pistols start to become more and more alike?

I'm excited to see the binary engineering dot! Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it run!

+1

Until a new handgun comes out that is accepted by the competition community like the 2011 platform, I think designs are pretty well tapped out. We have seen no barrel holes, lots of holes, big comps, small comps, metal frames, plastic grips and now metal again..

I am wondering about the Detonics/STI partnership, and if it will produce a gun that could be seen as competitive in this game. The striker fired 2011 that they talk about is certainly interesting in concept at least.

Here's an addendum to the original question - Do you think there will be more or less diversity/originality in the design and engineering of the pistols and components in future years? Are we likely to see more people trying new and innovative things, or will the pistols start to become more and more alike?

I think that builders and end users all have strong enough personal opinions that there will always be some diversity. But yet again, is anything REALLY that innovative at this point? It seems like it has all been done.

I think that there is enough diversity in the shooters as well as pistols that there will always be similarities and differences. What works for 1 person doesn't for another. I think that will keep things interesting. 6 foot 4 250 lbs can shoot an up an gun with a big comp and a ton of holes grip n rip and not bat an eye. Same gun and someone smaller it will kick like crazy and take forever to get a follow up shot.

i'm not sure there is much left to innovate when it comes to the gun. optics-sure, there will be smaller, more adjustable stuff coming. mags-i think there are several ideas out there that might get R&D'd to allow for some rather interesting interpretations on the 170mm length. ammo-look for even lighter bullets once some better slow burning powder arrives.

i'm not sure there is much left to innovate when it comes to the gun. optics-sure, there will be smaller, more adjustable stuff coming. mags-i think there are several ideas out there that might get R&D'd to allow for some rather interesting interpretations on the 170mm length. ammo-look for even lighter bullets once some better slow burning powder arrives.

I've often wondered about a mag that widens out below the mag well!

I've often wondered about a mag that widens out below the mag well!
I have too. Only issue I see is spacer and getting bullets stuck. If you did 2 smaller springs and a split follower you may be able to get a T_shape but I think that would get outlawed or labeled as a "drum mag"

My question is if 38 super comp or 9x23 ever became a NATO cartage or brass was just as cheap and plentiful as 9mm would that change the game? Would that make 38 more popular?

what would make a pistol better?

Is even more reliable, better?

is everything you want and at half the current price, better?

perhaps we can start a luger p08 competition

and the winner will be the guy who tosses the pistol the farthest

after the fourth malfunction. (I hear they are famous for jams...)

miranda

Major 9 was shot before they banned the 9x19 round for major (175pf). One of the best powders for it was WW540 (a.k.a HS-6)...and that still is one of the popular (and safest) powders for it at the new 165 pf. IMO what made 9maj viable was the dropping of the major power factor floor from 175 to 165.

Back to the topic - Anything that would improve reliability would be good, but I think the next breakthrough will be the red-dot form factor. The C-more is 24-ish years old and hasn't changed much since it came out. It works good for USPSA, but is kind of bulky and the reliability is good but not spectacular. It would be nice to have a small package, big window, light weight, no fogging, self cleaning, long battery life, POI=POA 100% of the time, robust and reliable red-dot that also sighted itself in. That would be cool!

Edited by Bamboo

Actually significant changes in design would require Open Div to actually be open and unlimited. Using arbitrary restrictions for the sake of keeping cheap people competitive is what strangles good innovation.

I agree that the optic is the obvious focus for the industry right now, but the market is saturated. There are more than enough brands of red dots for the field of people actually buying them.

In the Open/Unlimited/Freestyle divisions of several sport/games there is an expectation that that's where someone who wants an edge is going to redesign something to improve upon it.

When we say things like Open division requires _ caliber, _ bullet weight, cannot have mags bigger than _, we prevent people from designed more competitive versions that would be superior and improve the industry's state of technology.

I think any equipment based sport/game that has a Open/Unlimited/Freestyle division shouldn't have any non-safety related restrictions, otherwise it's not actually Open.

People who want to avoid "equipment races" should stick to standardized playing fields, the whole point of Open-type competitions is to be the equipment race for the rest of the divisions. Let the weird exotic calibers/magazine designs/bullet styles/etc play. If it's safe, it should be allowed in Open.