Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Searching for cheap 2011 that uses STI/SVI mags

Absocold

Have a friend that wants a 2011 "starter" gun that he can use for Limited that won't break the bank.

Prefer 9mm. Nothing that uses Para mags (which is a shame since the RIA 2011 is super cheap).

Cheapest I can find is the SPS Pantera but that's still a $1,300 gun. Anyone have a better alternative or should I keep looking for a very used STI?

Edited by Absocold

if you dont want the sps pantera try search metroarms 3011 SSD,I use this

12801108_10208037850440606_2131285564043

MAC3011 SSD .40sw, i use 140mm svi tubes(new version) with TTI basepad(4g2) spring 7 follower smooth 21rds also tried today my new sti mbx 140mm mags and it is smooth as well

Edited by Eliboudreaux

The cheapest modular 1911 in 9mm is gonna be the Pantera. The cheapest double stack 1911 of any variety is gonna be an RIA, as you said, modified for S_I mags. I seem to remember some company sells pre modified mag catches for them for STI mags.

My thinking though would be go with the pantera, since it can use the proper mags from the get go, the plastic grip is smaller than the para framed guns, and it probably would have better resale value.

RIA TAC high-cap 9mm $660

SPS Pantera 2011 9mm $1378

I understand there's a quality difference but that's a HUGE price gap between what's basically the same gun. Paying more than double to have a plastic grip makes me scratch my head at the lack of a more entry level friendly 2011.

Quick, someone loan me half a million dollars for start up costs. I can knock this out in my garage.

RIA TAC high-cap 9mm $660

SPS Pantera 2011 9mm $1378

I understand there's a quality difference but that's a HUGE price gap between what's basically the same gun. Paying more than double to have a plastic grip makes me scratch my head at the lack of a more entry level friendly 2011.

Quick, someone loan me half a million dollars for start up costs. I can knock this out in my garage.

I think there is also a big difference in quality, and the RIA is parked vs the Pantera being hard chrome, but I see what you are saying.

I really don't know why there aren't more modular frame guns out there. It seems weird to me that Armscor doesn't make one, and sell it for 7-900 bucks. They would sell a million of them. Or Ruger, cause they they could bring one to market for cheap with their high quality investment casting.

While we are on the topic of overpriced modular guns and their associated parts, why hasn't Mec-Gar started making 2011 mags?? It would be so awesome to be able to just buy a 30 dollar magazines that were actually in spec and fed worth a damn without a bunch of work.

I have a RIA double stack and it runs really good. For the price I don't think you can go wrong. Like stated above, tweak it a little and use STI mags. As far as resale I think the RIA would be easer to sell then a Pantera. The RIA's are for sale everywhere and people are familiar with them, the SPS is more of a white elephant.

Just my opinion.

I'd skip over getting a "low end" STI (a buddy of mine who recently bought an Edge, a mid-range model, had to send it back for 4 months and it still doesn't run... and he's far from the only example) and take a look at CZ's. Well tuned STI's are great, but you absolutely get what you pay for. If your buddy has to have a 2011, tell him to keep saving. The CZ 75 is an EXTREMELY good platform, and the Tactical Sport is probably the single best dollar-for-dollar Limited gun you could buy. I've run one in .40 for the past year and it has always been 100% reliable (about 18k rounds and 30 some matches), on top of the excellent shooting characteristics. Mags aren't very expensive compared to an STI, about $40. They are rapidly getting more and more popular, but for whatever reason people get stuck thinking the 2011 is the only platform worth a damn. It's certainly good, but at that price range you'll have way better luck with a CZ.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I tried to talk him into a Glock, he said no, had one, didn't care for no safety lever. M&P was a no too. CZ/Tanfo aren't as cheap or easy to work on, get parts for, modify. He wants a 1911 style, preferably 2011.

The possibility of buying a new gun that doesn't run isn't a problem, I'm a gunsmith so no wait times to fix a gun with the hiccups. I'd just build him a 2011 but the parts are probably more than a thousand dollars. Which is simply dumb considering standard 1911 parts cost.

1911 .45acp slide with all internals and GI sights is $120. You want that in 9mm/38s? DOUBLE the price, for just the bare slide!

1911 single stack frame and mainspring housing is $126. You want that in 2011 style? Almost TRIPLE the price, and half of it is plastic!

There's no reason to have to pay custom shop prices for a popular platform, someone needs to step up and fill that market gap. Either with a full gun or at least grip/frame/slide.

I guess I'll loan him a gun for single stack or production while he saves up. He's a disabled vet with a wife and son, funds aren't too easy to come by for him. Poor guy fell in love with my open gun but he can't even afford a training wheels version for limited because no one makes it. :angry2:

Edited by Absocold

I also think the CZ tac sport is a good idea. It has a very good trigger out of the box and is pretty reasonably priced compared to a 2011. Parts ARE available through czcustom, CGW, etc. Very fun to shoot and it is available in 9mm and .40.

Aside from all of this, the gun is going to be just one factor in the cost equation. All the other stuff like mags, holster, belt, pouches will cost probably as much as it sounds like he would spend on the gun for a 2011. Then on top of that is ammo cost. A 1911 and doing single stack is probably far more reasonable since there are a good number of <$1000 1911s in various calibers available.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

Tac Sport is only $100 cheaper than the SPS Pantera 2011. Would you move to an entirely different platform than what you wanted just to save a hundo?

As to equipment costs, that's figured in and why the gun budget is currently where it's at.

Currently on the lookout for used parts, especially a full upper. Or maybe I'll find a CNC rig under a bush lol.

Husband/wife team Clevenger shoots the pantera in 9mm...

You can find them on Facebook/insta. They shoot 3gun mostly.

They shot it all last year and did a review on the shooters mindset with the US distributors of MetroArms...

Was a good video, made me want to get one as I don't own a 2011 yet. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tac Sport is only $100 cheaper than the SPS Pantera 2011. Would you move to an entirely different platform than what you wanted just to save a hundo?

As to equipment costs, that's figured in and why the gun budget is currently where it's at.

Currently on the lookout for used parts, especially a full upper. Or maybe I'll find a CNC rig under a bush lol.

What? The tac sport is under $1000 the price of the sps as listed in here is nearly $1400

Plus you might save money on mags with the tac sport

Even if you build a 2011 the frame and slide alone are $800 according to brownells

The closest things I can think of are a para p16 pro comp which has some good parts while they are still available new ($900) and used Caspian double stack builds that show up on gunbroker for fairly cheap on occasion. Also there are the RIA and similar options that were mentioned.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman