Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 or 9 for uspsa ss

Justinmac13

I am looking to get into the ss game sometime soon and am having a hard time deciding to go after 2 extra rounds or major pf, I am not used to shooting anything but production so I am a little worried how I will handle the recoil of major pf, I could always load down to minor with 40 if it was an issue I guess. What are your thoughts? In 40 I was looking at the Trojan, in 9 I was thinking the Trojan or dw pm9.

.40 seems to be the hot way to go right now. Carry major and minor PF ammo to a match and you can decide based on the stages. Major gives you the 8 rds but easier to reload the mag vs. .45. Find the right mags and you can run minor at capacity of 10.

Do you want to stock more than one flavor of ammunition around the house? Are you looking to do something more different from production?

Aside from nationals, Single Stack is the one division where major & minor play evenly.

Coming from my 8-shot Revo I wanted to play with major, so I chose 45. I already loaded 45 and I don't shoot limited so .40 didn't appeal to me. Every time you add another caliber that's another few thousand rounds of loaded ammo sitting around the house.

.40 seems to be the hot way to go right now. Carry major and minor PF ammo to a match and you can decide based on the stages. Major gives you the 8 rds but easier to reload the mag vs. .45. Find the right mags and you can run minor at capacity of 10.

I'm anal about my zero. I have a hard time believing there isn't a difference in elevation between major and minor out of the same gun.

Do you want to stock more than one flavor of ammunition around the house? Are you looking to do something more different from production?

Aside from nationals, Single Stack is the one division where major & minor play evenly.

Coming from my 8-shot Revo I wanted to play with major, so I chose 45. I already loaded 45 and I don't shoot limited so .40 didn't appeal to me. Every time you add another caliber that's another few thousand rounds of loaded ammo sitting around the house.

Depending how the ss goes, I believe I will eventually get the temptation to also step up to a 2011 for limited. I only want to plan to load 9mm and 40, so I wanted to stay away from 45 so I don't have to swap between small and large primers. I have been leaning towards 40 for ss but wanted to see the general responses before pulling the trigger.

If you're planning on getting into Limited/Limited 10 at some point, I think you've already answered your own question. As noted already, you can choose to shoot major or minor in 40 depending on what the courses would favor. Since you'll be reloading, you can make the 40 much more pleasant with your choice of powder and projectile.

More 9mm shooters around here. Major is probably 50/50 45 and 40.

Don't blame you on not wanting to load an extra caliber. I see 40 as a good option for major. I just can't see shooting major/minor in the same gun without changing springs and sights, folks do it though. Other folks will need to chime in, but don't the 9 round 40 mags run a little better than the 10's? At the very least, 8 rounds of 40 is gonna seat a lot easier than 10.

I'm anal about my zero. I have a hard time believing there isn't a difference in elevation between major and minor out of the same gun.

Adjustable rear sight and knowing your where your ammo shoots will solve this.

Adjustable rear sight and knowing your where your ammo shoots will solve this.

Yup!

Look at a bistics calculator. At the distances we shoot at you might be surprised.

If you reload, shoot .40 Major, if you shoot bought ammo, shoot 9mm Minor and be accurate. My wife shoots 9mm Minor and crushes it with Alphas. I shoot with .40 and get some C's. Up to you.

Look at a bistics calculator. At the distances we shoot at you might be surprised.
External ballistics have very little to do with it.

Slower projectiles have a longer barrel dwell time. The longer the bullet is in the barrel during recoil, the higher the pistol is pointing by the time the bullet exits the barrel. This is why heavier bullets hit higher than lighter ones, the lighter faster bullet is gone before the muzzle flips up as high.

There's a lot of variables, you need to shoot a load to see the point of impact. I just prefer to set up one gun to one load.

Pistols having a lower bore axis don't have have as large a issue with point of impact point of aim as revolvers do. My 1911 shooting 185 vs 228 is a none issue with USPSA. My 625 is a issue.

Pistols having a lower bore axis don't have have as large a issue with point of impact point of aim as revolvers do. My 1911 shooting 185 vs 228 is a none issue with USPSA. My 625 is a issue.

I think caliber has a lot to do with it as well. 185 vs 228 is a just over a 23% change. A 115 vs a 147 is a 27% change, and I typically see an impact change somewhere about an inch at 10 yards with customers 9mm guns. If your group size is 4 to 5 inches at 10 yards you'll likely never notice, if you stack one on top of another it'll matter more. Edited by PatJones

External ballistics have very little to do with it.

Slower projectiles have a longer barrel dwell time. The longer the bullet is in the barrel during recoil, the higher the pistol is pointing by the time the bullet exits the barrel. This is why heavier bullets hit higher than lighter ones, the lighter faster bullet is gone before the muzzle flips up as high.

There's a lot of variables, you need to shoot a load to see the point of impact. I just prefer to set up one gun to one load.

I did not think about dwell time, makes sense. If you are decreasing bullet weight (I shoot 200s for Maj, and thought 165 might be a good choice for minor if I were to go that route) the velocity required to make major in the heavy will be close to minor with the lighter bullet. I would think dwell time would also be nearly identical, as would external ballistics; correct? There would be a larger amount of surface area contact on the barrel with the heavier loads, maybe that would affect it. I too only like one load for a gun. I went major and stick with it. Not only do I know the sights and gun run correctly, it makes the game the same every time. I am not trying to say you are wrong, just trying to learn; as I am at best a part timer when it comes to this. I did throw away the 165s I had (only have about 50) so I can't do an experiment at this point.

9mm 1911s are great to shoot, ammo is cheaper, and brass is easier to come by. There are also many more options for 9mm than .40. If you just want to shoot and have fun, 9mm would get my vote.

.40 is more versatile as it gives you the option to shoot major or minor, and I think its a better choice if you are serious about competing/winning.