Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 or 9 for uspsa ss

Justinmac13

I have been shooting SS exclusively for the last year or so, including nationals, some sectionals, an area match, and I'll be doing a couple area matches this year as well in SS.

people claim that 40 is more versatile, but if you read the fine print, everyone seems to report issues of one sort or another trying to run 10 rounds of 40. I'm sure in theory it's a great idea, I just haven't yet seen it work out in practice. I don't know how many of the people in this thread recommending 40 minor have actually tried it......

at around .02/round difference in price, you only have to shoot 50k rounds of 9mm for the gun to pay for itself, so it makes sense to me to own 2 different guns for major and minor.

and fwiw, i have only seen 1 match so far (ss nationals) where I thought major was an advantage. That will vary with your skill and preference, but I find myself pretty frequently going out to 10 rounds and saving an awkward reload, or skipping a position. I figure on a typical field stage, each charlie with minor costs me .2 seconds compared to a charlie with major, but a standing reload costs more like 2 or 2.5 seconds.... which is a lot of charlies. You may also have to find you shoot more deliberately (slower) at steel with only 8 rounds.

So my advice is buy 2 guns and shoot alot, and decide what works for yourself. At worst, you can sell the gun you don't use after a year or two.

Edited by motosapiens

Hello: I am going to start shooting single stack right after area 6. I plan on shooting both minor and major and see what works out better for me. I think it will be minor 9 but will give my 40 and 45 an even chance. Classifiers the advantage will go to major. Thanks, Eric

Classifiers the advantage will go to major.

that has been my experience, although certain classifiers (down the middle, for example) it doesn't much matter. also the more steel there is, the less advantage major has. Open targets is kind of a wash I think, but partials or long shots or weak hand (where one throws lots of charlies) really tilt towards major.

of course SS hf's are bizarrely higher than production anyway, which is weird to me since I shoot pretty much identically with my cz and with my 1911.

External ballistics have very little to do with it.

Slower projectiles have a longer barrel dwell time. The longer the bullet is in the barrel during recoil, the higher the pistol is pointing by the time the bullet exits the barrel. This is why heavier bullets hit higher than lighter ones, the lighter faster bullet is gone before the muzzle flips up as high.

There's a lot of variables, you need to shoot a load to see the point of impact. I just prefer to set up one gun to one load.

Your statement about barrel dwell time corroborates my observation concerning the effect of a heavier bullet on point of impact, but my understanding was never as crisp and clear as your statement.

Thanks for passing that along.

Chris

Edited by cohland

External ballistics have very little to do with it.

Slower projectiles have a longer barrel dwell time. The longer the bullet is in the barrel during recoil, the higher the pistol is pointing by the time the bullet exits the barrel. This is why heavier bullets hit higher than lighter ones, the lighter faster bullet is gone before the muzzle flips up as high.

There's a lot of variables, you need to shoot a load to see the point of impact. I just prefer to set up one gun to one load.

Your statement about barrel dwell time corroborates my observation concerning the effect of a heavier bullet on point of impact, but my understanding was never as crisp and clear as your statement.

Thanks for passing that along.

Chris

Is it a function of weight or velocity?

I started SS with a 9mm. It was a great gun to learn the platform. Eventually I got a 1911 in 40 and found that my scores went up noticeably, since I am not always accurate enough to get all alphas.

When I do bill drills or el prez, my times shooting 40 major are not appreciably different than shooting 9 minor. Only once in a while will I find a stage at a local match that requires a standing reload, so 40 is not really much of a handicap.

Now I practice with 9 and compete with 40. Both guns are set up identically.

+ 1 on Tripp 10 round 10mm/40sw mags: they fit the box, feed reliably and with 8 rounds seat super easy.

• 6 months later...