Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need suggestions for die setup on XL650 for 300 blackout

Hello All,

I recently received my XL650 and have run into a snag when setting up my dies for 300 Blackout.

I almost exclusively reload subsonic with cast bullets for the 300 blackout. Because of this, I need to bell the case mouth ever so slightly to avoid cutting into the bullet. On my old Loadmaster, I had five stations so I could fit an Expander die in slot 2 and run with it. On my XL650, my only extra station is taken up by the powder check so no room for the expander die.

I need solutions. From my point of view, I have two main options: Remove the Powder Check(prefer not to since I bought it) or Run exclusively jacketed/plated bullets(not really financially feasible for me).

I have been unable to find a powder funnel that would bell the case mouth for the powder measure (please correct me if I am wrong.

At this point, I'm probably going to end up removing the powder check but are there any other solutions you guys/gals can think up?

Thank you for any help!

Edited by kealil

I don't load 300 bo so this is just purely 2nd hand knowledge but I've heard guys loading 300bo and using larger cast bullets use the 30 carbine expander funnel. it's marked "C" and is part 13564.

apparently the AK funnel commonly used to load 300bo won't give enough expansion/bell for cast bullets.

If that doesn't solve it then I'd suggest the best option is remove powder check and run an expander die.

I don't load 300 bo so this is just purely 2nd hand knowledge but I've heard guys loading 300bo and using larger cast bullets use the 30 carbine expander funnel. it's marked "C" and is part 13564.

apparently the AK funnel commonly used to load 300bo won't give enough expansion/bell for cast bullets.

If that doesn't solve it then I'd suggest the best option is remove powder check and run an expander die.

Agreed, I have both funnels, the 30 Carbine funnel can be used to expand the neck as needed:

C%20funnel_zpsu8dtcvxj.jpg

Whereas the AK funnel works like a typical rifle funnel:

61D1rh-40uL._SL1065_.jpg

Edited by RDA

The expander is inside the size/deprime die for the 7.62x39.

The 30 carbine expands and bell/flare with the powder die.

Does the 7.62x39 expander also flare, or bell, the case mouth, or is it like every other rifle expander die?

The 7.62 x 39 powder funnel does not flare the case mouth at all. It is a female funnel, the neck and shoulder of the case go up into the funnel. The 30 Carbine funnel is male, goes inside the case mouth, like a handgun expander funnel.

Yeah, I should have said "rifle sizing die". I was wondering what jmorris' was saying in pointing out the difference between the two. We're talking about flaring the case so cast bullets can be used in the .300 Blackout cartridge, right?

Hello again all!

Thank you for the suggestions. In the interim, I decided to just remove the powder check and run my old expander die. I want to order the M1 powder funnel so I can integrate the powder check again but I want to make sure I have the right part number. I am seeing that the powder funnel "C" SKU 13564 is labelled as M1 carbine. Based on RDA's pictures I think I've chosen the correct one. I'll probably end up calling Dillon to be sure, though.

Thank you again!

I talked with Gary on this... The jury hasn't reached a verdict, yet, on which Powder Funnel - either the 13564 Carbine funnel, or the 13015 AK funnel - is best for the 300 BO.

It might come down to the bullet you load. For boat-tail bullets, the AK Powder Funnel might be best; for flat based bullets, the Carbine Powder Funnel (because it can flare the case) might be best.

I talked with Gary on this... The jury hasn't reached a verdict, yet, on which Powder Funnel - either the 13564 Carbine funnel, or the 13015 AK funnel - is best for the 300 BO.

It might come down to the bullet you load. For boat-tail bullets, the AK Powder Funnel might be best; for flat based bullets, the Carbine Powder Funnel (because it can flare the case) might be best.

That is why I have both. I use the AK version when loading boat tail bullets and the Carbine version when loading coated lead or flat based bullets.

• 1 month later...

I have the AK, and 30 carbine. AK obviously is out of the picture. 30 carbine works fine for jacketed bullets only. I didn't like it for lead. I got the powder funnel from Mr. Bulletfeeder. It expands just a hair more so lead bullets don't shave or swage. It works the best IMHO. I am using an auto bullet feeder so this setup works best for me in 300 BO.

Edited by flyingrhino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

what about using the Dillon 300 Whisper funnel would this not provide enough expansion for cast bullets?

Dillon Powder Funnel - AK 300 Whisper 300 AAC Blackout [13015]

Go back and look at post 4,with the "AK" funnel the case mouth goes inside the die and will provide zero expansion. As the expander is on the decapping pin in the size die.

That is why cast bullet guys use the 30 carbine funnel because it goes into the case mouth expanding the neck and if you lower it it will also bell/flare the mouth, like other pistol dies.