Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bul M-5 or SA Range Officer

Gimpy_ak

So heres the question I propose to you all, mainly because I can't make the decision on my own, SA RO in 9mm or Bul M-5 in 9mm.

I have a SA Trophy Match but I've been thinking about making the switch to 9mm. The Bul has more features like checkered front strap, front cocking serrations, fiber front, and ambidextrous safety. The Range Officer doesn't have the checkering, serrations, or the ambit-safety but has adjustable sights and is built on the same Match frame and slide fit my TM is. Both are similar in price, and I just can't decide.

What say you?

Bul M-5

Two-Tone-Gov.jpg

SA Range Officer

PI9129LP_21.jpg

Springfield Range Officer was the path I was going to do when I planned on single stack. Springfield just came out with their Stainless Range Officer which comes with the fiber optic front sight. I've handled one and it shot just as well as the standard Range Officer model.

Alternatively, Dawson offers their Competition Ready Range Officer for right around your budget and it comes ready to shoot single stack division as well (this was my plan).

Springfield. It's a known base for building a good 9mm 1911, and I'm carrying a ROC because I trust it and it works.

The safety doesn't matter if you're a righty. And if you really need an ambi, add one.

the front strap doesn't matter to me... a bit of grip tape is better and significantly cheaper

Serrations don't matter. a 9mm 1911 is easy enough to rack, you don't need them. if you want more grip, add a piece of that grip tape you're already playing with for the front strap.

SA is a known product that runs great, supports shooting sports, and will work for you to build off later.

SA RO, RO SS or RO Operator all the way. It's a shame they don't offer their Loaded Model in 9mm. Any of them are a much better deal and gun than the Trojan, IMO. The newer 9mm Trojans I've seen are junk. Both the new ones at my club broke parts in the first 500 rounds and had to be sent back.

Edited by zzt

they do offer the loaded in 9mm (in stainless though).

Mine is setup for ipsc classic.

EGW magwell

wilson mag release

wilson stainless front strap checkering panel (most people can't tell it's not just a checkered front strap)

pinned grip safety

changed main and recoil springs and firing pin

runs very nicely. :)

The looks of the rear sight on the Bul looks very similar to the old Kimber sight. If it is the same dovetail, a few extra cuts and a Bomar type sight can be installed with very little work by a good smith. Check the dimensions, it sure looks very close. The reason I mention this is that I had built a couple of the old model Kimbers in the day, the dovetail was right and it only needed a couple of cuts and you had a Bomar cut. Is the Bul lower stainless or plated.

The one Beer Baron is talking about is possibly an older version of the Springfield Loaded sold here in Australia, I know back a few years ( 05-06) they were selling 9mm stainless loaded with the LPA adjustable rear sights fitted

This is the version is still available here in Australia.

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY
PI9134LP
1911 LOADED STAINLESS
9MM,

post-55266-0-55492000-1456447236_thumb.j

Edited by terrydoc

,Just be aware the Techwell may require some fitting. I had to 'fit' mine to my Springfield Loaded but they fit straight on to my Nighthawk and also the STI Spartan I had previously. There are sometimes slight dimension differences between manufacturers.

Edited by terrydoc

I have owned 2 Bul M-5s, one in 9x23mm and one in 9mm (Commander). The 9mm was just OK (not as good as my DW single stack 9mm) while the full sized 9x23 was out of the Bul Custom Shop (and not an import) built as an IPSC Limited 10 gun and has the best trigger of any single or double stack I have ever owned (including my custom STI open gun). I am currently having it converted to .40 S&W so I can again use it in Limited Major (so I can swap back to 9x23 if needed). They are great guns. However they can only use mags designed for the Para P18 because of the shape of the mag tunnel in the grip (Para or Mecgar). STI mags will hang up in the grip(not sure about SVI mags). And with limited availability its hard to get any mags over 140mm if you need them. In mine I generally use Mecgar mags w/Arredondo +3 basepads to get 20 rd. mags as that gets them to the size limit. Also have to raise the mag release notch in the mag a couple of millimeters. Most M-5s come from the factory with a polymer mag release which is too easy to damage I think. RHT in South Africa sells a stainless steel replacement that works very well and has the shelf cut to the same height as the OEM one.

Bottom line from me is if you can find a Bul M-5 Competition model like the IPSC then go for it. If not its easier to build it from something built here.

Edited by photoracer

There seem to be an issue on their website, if you look all they have is the .45 loaded no 9mm, but clicking on your link brings up the 9mm. and if you type in loaded target 9mm or Loaded 9mm it comes up, got me buggered,

Edited by terrydoc

I didn't think they were either Palmbeach1, the importer here get's them but no idea where from or how old they are. I know then we got screwed by our govt in 04 we were lucky to fet much and it was a slow trickle indeed.

Possible it is a special makeup for the distributor. Sorta like Lipsey's here in the States having specials done for them.