Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Optics

mont1120

Is anyone with an XDm going to try Production optics? I just saw the weight limit was raised, which should grow the division. I am an L10 shooter for the most part, and will move to either SS or Limited if they ever kill the L10, but as my eyes get worse, this option does intrigue me.

I see Springer has the mount that seems to slide into the rear sight, but has anyone here tried it out yet? I have a low cost Sightmark mini red dot sitting around to try, but I have my doubts as to how much recoil it will take. Before I blow $300 on a red dot I just wondered how the XDm sizes up for this option with the mount. Also, what red dot will you use?

I've got an XDM 5.25 set up with a Springer mount and a Burris FastFire 3. I also have a Sig P320 with a FastFire 2 set up. The XDM has a Canyon Creek trigger job so the trigger is superior to the P320. However, when the Bruce Gray / GGI drop in trigger kit gets released for the P320 I will have to re-evaluate.

With the Springer mount it's incredibly easy to install on the XDM 5.25. It's a high quality mount that does exactly as advertised.

20160115_093041_zpsbulk4oep.jpg

I have a fastfire 3 on a springer mount on top of my .40 cal CZ P09 and it has been flawless for many many thousands of rounds, many of those being pretty stout. No problems with the mount or the optic. Don't let that concern slow you down.

According to the rules I read, major power factor does not apply, so when I try it I will load the .40 down to minor. I use Clays and 165 grain Blue Bullets for minor loads, and it is a puff daddy of a round. No sense beating the hell out of a slide mounted optic...................

For those that have done it, how much trouble was it to remove the rear sight on your XDm? I have been away a while and CO might just cause me to get back in the game.

I've not added the springer mount to my wife's xdm, but I did change out her sights to have a black out rear and fiber front...

My God! Was most difficult thing in the world...

Bought a sight pusher off eBay that specifically stated it was sized for Springfield and glock... Cost around 50$ and I almost destroyed it trying to get the sights off... Had to put the slide in the freezer overnight to shrink it down, then put it in a vice and had to use plyers and other tools to get the pusher to move.

Stock sights are veeeeerry difficult to move. Hers was a 4".

I'm assuming the 5.25, which has fiber front sight stock might might be easier to remove move...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by bigbob21

For the XDm 5.25 with rear adjustable sight, it's so easy your kids could do it. All you do is unscrew the rear sight set screws. Lift off rear adjustable sight. Place Springer Precision mount on rear sight space. Screw set screws through mount and into slide. And your done. It's that easy. Since it's not a dovetail sight for 5.25 model all it takes is unscrewing and screwing back in. No need to hammer out sight.

Edited by JGus

I just replaced the rear sight on my xdm 5.25. I left the front sight on as you can see in pic above.

I didn't install sights to co-witness.

Edited by JGus

Removing the rear on a 5.25 gun is easy. Removing the front is difficult. I believe I read somewhere that the front sights are cryofit at the factory. You will need a good sight pusher to remove it. I have the Fisher sight pusher and was able to get mine off but if I were doing it again I would strongly conside just cutting the factory sight out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have an XD Tactical in 40 that I would like to mount a sight on. The rear sight is a dovetail so it should be easy to remove. I have been told the Delta Point is the one to go with. Suggestions.

All the xd line sights are dovetail, or all the ones I've seen. But at the factory, they install them under cold temperature and they expand at room temperature, hence them being so dang tight.

It's hit or miss, some guys say the rears are easy, some are terribly tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an XD Tactical in 40 that I would like to mount a sight on. The rear sight is a dovetail so it should be easy to remove. I have been told the Delta Point is the one to go with. Suggestions.

I would not discount the Doctor Sight, it is the once we use. All three have been fantastic

I'm pretty sure Rob (TGO) will be shooting Carry Optics, wouldn't be surprised to seem him use an XDm

He has been shooting it off and on at Rio. Nice looking gun and he beats most the open guys with it.

I was always pleased with Scott Springer's dovetail mount. Although I never did find a Burris Fast Fire II that would last more than 6 months.

Finally bought a Carver mount and Delta Point, for open, and never looked back.

Not sure about the FastFire 2, but the FastFire 3 has been great. Has never lost zero and works as great now as when it was brand new. But Burris has a lifetime no questions asked full warranty so I'm not too concerned.

Not sure about the FastFire 2, but the FastFire 3 has been great. Has never lost zero and works as great now as when it was brand new. But Burris has a lifetime no questions asked full warranty so I'm not too concerned.

Burris does indeed take care of customers. They replaced a Fast Fire II four different times, for me. They even replaced my backup FF II that was out of warranty.

But, that was not the issue for me . . . not what made me give them up. When you are half way through a 5 stage match and the dot goes out in the middle of stage 3, your match is over. No amount of warranty can make that right!

Reshoot has found the next new division for USPSA competition..... We will call it No Optics Dot, the NOD division. Batteries in the red dot must be removed to avoid cheating, and you can keep your front site intact. The contest will allow you look through clear glass, find your front site, and test your skill and abilities by getting rid of that pesky front and rear aiming system.

This will demonstrate true skill and marksmanship......and ability to control your temper.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Springer Precision rear sight mount on my XDm 5.25, works great! Only problem is my Trijicon RMR is starting to have problems with the dot fading in and out (2000 rounds fired). I was still on my original battery but replacing it made no difference - looks like I'll be calling Trijicon for help!

XDm20Steel20Pistol.jpg