Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Tried 7625

Azone41

I ordered some 7625 to try for my new open gun ( that isnt here yet). Tried it over the chrono yesterday and I really liked it. I have been using N350 for the last couple of years and thought it was the best all around powder for a super I had used. I have now changed my mind I started with 6.8 w/124 gn bullet and it made major with an average of 1342 fps. Thats a little to close for a big match. Then tried 7.1 (same bullet) came up with 1360 avg and lastly 7.3 (same bullet) and got 1376 avg. Thats all well and good but what I didn't beleve was how little dot movement there was with all three loads. I ran a few of the load I currently use and there is quite a difference in dot movement. The cost savings alone is worth the change but the powder shoots so much softer. Didn't try to sight in the load as of yet so I can't say if the accuracy is going to be there. By the way the 7.3 gn load is very close to my n350 load in speed. my current load n350 runs at about 1390 avg. Does anyone use a load much higher then 7.3 I was woundering because my new open is a shorty thats why I wanted a faster powder.

I just started loading for my five inch gun and really like the 7.3 grain load of 7625 over a 124 CMJ MG bullet. I shot my first match with it and really was surprised at how little muzzle rise there was. I also thought the load sounded softer that the 3N37 I had been using.

Now I just have to learn to trust my judgement on the dot. I am so used to open sights, I am having minor difficulty trusting when to pull the trigger!

IDidn't try to sight in the load as of yet so I can't say if the accuracy is going to be there.

You can count on the fingers of one hand the guys who even mention testing accuracy while searching for 'soft' or 'flat' in their new loads. Thank you.

7625 is very quiet & has little rocket effect to torque you around. If you're compressing powder, make sure you check OAL on a big sample of your ammo.

Phil, IMR's site list loads for .40 S&W with 7625

7.8gr behind a 135gr @ 1250 fps

7.2gr behind a 150gr @ 1165 fps

5.7gr behind a 180gr @ 990 fps

5.2gr behind a 200gr @ 885 fps

I have not tried any of these, but would be interested in results if anyone does.

I ordered some 7625 to try for my new open gun ( that isnt here yet). Tried it over the chrono yesterday and I really liked it. I have been using N350 for the last couple of years and thought it was the best all around powder for a super I had

The problem with 7625 has been inconsistancy between lots.

Each new lot purchased required re-development of the load, and chronographing to confirm.

They might have gotten a handle on this by now, but a few years ago it was a real concern.

• 1 month later...

I had been using W571 AND W540. I already run out of both of these powders and as you know they do not make it any more. I bought one pound of 7625 and that is what I am going to try in my 38 super.

Guest Larry Cazes
I had been using W571 AND W540. I already run out of both of these powders and as you know they do not make it any more.

I thought they were just renamed. Can anyone confirm?

Winchester 540 is indeed being sold now by hodgdon as HS6. I load this for my wifes super with 115gr JHPs. Good performance but very dirty.

Winchester 540 is indeed being sold now by hodgdon as HS6. I load this for my wifes super with 115gr JHPs. Good performance but very dirty.
Larry - If you think it's dirty in .38 Super, you oughta try it in .38 Special. :o

I just loaded about 500 rds to break-in my new open gun with. I loaded 121 gr and 115 gr bullets. So far seems to be a very good choice. I had some issues with function, so I went to some very hot loads with AA#7. I will be loading with #7, until everything is broken in. I already ordered more 7625 to make my long term load with.

Mike

• 1 month later...