Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot On A 686?

dghboy315

how would you put an inexpensive red dot on a 6" 686 .357 mag? i'm trying to build an inexpensive pin gun.

the factory sights are still on the gun. they are mounted w/ 2 screws on the top of the frame.

i'm thinking of putting a tasco on it, but i'm open to other suggestions.

dghboy315, The newer Smiths are tapped for Weaver Mounts and you should be able to remove the rear sight and mount it. Most of the less expensive dots are set up to take the Weaver Mounts. You may have to order the Mounts to fit the Smith. And if it is an older Smith take it to a gunsmith to drill and tap it for the mounts. Or you could get a B-Square mount that will fit the older Smiths. The front mounting screw is on the small side But should stand up to light loads. If you are shooting the 357 I would go with the Weaver Mounts.

dghboy315,  The newer Smiths are tapped for Weaver Mounts and you should be able to remove the rear sight and mount it.  Most of the less expensive dots are set up to take the Weaver Mounts.  You may have to order the Mounts to fit the Smith.  And if it is an older Smith take it to a gunsmith to drill and tap it for the mounts.  Or you could get a B-Square mount that will fit the older Smiths.  The front mounting screw is on the small side But should stand up to light loads.  If you are shooting the 357 I would go with the Weaver Mounts.

Yeah ......What Bubber said. :)

My first Bianchi gun was a 586 with a Tasco ProPoint that was put together in about 15 minutes. B-Square base and the tasco rings fit together with nothing more than a screwdriver nessecary. You will have to take off the rear sight which requires a different size screwdriver. That gun had 100 K thru it when I got it, and I shot the daylights out of it for 2 years before I switched to an auto.

This is one place that you cannot skimp on a scope. Shootin 200PF loads in a Revo is the hardest combination on a dot. I won more guns and money shooting iron sights against Tascos and other red dots in the 90s than you can shake a stick at. All the mounts that have been suggested are good mounts.

Take this for what it is worth, but if you want a tube style sight got with an ADCO Magnum model, which has been bulletproofed at the factory, or go with a Cmore. They are the only dots I know that will handle 210PF loads in a .357(230pinbusters with Bluedot) and not crush batteries or break the electronics. I cannot opine about the new Oki-dots or the others like it. I learned this the hard way........ ;) Good luck and keep shooting pins!

DougC

how would you put an inexpensive red dot on a 6" 686 .357 mag?  i'm trying to build an inexpensive pin gun. 

the factory sights are still on the gun.  they are mounted w/ 2 screws on the top of the frame.

i'm thinking of putting a tasco on it, but i'm open to other suggestions.

"Inexpensive red dot" will turn into many red dots in pin shooting,

a standard (not so funny) joke was " you need 3 red dots, the one that's

on the gun, the one in your gear bag as backup, and the one back at the

factory being repaired"

As DougC said, pin shooting is VERY tough on optics, the Cmore's have been

holding up I believe from what I've seen, I never thought they would but they

have. Tasco PDP-4's were working well with the single battery cap, the double

batt cap broke off on 4 of my Tasco's. There is a guy in Okalahoma that bullet

proofed tube red dots, alas, now that Tasco is no more there is only so much he

can do. He did have a machined heavy duty double battery cap for the Tasco's,

I have 2 of them on 2 pin guns and they have held up ever since they were

installed (and I used to shoot ALOT of pin loads :P )

I don't think the OKO dot's will stand up to pin loads myself but I may give it a try.

Holosights worked fine, but the batteries crushed around 100-150 rounds of 230PF pin loads out of a SW 627 8 shot. Also remember that the lenses are polarized, so if your shooting glasses are polarized, you wont be able to see the screen very well on a bright day. DougC

...has anybody had any experience with the Bushnell Holosight or the EOTech as far as standing up to heavy-recoiling revo's??? Thanks....mikey357

I have a Gen I halosight, and yes polarized lenses do wash the dots out, I mounted it to my ruger mk II and use it to practice trigger control and holding the dot steady. In January this year I bought a EOtech and love it, it's mounted to my M627 38 super. One day I'll set it up to my ruger blackhawk 45 colt, the one I use to hunt elk, 325gr LBT with 21.5 gr hodgdon lil'gun, around 1250 fps, about 406 power factor. The only bad thing about them is the price, about $325

I use a comparatively inexpensive Millett SP1 on my SRH.  306 PF X 900 rounds and it’s still going strong!

Ed

I have 2 of the Millets and they seem to be pretty robust, seem to be of better

quality than the late model tasco's.

From what I've seen as far as prices they do cost more than the BSA's and such,

guess that's why.