Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Glock for Production?

CAB33

Because, I am learning too. Why would it not be legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appendix D4 21.3 After-market slides and barrels – provided they are the same length, con- tour and caliber as original factory standard. SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect – You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun. BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun. Special Notes/Clarifications: For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within +/- 0.1” of OFM is “the same length”. Barrels of the same length, contour and caliber but with different crown profiles are authorized. 21.4 Grips • For semi-automatic Production

That is where it get crazy though especially in the Glocks. Technically, if you could replace the slide of the with an aftermarket slide, and aftermarket barrel and then what. Especially when it comes to the Glocks. The Glock 34,35,17,17L, and 22 all use the same frame. Outside of the long slides they all use the same slides. The barrels are the deciding factor(I know barrel cuts in the slide are different). My point is you could cheat the system could you not? Staying completely in the rules

Edited by Rangerdug

Why would you spend replacing the slide and barrel to shoot a 9 when you can just download and shoot .40 minor? Glock 35 was my production gun until I switched to a stock 2 in .40 cal. .40 minor is soft.

Edited by bulm540

That is where it get crazy though especially in the Glocks. Technically, if you could replace the slide of the with an aftermarket slide, and aftermarket barrel and then what. Especially when it comes to the Glocks. The Glock 34,35,17,17L, and 22 all use the same frame. Outside of the long slides they all use the same slides. The barrels are the deciding factor(I know barrel cuts in the slide are different). My point is you could cheat the system could you not? Staying completely in the rules

All of this has been beat to death on this forum and others. Technically, it isn't permitted for USPSA production division. In all likelyhood, no one but you would know. (Forward serrations on some aftermarket slides notwithstanding). However, it MIGHT get noticed at a match large or small and that wouldn't be good. Do yourself a favor and stick within the rules. [/soapbox]

The Glock 34,35,17,17L, and 22 all use the same frame. Outside of the long slides they all use the same slides.

Sorry but a 34 and 35 slide are NOT the same.
You planning on finishing the thought? In what way, other then what has been already mentioned different? The barrel diameter is different but we already addressed that? What else? Oh we almost forgot one says 34 and 9mm, the other says 35 and .40.

Edited by Rangerdug

The Glock 34,35,17,17L, and 22 all use the same frame. Outside of the long slides they all use the same slides.

Sorry but a 34 and 35 slide are NOT the same.
You planning on finishing the thought? In what way, other then what has been already mentioned different? The barrel diameter is different but we already addressed that? What else? Oh we almost forgot one says 34 and 9mm, the other says 35 and .40.

The 35 slide is heavier than the 34 slide by about 1.5oz. Even with the 17 and 22 where the slides are more similar you still can't use a conversion barrel. You aren't even allowed to take a 22 frame (which is identical to a 17 frame), put a 9mm ejector on it and then put a complete 17 slide on it. Is there any way they could ever know? No, but it's still against the rules. So not sure what you mean by cheating the system, but staying within the rules.

According to the production rule you can modify the internals... That would mean you could change ejector. Though I have never had an issue keeping the .40 ejector in both G35 or G22 and running 9MM. I am confused however, I don't know what is still being debated. We have stated the rules... My only point was that Glock using aftermarket parts you easily could make a Frankenglock that would or could pass the rules of production. Now, this is only hypothetical, I am not in the lab cooking one up. I love my Glocks, when I first started shooting USPSA, I ignorantly shot production with a 35 and a conversion barrel. I was never questioned on type, only caliber. So this discussion is quite educational. It has made me go back to the rule book myself.

Edited by Rangerdug

Because then it would be cheating, and not within the rules.

While I agree, you could make a Frankenglock that would or could pass, it is against the rules to knowingly do so....or unknowingly do so.

According to the production rule you can modify the internals... That would mean you could change ejector. Though I have never had an issue keeping the .40 ejector in both G35 or G22 and running 9MM. I am confused however, I don't know what is still being debated. We have stated the rules... My only point was the Glock using aftermarket parts you easily make a Frankenglock that would or could pass the rules of production. Now, this is only hypothetical, I am not in the lab cooking one up. I love my Glocks, when I first started shooting USPSA, I ignorantly shot production with a 35 and a conversion barrel. I was never questioned on type only caliber. So this discussion is quite educational. It has made me go back to the rule book myself.

Mistakes do get made, don't they....does that make you somehow less intelligent because you made the mistake? Or simply that you were screwing with everyone else shooting the matches you shot the Frankeglock in?

34. First sights, then play with trigger. If you get a Gen 4 I don't think it needs grip tape. Will want lighter recoil spring, especially if you reload.

Most shots are 3-15 yards, the G34 doesn't do anything better at that distance than a G17.

Maybe for you. I think I shoot the 34 better at 15 yards. Or it could just all be in my head... :goof:

Can you explain to an amateur what a lighter recoil spring does? I recently got into reloading and have seen people talk about tailoring loads to match the recoil spring. But I'm lost.

Sure you could cheat.

Sure you could cheat.
"If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin" -George Weiner

Can you explain to an amateur what a lighter recoil spring does? I recently got into reloading and have seen people talk about tailoring loads to match the recoil spring. But I'm lost.

It's about changing the recoil impulse to get the front sight back on target faster for quicker follow up shots. With the factory recoil spring most people find that when the slide slams back into battery the heavier recoil spring causes the muzzle to dip below the target which causes it to take longer for the front sight to settle.

And most of us are using fast burning powder in our reloads which generate less gas to work the slide. As I mentioned earlier, with my reloads and the factory spring brass just dribbles out of the gun and falls at my feet. Not that big a deal as long as the gun still works though.

Cheating is cheating, period, knowingly violating the stated rules, whether or not you understand them, or agree with them. Gaming is knowing the rules and staying within them, right to the razors edge. Newbies always take issue with the rules, why can't "I" do this and that, it's all OEM Glock parts, so it's stupid, wawawa, yada, yada, Try that argument with the RO at a Level 2 match when you get bumped into Open Division, whether you agree with that or not. It will only cost you $100 up front to lodge a protest. Get at least 3 dozen more matches under your belt, get classified, and read the rules again.....

Put a 13lb ISMI Recoil Spring even if your using Factory Ammo.. It will shoot flatter and the sights will settle faster.. Forget the Factory Recoil Spring, that thing is way too bouncy..

Ditto on this. I shoot only factory ammo of various weights (115, 124, 147gr) and use a Jager steel guide rod and 13# ISMI spring in my G34. No issues in thousands of rounds. Only other mods are "-" connector, grip tape and Dawson comp sights.

Just to throw my $.02 in... I run a Gen4 G17 with Dawson FO front/Black rear. All stock internals, although I did polish everything up - not sure it made a difference, but I enjoy working on things. I don't need grip tape, either as the Gen4 is plenty rough for me to get a good grip.