Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" 2011s new norm?

Travis224

I just got a FGW 6" and really like how it handles and shoots, easy to make Major with less powder..do you guys think they will ever be "it" gun? Heck, I'm even entertaining the thought of a 6" sight-tracker!

They were really popular 4-5 years ago and most of the top shooters have stuck with the 5" platform so it seems that people give them and try and eventually go back to a 5". I do like the balance of a 6" in the hand, but shoot the 5" better in the clock. Seems a 5" sigh tracker is the best do everything gun.

I don't think it will change at the top of the sport. Most of those guys are running 5" edge style pistols. It's mainly because that's what they've always shot. It's that whole Indian, arrow thing. I shoot a 6" because I like it and I think they are cool. I do t think it gives me a real measurable advantage but if it makes you more confident then that works too. Shoot what you want, just put in the time.

a 6" barrel gets your bullet almost 20% closed to the target compared to a 5", so there's less room for you to miss. it's science.

I had one, bushing barrel lightened like a 5". the sight radius was nice and I'd get it again if they were the same price as a 5" STI. looking limited minor for 3g. I have good eyes so the extra sight distance didn't help me that much.

For comparison, I have a FGW 6" and a FGW 5". Both have the same slide mods, The 6" has the barrel flutes. 95% of the time I shoot the 5" at matches because I feel that I can point it faster. But, if I was going more for accuracy, I would shoot the 6". However I don't set nor follow trends.

a 6" barrel gets your bullet almost 20% closed to the target compared to a 5", so there's less room for you to miss. it's science.

20% further from your hand, not closer to your target. Edited by jon49erfan

20% further from your hand, not closer to your target.

Unless he was shooting at a target from 5 inches away :roflol:

20% further from your hand, not closer to your target.

Unless he was shooting at a target from 5 inches away :roflol:

the science is irrefutable. 6" is 1" more than 5". in all maths, 6>5 (remember the alligator eats the bigger one). so 6" is more better than 5".

I've competed with 6" 2011s, 5" 1911s, and 4" 1911s and 2011s, and I don't think it makes much of a difference to me at least, if the bays are short and the action is fast. once you get out past 20 yards and have smaller or hidden targets (or the damn little steels in 3 gun) is when it makes a difference. I carry a 4" now because it's easier to carry, and accurate and fast enough inside 20 yards, which is where I see the need. If I shot mostly long range or was going to hunt with it or my RM was a jerk, I would get the 6". Otherwise 5", 5.4, whatever seems like a good compromise.

Currently building my dream do-everything gun and it's a 5", full dust cover, railed, lightened slide, 9mm 2011 with threaded barrel, FO sight in the front, blacked out rear.

I see that as perfect (again for me) for steel matches, 3 gun, USPSA Lim Minor, HD, maybe carry if needed. I prefer a heavy gun with a light slide, as it helps me keep it steady when I'm winded or hustling a 3 gun stage. the lighter ones point faster, but not worth a miss after a 40 yard sprint firing shotguns from the hip.

I'll agree with the above poster......

For me, the 6" (Sight Tracker in my case) is something that seems to help me on long shots, out beyond 20 yards and out to 100 yards, and on smaller steel. I have not put a timer on it, but I suspect that in a USPSA match, I would have slower transitions because of the extra weight out front than I would with a 5" gun. Enough to cost me a match? Well, I'm not good enough to be in that situation. I think it's going to depend really on what you are mostly shooting, and ultimately on what you like.

Just as an example, if you are .03 slower on your splits with a 6" (and I have no idea what I actually am, just tossing it out....) and you have 16 transitions, you are .48 seconds slower than you would be if you had run your 5". Assuming the hits are the same, can you, or will you pick up that time someplace else? 10 stage major match, and you lose 4.8 seconds. Is that enough of a difference?

The weight thing is probably the lamest argument I keep hearing. What do the top guys running open guns have for weight? I shoot a 6" gun that weighs 48oz empty. I can swing it and run it as fast or faster than the previous 6" gun I had that was 35oz. A heavy gun, In my opinion. Stops better and settles nicer for tough shots.

• 6 months later...