Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 in Limited

rukwikenuf

I'm wanting to setup my sp01 40 to shoot limited major, but I can't seem to find any magwell / base plate combo. Ive got baseplates from Taylor Freelance and a magwell from CZC, but they don't play well together.

Any recommendations? I'd like to have the magwell. I could just ditch it, but I really like the way it works on the Tactical Sports. I just want that performance from the small frame!

Don't bother. The best you can hope for are the Mecgar 12 round mags with the +2 basepads. The Magwell on the CZ75 will only work with the 18 round SP01 mags and only if you run a different basepad.

You should probably go with a Tac Sport, Tanfoglio Limited, or just shoot 9 minor.

Edited by himurax13

How long are your tubes? do they sit flush or are they extended like to the 9mm tubes? CZC makes pads for the flush and long tubes which work with the CZC mag well.

Like others said, the small frame .40's are at a capacity disadvantage for Limited, I would shoot it in L10.

I saw the Taran Tactical pads, but they don't have a matching magwell.

And I am on a little bit of a budget, I have the SP01 9mm, and a spare top end in 40s&w. Ive shot and handled the TacSports and CZ97, I didn't like the size. If a grip reduction can be done, great. But I already have the SP01.

If you really want to shoot Limited Major on a budget, I would suggest taking a look at a Tanfoglio Limited Witness. I have small Ayshun hands and I find it comfortable, even though it has a slightly larger frame than my SP01. I believe it is comparable to a modded Tac Sport or even a 2011.

I haven't done it yet, but trying to help a friend with the same end goal.

12-rd mags: $22.95 (same length as the 9mm 16 rd mag)

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz-mecgar-magazines-base-pads-c-130/cz-75b-cz-75-sp01-12-rd-40-sw-afc-mgcz4012afc-inserted-p-1693.html

Add base pads: $29.99 or $38.00

http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/firepower-base-pad-for-cz75-4/ (looks like beveled top will work better with a mag well, plus more color choices!)

http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/base-pads-extensions/cz-75-extended-base-pad-long.html

Add the updated follower/spring from CZC: $16.90

http://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/base-pads-extensions/czc-spring-and-follower-kit-10.html

You end up with a $70 magazine...I'm thinking 16 rds is doable, maybe squeeze in 17?

To compare, the TS extended ones cost $99 each.

The magwell is still the big question. Not sure what base pads will fit.

Also, still thinking about the tubes available based on since of the others comments above. I'd assumed all tubes were the same length, so if there is one version that's a little bit longer that be a better fit with a magwell. But it may only allow a +2 base pad extension to stay within the 140mm.

I'm sure someone on the forum has tried the options before...

Edited by IronicTwitch

Question, will you be replacing the DA/SA with SA only? Seems like a lot of effort to run a SP-01 in limited and be comparable. I think you will find more options and vendor support on building a Glock or M&P for limmited. The wife runs the M&P with the TTI base pads and they will hold 19 reloadable, 20 on mag 1 to start.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out. I hear the SA trigger only with no FPB rivals the TS.

The magwell is still the big question. Not sure what base pads will fit.

Also, still thinking about the tubes available based on since of the others comments above. I'd assumed all tubes were the same length, so if there is one version that's a little bit longer that be a better fit with a magwell. But it may only allow a +2 base pad extension to stay within the 140mm.

I'm sure someone on the forum has tried the options before...

I guess you missed post #2. ;)

FYI, only the 18 round 9mm SP01 mags will work with the Magwell and only with different basepads. There are no .40 mags currently available that will work with the magwell. To my knowledge, none of the extended basepads will work with the Mecgar 12 round mags except for the optional +2 mags.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

i've run a magwell on an sp01 and to do so I ran the stock 18rnd sp01 mags and took the plastic basepad off and cut it in half, height wise. This allowed it clear the czc magwell. i then also had to trim my grips such that they were short enough for the magwell to slide on. and running the right plug on the end of the mainspring rather than the lanyard loop end.

so yeah, for a small (?) outlay i could shoot an 18rnd gun, with a magwell, in limited but scoring minor. and if you're in it for the fun, then it is perfectly fun. if you're in it to win it, then it's not so fun.

you're finding soo few products because you're trying to do something most people don't find to be an acceptable solution. if you think cz, limited, major, 99% of people and companies will be devoting time and products to the tac sport. understanding the limitations of what you're trying to do might make the outcome you achieve more acceptable to you.

not trying to sell you anything, just hoping you shoot and have fun.

Rowdy, that's exactly my plan. I just want to shut a friend up. Lol. He shoots lim major with a g35 that's had lots of elective work, I wanted to prove that is not necessary

Edited by rukwikenuf

Rowdy, that's exactly my plan. I just want to shut a friend up. Lol. He shoots loom major with a g35 that's had $2k of work, I wanted to prove that is not necessary

LOL, a Tanfoglio Elite Match, with better sights, is probably one of the most cost effective ways to go limited Major and they cost the same as stock glock.

Edited by himurax13

BUT I'VE ALREADY GOT THE SP01! So buying a Tanfolio would be an extra cost to me!

Rowdy, that's exactly my plan. I just want to shut a friend up. Lol. He shoots loom major with a g35 that's had $2k of work, I wanted to prove that is not necessary

LOL, a Tanfoglio Elite Match, with better sights, is probably one of the most cost effective ways to go limited Major.

BUT I'VE ALREADY GOT THE SP01! So buying a Tanfolio would be an extra cost to me!

LOL, a Tanfoglio Elite Match, with better sights, is probably one of the most cost effective ways to go limited Major.

Well do want Rowdy suggested. However I saw very little benefit and lots of fitment issues with the magwell and magazines.

I use my Shadow for Limited in Action Pistol with the 19 round Mecgar. I still decock for consistency, lol.

Edited by himurax13

If you pause this video at 0.52, you'll see me shooting L-10 minor with a SP01 Shadow with the magwell and such as described earlier. This was also my first full USPSA match, so just look at the gun, not my horrible shooting an cursing. hahahahaha

VIDEO

You may want to get a hold of Stuart at CZ Custom, he had (has?) a SP-01 Shadow set up for limited minor, I am sure he can point you in the right direction.

stuart@czcustom.com

I think it would be sweeter (and less research) to use a box stock M&P Pro (better factory trigger & sights than Glock) with a magwell and extended basepads and prove it that way. By sticking with the CZ he has a lot of "But" "But" excuses he can fall back on.