Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer/pmc Brass

Nemo

:angry: My 650 can't decap these fu<3rs! Talk about a mess and a waste of time! :angry:

If I ever buy non-processed range brass again I'll spend the time and sort those headstamps out of the batch!

Feel better now...

Speer primed brass is actually just Federal primed brass with a different headstamp.

I've heard several folks complain about depriming troubles with Speer brass, but I've gone through thousands of them without trouble :unsure:

I have loaded thousands of Speer with no issues on my 650.  Maybe there is a mod for the decapping pin that will help.  I would call Dillon and ask.

Ditto... though not thousands. I have had zero problems depriming on my 650. It's when it comes to repriming that I have issues. I really should go through my 9mm brass and pick out the .380, the AMERC, and the S&B.

i found most of the time when depriming speer brass, the primer actually sticks to the primer punch and then when raising the handle back up it pulls the primer back into the primer pocket. i took the primer punch out and polished the tip to remove any sharpness and it completely eliminated the problem.

At one time, Speer ran some batches of 357Sig brass with undersized flash holes. This forces the de-primer pin to actually have to punch the hole larger in order to push the primer out. Since 357Sig and 40SW are very similiar cases, its possible that some 40SW brass was run undersized as well.

Polish the decapping pin tip, apply Slide Glide to it, & every once in a while wipe the pin clean & re-apply Slide Glide. [newlywed joke goes HERE]

Same comments on Speer - no complaints about the quality & Monster's post about them being the same as Federal, at least in 40, sounds right. Don't lump them together with PMC which is made in Korea and has much thicker and softer case walls, in my experience.

I never reload PMC, but I think it's nice that they support the USPSA match ammo program. Just make sure you are sighted in for PMC ammo & chrono some too before a tournament if you use it.

sorry for straying off the thread but just to clarify the underage puppy, paul's new beagle, stayed with me when i was in florida at paul & tami's house because she liked my brand of cologne. paul, try using spell check on your next post please. :lol:

Sounds like a machine problem, not a brass problem. I've never had a single problem with Speer or PMC brass on my two Square Deals. Actually, in my opinion, PMC is some of the best brass out there. I'd put it ahead of Remington and on a par with Federal and Winchester. PMC's loaded ammo is not always the greatest, but their brass is absolutely superb in my experience.

I won't use PMC in major 40 (after seeing cases give out in factory ammo).

Speer brass seems to have a fairly loose primer pocket. Combine that with my Federal primers and I don't feel real comfortable in how they fall right in when I go to seat them.