Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags for CK Arms Open

Qoo

Hello Shooters,

I am new to the open gun world, just ordered a CK Arms Thunder Blackout in 9mm and i would like to ask what are the best mags for the gun.

A friend of mine has a CK Arms Hardcore in 9mm and he is using the MBX mags with TTI Sping and Follower.

Should I just buy the MBX tube, TTI Spring, TTI Follower, MBX Base pad to make it happen? Or what else you suggest?

Your feedback and suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much!

I'm in the same boat as you Qoo only I have purchased a Akai with STI frame & SVI barrel not sure about the slide and it came with only 2 mags (170&140) so I need to add 1 or 2 mags least to say. I wonder which way to go? Thanks

Just buy mbx complete mags have had great luck with them easy 29 rounds reloadable

Thanks much for your suggestion, my friend purchased the MBX complete mags for his CK Arms and at the end he changed to the TTI Spring and Follower. That's why i am kind of wanting to just build the mags.

I use sti tubes, Dawson pads and grams springs/followers. They all run 100% in 2 open guns. I have seen some mbx run and some not. Reliability is very important.

Thanks for your suggestion, actually STI was the first came to my mind and then SVI, I think i will need to look at the STI and SVI more now.

I have both MBX and Brazos Super Tuned magazines. Both have worked ok, but I tend to like the Brazos Super Tuned a little better. I can take the Base Pad off the Brazos much easier to clean my mags during a match. To clean my MBX I need an allen wrench to take the Base Pad off. Takes a little more time.

Second time I've seen in writing that somebody needed tools to take base pads off their MBX mags. Not true. Push the pin down and slide off. At least that is the way mine work and is supported on their website as well.

I have had "0" problems with mine and stock springs and followers. 9mm do not require spacers is a bonus. I know others have had problems with earlier springs and followers, but I simply have not experienced this myself.

I recommend them.

Molson

I'm in the same boat as you Qoo only I have purchased a Akai with STI frame & SVI barrel not sure about the slide and it came with only 2 mags (170&140) so I need to add 1 or 2 mags least to say. I wonder which way to go? Thanks

I have an Akai also, run the Brazos Super Tuned or SV mags. You can not go wrong with the Brazos mags. I have 6 of them and they haven't failed me yet. I bought a MBX mag and I have had nothing but trouble with it. First it wouldn't drop free and now it won't feed properly. I think it is the spring and the follower but I'll play with it later.

I have both MBX and Brazos Super Tuned magazines. Both have worked ok, but I tend to like the Brazos Super Tuned a little better. I can take the Base Pad off the Brazos much easier to clean my mags during a match. To clean my MBX I need an allen wrench to take the Base Pad off. Takes a little more time.

Second time I've seen in writing that somebody needed tools to take base pads off their MBX mags. Not true. Push the pin down and slide off. At least that is the way mine work and is supported on their website as well.

I have had "0" problems with mine and stock springs and followers. 9mm do not require spacers is a bonus. I know others have had problems with earlier springs and followers, but I simply have not experienced this myself.

I recommend them.

Molson

I have an Akai also, run the Brazos Super Tuned or SV mags. You can not go wrong with the Brazos mags. I have 6 of them and they haven't failed me yet. I bought a MBX mag and I have had nothing but trouble with it. First it wouldn't drop free and now it won't feed properly. I think it is the spring and the follower but I'll play with it later.

Thank you all very much! I spoke with Bobby from CK Arms and he suggest to go for MBX mags, he said people running the MBX on the CK Arms open guns are fine. Also i got shooter discounts from a vendor so i ordered 3 of the 170mm MBX complete mags today, should deliver next week and i will play with it to see, from the vendor's page indicating these mags are the second generation with upgraded spring and follower.

I will report back once i got the gun and the mags next week.

Thanks all~

Yes please let us know how they work out for you. Also how you like the gun. I'm thinking of getting one.

Definitely!! Just ordered the gun yesterday and should be in next Wednesday, i will let you know once i got it.

Thanks

I have a second Gen MBX 170mm and it has been flawless from day 1. No changes what so ever. Also, that Allen head screw is to set the RETENTION of the locking pin. I have mine set so that it takes some force to slide it down, but not impossible.

If you have problems with the MBX mags Adrian will make it right. Good dude who cares about his product working.

Can't go wrong with CK Arms. Bobby will take care of you. End of story.

I have a second Gen MBX 170mm and it has been flawless from day 1. No changes what so ever. Also, that Allen head screw is to set the RETENTION of the locking pin. I have mine set so that it takes some force to slide it down, but not impossible.

If you have problems with the MBX mags Adrian will make it right. Good dude who cares about his product working.

Can't go wrong with CK Arms. Bobby will take care of you. End of story.

That's what i heard from the online source about the gen 2 should work flawless. Bobby is very professional and efficient.

Thanks

I've got 5 MBX mags and they all work great. Two have TTI springs and followers which work just as well as the original guts. You will have to tune the TTI followers if you don't want your gun to lock back on empty.

I use MBX mags but their springs/followers kept rolling on me. I swapped in a TTI spring/follower in one 140 and grams for the other 2 140 and 2 170. All have been running great, get 29rds in the big stick which is what I was getting with the MBX guts.

Interestingly I tried some new TTI guts in them and was getting rolling issues too. The 1 140 with TTI still running strong though. Weird.

If I had to do it again I'd get the MBX tubes and pads and buy grams.

I've got 5 MBX mags and they all work great. Two have TTI springs and followers which work just as well as the original guts. You will have to tune the TTI followers if you don't want your gun to lock back on empty.

I use MBX mags but their springs/followers kept rolling on me. I swapped in a TTI spring/follower in one 140 and grams for the other 2 140 and 2 170. All have been running great, get 29rds in the big stick which is what I was getting with the MBX guts.

Interestingly I tried some new TTI guts in them and was getting rolling issues too. The 1 140 with TTI still running strong though. Weird.

If I had to do it again I'd get the MBX tubes and pads and buy grams.

Thanks both information sharing, i will give it a try on the original set up first, because these mags are generation 2 which the spring and follower suppose upgraded. If not will get some TTI spring and follower to replace them.

Oh I forgot to mention, if your CK gun has a KKM barrel, you will probably have to trim the top front of the mag where it approximates the barrel feedramp by 2-3mm. The earlier MBX mags were shorter here but the new ones, as of when I bought them a year ago, will contact the feedramp and cause malfunctions. Pretty easy to do with diamond files or a dremel. Kinda a pain in the ass but I still like the MBX mag bodies more than STI as you don't have to fiddle with the mag lips. Filing is easier than fiddling to me. If you get them and run into this issue just shoot me a PM and I'll send you photos.

Oh I forgot to mention, if your CK gun has a KKM barrel, you will probably have to trim the top front of the mag where it approximates the barrel feedramp by 2-3mm. The earlier MBX mags were shorter here but the new ones, as of when I bought them a year ago, will contact the feedramp and cause malfunctions. Pretty easy to do with diamond files or a dremel. Kinda a pain in the ass but I still like the MBX mag bodies more than STI as you don't have to fiddle with the mag lips. Filing is easier than fiddling to me. If you get them and run into this issue just shoot me a PM and I'll send you photos.

Thank you so very much! I will let you know either way.

I started running MBX mags in my KKM barreled open gun and found the front upper edge of my mag getting peened out. So I would agree that this Intel is accurate.

I never experienced reliability issues and addressed the issue by simply filing off the peened out area on the mag. No further issues.

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

I started running MBX mags in my KKM barreled open gun and found the front upper edge of my mag getting peened out. So I would agree that this Intel is accurate.

I never experienced reliability issues and addressed the issue by simply filing off the peened out area on the mag. No further issues.

Thanks for the heads up, just picked up the gun and the mags will be here tomorrow. I will double check to see if i need to do any work to it or not.

I should clarify a bit on this too. I was getting some FTEs in the form of nose dives which I attributed to this contact. At the time I filed the mags I also decreased my OAL from 1.232 to 1.228. I can't entirely claim the FTEs were secondary to mags contacting.