Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me Out of a mark 7 (or into one)

Seriously considering ordering a 1050 and mark7 autodrive. I plan on shooting 50-60k of .40 a year between myself and father. Will be dedicated to only .40. I'll keep my other presses for the little 9mm we do.

I am currently using a hornady LNL AP with good results but it isn't crazy fast and fighting elbow issues from so much reloading / shooting.

So mark 7 and 1050 or what? Any issues to be aware of.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it, you won't regret it! I upgraded from a 650 to a 1050 with a Mark 7 last November and it was well worth it. Before I had the Mark 7 I was always scrambling to load ammo the night before a match or before a practice session. With the Mark 7 I can run it for an hour and load all the ammo I'll need for practice and matches for a week.

Since you'll be upgrading to a completely new press I would probably suggest running the 1050 without the auto drive for a week or two so you can learn on it and get the feel for it before you put it on the Mark 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you're shooting 1,000+ rounds a week I'd say a 1050 + bullet feeder is the right tool for you. That will mean about an hour on the press each week plus probably another hour in the prep work etc. so about 2 hours a week to get your 1,000 rounds.

From there you can decide to go mark 7 if you want. All it will change is no more handle pulling. Given your volume you'd probably be ok either way. An hour a week handle pulling is not too bad but it sure is nicer to make it zero. :)

I have had a couple of the automated 1050's...The Mark 7 is a dream to run, the digital jam sense is awesome...I load about 1500 a week and with my bad shoulder I could never do it without it..Like I said, I have a chain drive and PW, NON come close to the ease of the Mark 7.

The Mark 7 is a dream to run, the digital jam sense is awesome..

A jam sensor can be added to PW drive for $14, nothing special about it.

You are so right about the shoulder - I already had torn rotator cuff and my shoulder is sensitive, so a power drive is a must for me.

Anyone loading with the pro? 2400 rph sounds fast to load(not processing). I'm ordering one Monday and not sure if it is worth the pro. I only load 9mm. I'm assuming it is for processing as I can imagine powder would fly everywhere.

Edited by echotango

No brainer. IMHO you don't need the pro for reloading, that makes more sense for commercial brass processing. Running at upper speeds acn present additional challenges to reliability, and based on experience I will always choose reliability over top speed. A single malfunction eats up any time saved and is annoying to boot.

If you are so inclined, you probably COULD use the Pro for somewhat faster 9mm brass pre-processing (decap/size/swage/U-die re-size) but that can run in almost unattended mode so who cares if it takes a little longer?

With a 1050/MBF/Mark 7 I can have an early dinner/evening with my wife, then load 1000 rounds from soup to nuts (load primer tubes, load ammo, case gauge ammo), then dry fire for an hour and STILL probably get to bed earlier than I could before. Also, I don't have the tendinitis from over-using my left and right elbows from pulling the damn handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... ordered 3/12. Supposed to go out this week, but no shipping info yet, hence the question.

Sounds as if we were similarly spec' d, but I asked about subbing the GSI feeder a couple of weeks ago. Supposed to make a game day decision on the GSI or MBF, but apparently GSI has gone radio silent.

Have had the press up and running for a couple of weeks now - after keeping two LNL's running for the past several years the 1050 is like going from a Camry to an M4! It just works. Color me blue, I am a convert.

...and yes, waiting sucks. Especially when you have forked out that much scratch in advance!

Mike