Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major brass. Keep it or chuck it?

Targetpractice

Out of 40,000 9mm Major rounds, I've had three (3) split on me -

two were WW, and I suspect the third was also WW.

I had just had my gun worked on by a gunsmith, and had three

of these splits in succession - about 3-4 years ago - none since.

The gun, and I, were unharmed - lots of smoke/grit but no

injuries. :cheers:

Over many tens of thousands of rounds I've had a case rupture a little bit right at the area where the chamber is less supported 3 times. It spit a little material back at me but wasn't that big a deal. IIRC 2 of the 3 were WCC head stamps and I have since increased my OAL a bit. I suspect a number of cases may have a split on firing but it's hard to know for sure if those cases were mine or not.

Out of 40,000 9mm Major rounds, I've had three (3) split on me -

two were WW, and I suspect the third was also WW.

I had just had my gun worked on by a gunsmith, and had three

of these splits in succession - about 3-4 years ago - none since.

The gun, and I, were unharmed - lots of smoke/grit but no

injuries. :cheers:

when you say ww, is that winchester white box by chance? In the past week I found 3 split cases in my brass box. All 3 were stamped win

I buy fully processed and ready to load NATO brass (no need to sort for headstamp or stepped brass) for three cents each and just leave them lay. It's the only reason to shoot 9mm. If you're going to pick up your brass you may as well go 38super unless you're shooting a metric assload of ammo.

I load countless times until they split.

Considering most ,all 9mm major guns have a fully supported chamber,what possibly could go wrong , LOL, no seriously

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I buy fully processed and ready to load NATO brass (no need to sort for headstamp or stepped brass) for three cents each and just leave them lay. It's the only reason to shoot 9mm. If you're going to pick up your brass you may as well go 38super unless you're shooting a metric assload of ammo.

Because I can get it for free off the ground? I come home from pretty much every single local match with more brass than I left with, because so many people either just let it lay or don't reload. But then again I don't mind picking up brass, unless it's really nasty weather.

Also shooting lost brass matches makes a big difference if you are shooting starline supercomp brass vs 9mm off the ground.

Edited by Gooldylocks

I have tracked a specific batch of 9 major brass (300 pieces) and have loaded it 7 times so far and It has shown no apparent signs of problems. Not sure how many more times I will load it but it has lasted this long. Load has all been 124 MG and 125 Zero over 7.2 Auto Comp 1.165 COL Brass has been mix of Win, RP, Speer, and Blazer just for comparison looking for problems.

Gun is a STI 9 major Nowlin barrel.

I've become a relatively high volume shooter and like having a couple of YEARS of fully processed brass (cleaned, decapped, resized, swaged and U-die re-sized), all that I picked up for free, just ready and waiting to be loaded.

I may have sent the case I wanted to share off with a brass artist.

he teaches and makes sculptures.

I digress...

the case was a WIN headstamp and had a rupture between

the bottom of the extraction groove and the 'end' of the groove cut

about a quarter inch wide...

I doubt I'd have noticed it if I had not polished the case.

the case would have failed in the next firing.

It is a place to inspect.

miranda

If it passes inspection and case gauges I will shoot it. Inspection means no splits, cracks, or stepped cases (Ammoload, IMT, FM). Case gauge means no bulges or splits. I also stay vigilant for loose primer pockets.

Normally, split mouth cases that get through the loading process won't case gauge. However, small splits can get all the way through and I've fired these rounds without incident. The guy that did the test on 9mm brass longevity found that most all failures ended up being case mount splits and cracks (happens during the loading process or firing) and when this happened during firing it was unnoticeable that it had occurred. I think in these instances the brass simply gives up, but everything is still contained normally by the chamber. This is how life ends for normal 9mm brass.

The worst failures seem to be complete case separations and blown out bases which is why we use fully supported chambers and cull stepped cases and stuff that has been badly bulged.

Edited by theWacoKid

What's the reasoning for not keeping the stepped brass for major? Is it because it takes up room for the powder or because it's weaker in some way?

I would say both. I learned through others with this one after seeing so many documented instances of the stepped brass failures. Whatever the reason, it is a trend and includes minor and major loads. It's just poor brass for reloaders.

Edited by theWacoKid

_20150529_174811_zpsgliimbtz.jpg_20150529_174841_zpskauobnl6.jpg

Happened my first week with a 2011, but hasn't happened again. I don't bother sorting brass, once I put them in a box I just pick out the stepped brass headstamps and shoot them in practice.

were those major loads? Primer looks pretty flat. I've used a lot of stepped brass for minor. My minor loads are pretty light though.