Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Stock 2 vs. New Stock 2

WJM

New Stock 2 has slimmer grip neck (e.g. slightly deeper cut under trigger guard and on the back of the grip). It also has much more aggressive checkering than the old Stock 2, presumably because Tanfo has switched to new machinery, which is probably also the cause of more sharp edges around the slide and frame.

I have one of each, and I really like the feeling of grip on the new Stock 2. It cuts into my skin and tears open the callus formed by the old Stock 2.

The bad thing is I cannot rely on my backup (old Stock 2) being identical to the main (new Stock 2). I feel I have to adjust the draw slightly for a consistent grip when switching between these two.

The barrel throat is shorter on the new model compared to the old. I have to load my lead ammo at 1.050" in the new one, however in the same old one I could load to 1.125" all day long.

When I was researching the Tanfo's especially the stock 2, I read that they didn't like factory 9mm rounds and that people had to reload them longer. If that is true, could the difference in your OAL be because tanfo fixed the problem? I honestly almost went with a .45 or a .38 super because of the longer OAL of factory loads. but I went 9mm because I'm just starting out in competition and I figured that would be the cheapest to get ammo for so I can practice enough to improve.

I am a noob with the Tanfoglio, mine is still in 'jail' here at the local shop awaiting my 10 day waiting period ending. So forgive me if I am completely 100% wrong.

The barrel throat is shorter on the new model compared to the old. I have to load my lead ammo at 1.050" in the new one, however in the same old one I could load to 1.125" all day long.

When I was researching the Tanfo's especially the stock 2, I read that they didn't like factory 9mm rounds and that people had to reload them longer. If that is true, could the difference in your OAL be because tanfo fixed the problem? I honestly almost went with a .45 or a .38 super because of the longer OAL of factory loads. but I went 9mm because I'm just starting out in competition and I figured that would be the cheapest to get ammo for so I can practice enough to improve.

I am a noob with the Tanfoglio, mine is still in 'jail' here at the local shop awaiting my 10 day waiting period ending. So forgive me if I am completely 100% wrong.

My 3 9mm guns all feed fine short 1.065. I wish the throat was deeper to allow longer, but they have never bobbled a short round feeding.

• 1 month later...

After handling the Old and New stock 2, I like the newer one better, grips better, it points nicely and better machining I think.

So for those of that shot it does the shorter barrel matters?

Sweet good to know. I wonder why I came across the people saying the older large frames wont feed 9mm and .40 well.

My understanding is there was a poor magazine design leading to nosedive feed failures. The "k" stamped mags are the solution, and they work great.

After handling the Old and New stock 2, I like the newer one better, grips better, it points nicely and better machining I think.

So for those of that shot it does the shorter barrel matters?

I have both "long" and "short" barreled S2s. The chrono can't distinguish any difference.

Should i sell my CZ and just stick to Tanfo?

I don't see why not. I have tiny hands and yet Tanfos fit my hands better than CZs - contrary to common belief, CZs triggers have much longer reach in DA position than Tanfos.

Plus insane checkering, Xtreme parts and BOLO disco, you can get your Tanfo DA to sub 5# and SA to sub 2# with little to no pre-travel. Besides, these unicorns are selling for <$900 a lot of places now. We will see more and more aftermarket parts becoming available that will make Tanfos popular in the states. The last major match I went to, 4 out of 5 Production GMs are shooing Stock 2s/Limited Pros.

I don't see why not. I have tiny hands and yet Tanfos fit my hands better than CZs - contrary to common belief, CZs triggers have much longer reach in DA position than Tanfos.

Plus insane checkering, Xtreme parts and BOLO disco, you can get your Tanfo DA to sub 5# and SA to sub 2# with little to no pre-travel. Besides, these unicorns are selling for <$900 a lot of places now. We will see more and more aftermarket parts becoming available that will make Tanfos popular in the states. The last major match I went to, 4 out of 5 Production GMs are shooing Stock 2s/Limited Pros.

I was thinking same thing - <$900 not in our hood more like $1500> I really like the feel and it points naturally for me.

I like both, but have tanfos. The cz I can't drop a mag without shifting grip but can with the tanfo.

Plus, with the newest shiny bits from patriot defense, the trigger is better than any cz I've fondled. Actually too good for my pitiful shooting skills.

Just picked up a new S2, marked 2016, so I'm guessing it's the new version. Everything looks great except the checkering. More attention to detail on the checking of the barbell I have in my garage than the front/back straps of the Tanfo. Other than that it feels very good in hand, natural, and VERY heavy.

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2016 at 11:05 AM, johnbu said:

I have both "long" and "short" barreled S2s. The chrono can't distinguish any difference.

miss post wrong thread oops

Edited by tim_w
miss post