Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Style S&W Trigger?

Alaskan454

I decided to smooth out my JM grooved trigger last year and like it enough I just ordered another smooth one that's .400 wide to play with. What type of trigger do you guys prefer? I've seen .400 and .500 wide target triggers down to the .265 in both smooth and serrated.

Years ago I had my trigger done with a very narrow width and very smooth. I got use to it and like it a lot. Something I think I will go back to on my 929. I think it helped eliminate movement of my finder and stopped left/right misses.

I've tried all those variations in competition and noticed very little difference.

I like the feel of the wide grooved trigger I put BACK on my M29, the gun I made Master with in Revolver. But I also like the feel of the thin smooth trigger on my 627.

Except the grooved triggers did seem to wear on my finger a bit more after a lot of dry firing or an extended practice session (even though I have very work hardened hands) and that's the reason I am using smooth triggers now.

Narrow and smooth is my favorite right now. Leave just a little serration in the center.

I have a .300 wide smooth trigger that came in my 586. It's a close second for me.

The serrated trigger as it comes from factory is just too sharp for me in double action shooting.

• 3 months later...

One of best ones I ever had was an old model 25 with the wide serrated target trigger. When R. Lee did the action, I had him narrow the trigger to the same width as the trigger guard a bevel the edge if the trigger smooth and left majority of the serrations in the middle of the trigger.

Years ago I had my trigger done with a very narrow width and very smooth. I got use to it and like it a lot. Something I think I will go back to on my 929. I think it helped eliminate movement of my finder and stopped left/right misses.

Bingo!