Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Target preference

galt11

I am looking at purchasing a few steel IPSC targets to use for practice and training. There are some excellent companies out there like GT targets, MGM targets, action targets, etc. I would like to ask for some user experience and why you choose the brand you did. I would be specifically looking at a few of the IPSC targets with the "D" zone removed, thata seems to be the standard most people use for practice. Thanks

Adam

Karl at GT is awesome to deal with and a huge supporter of the sport. Give him a call and see what he has. He is located in Schwenksville PA, which is only about 2 hours from Matamoras, so you might save bunch of money picking up compared to shipping from another company.

Just picked up three 8 inch circles from Karl at GT to add to my collection. Super friendly, extremely knowledgeable, quality products that are affordable. He also stands behind his work, if there is a problem, be confident it will be resolved. Highly recommend.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Edited by inspector1999

I have some MOA target 95% C zones. They can be hung by chains or with his mount. The C zone is $105 the mount $25. The 95% is so they can be shipped Priority Mail. MOA ships many of their targets free if the order is over a $150 and fits in a Priority Mail box.

I made my own stands but MOA makes a stand that is easy to fit in a trunk.

I made my own:

06ECB0F8-EADF-4FD2-B66E-7533018F7E36-526

No need to have a pick up truck in order to carry the H style bases and 5 foot long 2 by 4's. The plate is AR500 and is a USPSA metric with the D zone cut off. When I was selling a bunch of these, that came in handy because width-wise it fit exactly inside a USPS flat rate box meant for board games.

Edited by Chills1994

MOA is great and Mitch (owner) is SUPER helpful. My company is getting ready to submit a VERY large steel order through him. He has created several custom targets and modifications to stands ect for no charge. His prices are very reasonable and provides absolute top notch service. If you get a huge order though, he ships freight which will cost a bit more than some of the other companies, but even with shipping, he was considerably cheaper than MGM and some of the other bigger companies like CMP. That said, we have CMP and MGM targets and the quality for both is top notch, both also have excellent customer service but they are a bit more pricy.

I have some MOA target 95% C zones. They can be hung by chains or with his mount. The C zone is $105 the mount $25. The 95% is so they can be shipped Priority Mail. MOA ships many of their targets free if the order is over a $150 and fits in a Priority Mail box.

I made my own stands but MOA makes a stand that is easy to fit in a trunk.

agreed with donald... Ordered two of these, just the steel with single hole, and I love them.

I use them with another 2x4 mounting system for single hole steel plates and can't ask for anything better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I found interesting was that the GT targets seem to be a firm static mount between the cap and the target, while most of the others allow some movement of the target when its hit. The pictures lead me to think it is static. Is that the case or does it move?

I picked up 4 of the MGM mini auto-poppers last year, and they're fantastic. I use them for everything from close-in shotgun work to intermediate-range unsupported rifle. Since they're not static, the .223 doesn't make any bigger of a mark than my .40 does. MGM really stands behind their products and is a huge supporter of the 3-gun hobby, so I have no problem spending a little bit more money on their website.

+1 shakman and the MGM auto poppers. I have 3 standard and 3 colt that I use from 25 yards to 50 yards with pistol. They work great. If you search on ‘MGM Targets Auto Popper Standard Shape With Sniper Legs’ you can find them for a reasonable price.

The MGM auto poppers we have for our work range have been ABUSED. the worst thing to happen to them was a guy zipped a .223 through the bolt. We had to saw the grade 8 bolt off to get it out since it was deformed so bad. That was a PITA.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One piece of advice, steel targets are heavy and expensive to ship...Unless you buy them via Amazon Prime, then you get free 2nd day air shipping. BIG savings when making a purchase like this.

Many places use USPS Priority Mail, MOA Targets ships many targets free for orders over $150. MOA makes a 95% 'C' zone target that fits in a large Priority game box. I have bought 3 of the MOA 'C' zones and mounts, all fit in one box. I feel sorry for the girl that delivers my mail, the worst was a Blue Bullet order of 12,000 bullets.