Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to train myself to use both eyes while shooting

ckc189

I have always grown up using 1 eye to shoot a rifle/shotgun so when I started shooting pistols i used the same concept. I am now trying to get into competition shooting and am trying to start shooting with both eyes, but I cant focus my eyes at all! is there a trick to this? and does everyone shoot pistols with both eyes open?

You definitely don't need a red dot equipped pistol. But I have noticed when training newer shooters that if I start them out with one that when they transition to an iron sight pistol they have a tendency to use both eyes. If that's not an option then practice your sight picture in dry fire at a target set to 21 ft. Start out squinting your non dominant eye then fully open it. It takes time and effort. You must decide to shoot with both eyes open. If you dedicate yourself it will become a subconscious act in no time.

I shoot with one eye. If I shoot with both eyes open my focus seems to shift. One second I'm looking at the front sight , the next I'm looking at the left side of the gun. I'm right eye dominant but have better vision in the left, don't know if that is a contributing factor. I also have terrible depth perception.

Stick your finger out in front of your face. If you can focus and see your finger print then I would assume there is nothing physically preventing you from focusing on your front sight. I believe as do many others that being able to shoot with both eyes open is an advantage. But I know some great shooters that only use one eye. Again you must decide that you want to do it then practice. There is no magic answer here. Whether you use tape on your glasses, squint or use a dot it all takes time and effort. I would highly suggest that you do this practice in dry fire first.

A lot depends on eye dominance. I know shooters who can't shoot with both eyes open and do quite well in competition. I was taught to shoot with both eyes open from childhood so I've never done it otherwise (thanks Dad :cheers: ) I can't offer much in the way of advice since I've never done it any other way. I'd say use whatever works better for you, If you see 3 targets with both eyes open, close one eye (or shoot the middle of the 3 targets).

You need a tutor/teacher. Keeping both eyes open is preferred, but some people can not do it. Ask Brian Enos. You need someone to watch you in practice and see if you're actually flinching. Shooting with two eyes open is an acquired skill. I don't know where you live, but any number of people are out there offering lessons that should be close to you. That said, some people do just fine shooting with one eye, because that's all they have. Everybody closes one eye some times when necessary-long range steel comes to mind. Keep at it -it may take a year or two if you have "always shot with one eye". I was taught by my father and Army shooters who taught me both eyes open, but if you don't have that background-it can be hard to do. Stick with it.

I've recently made the switch to shooting with both eyes open. I also see 3 targets so I painted my left lense black and now I can see my sights with both eyes open. I loose depth perception doing it but I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. I shit my first maych like that this weekend and besides a bunch of mikes at 35 yards I did ok. My biggest issue I think from watching my video is I track my sights when transitioning.

I too struggled with this. I would try the tape over eye thing and as soon as it was off doubles started appearing. One day it "clicked" when I was looking down my sights in dry fire, it took about 3-4 days straight of trying every night for 20-30min. Don't think of looking directly at the front sight. Instead look "past it." Focus on the target space just above the front sight (where you want the bullet to go). This stopped double vision for me and it allows you to focus on both the sight and the target. Now I often still shoot with one eye closed/or partially closed at certain distances. After about 10-12yds or so I squint my left eye. At long ranges 20yds+ I completely shut my left eye. I will say I can use both eyes much easier with a red dot so, if what I explained doesn't work try getting a feel for it that way.

closing one eye creates strain in your eyes and that translates to stress while shooing. Ideally you should shoot with both eyes open. I tried the tape method on my non-dominate eye and that helped. I took some cheap safety glasses from Harbor Freight and sanded the non-dominate eye and that worked better. Then I got RX glasses with my dominate eye focused on my front sight distance and my non-dominate eye focused for distant vision. It takes about 30 minutes of wear before I start to shoot to get used to them but after a while I can see my front sight clearly and the target clearly at the same time.

I have been doing the same thing but just using some chap stick.

With tape, it would start to peel when cleaning the lenses, then I'd have to scrape off the rest and start over.

Chap stick wipes off pretty easily, and putting a new application in takes seconds.

• 5 months later...
On February 8, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Bkreutz said:

A lot depends on eye dominance. I know shooters who can't shoot with both eyes open and do quite well in competition. I was taught to shoot with both eyes open from childhood so I've never done it otherwise (thanks Dad :cheers: ) I can't offer much in the way of advice since I've never done it any other way. I'd say use whatever works better for you, If you see 3 targets with both eyes open, close one eye (or shoot the middle of the 3 targets).

+1

Interestingly, I've shot both eyes open for ever (45+ years) but recently have been "losing the post" while transitioning.

:(

Eyes aren't changing focus from target to sights as well as they used to. Finding a need to squint the left eye.

Edited by johnbu