Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Stock 2 vs. New Stock 2

WJM

I figured it would be interesting to compile all of the differences we have noticed in our New vs Old Tanfoglio Stock 2's Limited Pro's and Stock 3's.

For those who don't know, the "Old" Stock 2 have a longer barrel, more checkering, and a different beavertail seen here.

IMG_9757_zpsobxhyexq.jpg

Left is new, right is old.

IMG_9758_zpsxjzruhq3.jpg

IMG_9759_zpslqjxvomg.jpg

Bottom is new, top is old.

IMG_9761_zpszsswxppv.jpg

New is right, old is left.

Now, after a quick running over of the checkering fixed that issue no problem.

Here are the things that I have found between the two guns.

The new one chrono's higher than the old one. I can't explain why this would make sense (shorter barrel SHOULD chrono less) however the new Tanfo chrono's around 5 fps faster on average.

The checkering on the new one is lessened, however this can be fixed.

Eric Grauffel xtreme grips don't fit both of them the same. The distance between the magwell is slightly different and doesn't fit the gun as well with those grips.

The barrel is shorter.

The gun itself is wider, I had to loosen my holster before it actually was able to go in smoothly.

It is heavier. I can't give an exact amount as of right now, but it definitely is slightly heavier.

The barrel throat is shorter on the new model compared to the old. I have to load my lead ammo at 1.050" in the new one, however in the same old one I could load to 1.125" all day long.

Anyone else?

Nice pictures. I couldn't help but to notice that your new Stock 2 has the same abrasion mark under the beavertail as my Limited, straight out of the box. It kinda bugged me to see that on a brand new gun. Like how does such a mark even happen in that area?

9karcw.jpg

So I wonder what the date cut-off is for the changes.

My newest Stock II was purchased last year (around September) from a dealer who'd just received it from EA. It has the older dimensions.

My Xtreme (which has the "new" dimensions" was purchased this month.

Just chrono'd my two Tanfo's back to back. Old one chrono'd at 129pf, new one chrono'd at 133. Which means I now have to build two different rounds all the time. When I bump up the powder to get the old one to 133, that knocks the new Tanfo up to around 138-140 which is very noticeable compared to the previous ammo.

Kind of a pain in the ass to be honest.

Wyatt

• 2 weeks later...

Does your grip position feel different (i.e. better or worse?) between the new and old? Is your grip still as high and secure on both? The beavertails look different so I'm wondering if the change in dimensions also caused a noticeable difference in the "feel" or position of your grip.

Just in case anyone was still reading this.

New Stock 2 with mag inserted, weighed 45.4 ounces at Area 2.

Old Stock 2 with mag inserted, 43.8 ounces at Area 2.

Now considering the max is 46, kinda interesting that they made it that close to the edge. Thanks EAA.

Just in case anyone was still reading this.

New Stock 2 with mag inserted, weighed 45.4 ounces at Area 2.

Old Stock 2 with mag inserted, 43.8 ounces at Area 2.

Now considering the max is 46, kinda interesting that they made it that close to the edge. Thanks EAA.

EAA just imports what Tanfo makes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told by a friend whom I consider reliable, that the new model Stock 2 has less metal thickness in the grip/magwell area and more in the dust-cover area. This accounts for the holster fit and the grip panel fit issues. Holding both side by side, you can feel the slightly nose heavy nature of the new model. As far as the velocity difference, I don't know.

Edited by Scrmblr

• 1 month later...

Just found a new difference. The new S2 was activating the mag release rubbing on the holster while dry firing. The old S2 never did that in six months of dry firing.

I trimmed my holster because of that issue. for the longest time I thought I was somehow hitting the button during my draw.

Yeah, mine got a quick introduction to "Dr Dremel". I thought I was not seating the mags because it was just a couple times a session.

The holster also needed more spacer width between the shell to account for the wider new s2.

Just chrono'd my two Tanfo's back to back. Old one chrono'd at 129pf, new one chrono'd at 133. Which means I now have to build two different rounds all the time. When I bump up the powder to get the old one to 133, that knocks the new Tanfo up to around 138-140 which is very noticeable compared to the previous ammo.

Kind of a pain in the ass to be honest.

Wyatt

Possible the new barrel is tighter and after a few shots it will wear and slowdown?

My friend and I, we shot plate rack with older and newer Stock II Xtreme side by side using 150gn reloads. The ergonomics of the grip is different. We both prefer newer version.

I've been told by a Tanfoglio dealer, that another version will be out of the factory by the end of this year (in Europe).