Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

conflicting issues with primers. 550b

i dont load as much as most members here but i run into a problem. when I use progressive loading, ex 38 special.

as long as primers are in the tube. I cannot rotate to change die positions. tried to adjust according to directions, etc.

then the conflicting problem is when I prime the cases, the primers don't fully engage all the way in the case.

so for all practical purposes I don't have a progressive press. any suggestions would be welcome

When you say in the tube do you mean in the priming cup? The tube really has nothing to do with the shell plate rotation.

If I understand you correctly, if there is a primer in the cup, the shell plate doesn't rotate but if there is no primer in the cup the shell plate rotates? And then it also doesn't sit the primers fully?

It sounds to me like something is messed up with the primer cup assembly, Call Dillon, they'll probably send you a new one or may have additional ideas for you to try.

On the 550,when a primer is in the cup waiting to be put into a case, the ram must be raised slightly to advance the shellplate. When the primer is inserted in the case the shellplate will turn smoothly. Make sure that your shellplate is tight. If it is too loose, the case is not held down and the primer won't fully insert into the pocket.

On the 550,when a primer is in the cup waiting to be put into a case, the ram must be raised slightly to advance the shellplate. When the primer is inserted in the case the shellplate will turn smoothly. Make sure that your shellplate is tight. If it is too loose, the case is not held down and the primer won't fully insert into the pocket.

That's what I have seen on both of my 550s. If I back off the bolt on the shellplate about a quarter turn it raises the shellplate up enough so that I can rotate the plate without hitting the primer in the cup but, as mentioned, the primers don't seat as well.

Check your fail safe rod/spring this holds the shell plate up just enough to rotate shell plate. It also springs your handle back to rotate position after seating the primer.

If you are attempting to index the 550 shellplate with a primer in the cup, usually the primer anvil sticks up high enough to catch the bottom of the shell plate. If you are loading progressively, then there is never a primer in the cup when the shellplate is rotated.

• 1 month later...

If you are attempting to index the 550 shellplate with a primer in the cup, usually the primer anvil sticks up high enough to catch the bottom of the shell plate. If you are loading progressively, then there is never a primer in the cup when the shellplate is rotated.

That's one problem I've never had with my RL550B. Doesn't matter if its setup for LP or SP...maybe it's an issue with LR (since they're taller)? I've not done any LR caliber loading yet.

If I understand you correctly, your shell pate isn't rotating because primers are being seated high and are catching against the insertion hole when you try to turn the indexing star and stopping the star from turning.

I recently had this exact same problem. There are a number of things that can cause this, but in my case it turned out the mounting bolts had worked themselves loose. When I pushed up on the handle to seat a primer, the machine itself would move up the teensiest bit because it wasn't tightly clamped to the table anymore.

You can't detect this by wiggling the mount. My mount still felt rock-solid. When I put the wrenches to the bolts, though, I could tell immediately the bolts had come loose.

I tightened the bolts back down properly---bang, end of primer-seating problem.

Checking the mounting bolts is now part of my pre-loading procedure.

Edited by ChemistShooter