Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Ordance P16 Or Sti?

gregshin

I want to build a hi-cap limited 1911 gun in .40sw and i would like to know which frame is thinner for smaller hands? I was looking at a Para P16 or STI. Also would a .38 super STI frame be thinner then a .40sw?

I have short-ish fingers, and not the hugest hands. I find the STI frame to fit my hands better, especially after a little bit of contouring work on the grip. The various STI frames are all the same dimensions, so it doesn't matter what caliber its in - incidentally, Para widebodies are all the same size as each other, as well.

They are pretty close to each other. On the Para you can take off the grip panels and use skate board tape. That won't change the reach to the trigger though. You can buy really short triggers for both.

Different kind of frames.

Para frames are larger at front, but narrower at back. Sort of a trapeze with wider base front.

S_I frames are almost square, with rounded (or you can round them... :D ) corners.

If your hand has a thick web, I guess a Para frame would better suit you.

OTOH, if you have skinny hands with short fingers, maybe an S_I frame would feel thinner, plus you could contour it to your liking.

I have short fingers but a good size palm.I shot a Para for a couple of seasons then went to S-I. Then one day I picked up a Caspian wide body and never looked back.

IMHO, I would shoot a para over an S-I,only because it fits my hand better. You can have the grips worked on the Para as well. IE, front checkering, filler blocks and grip tape. Plus I like the feel off a Steel framed gun.

• 1 month later...

Para frames with no grips and skateboard tape are great. Just be careful if you have an ambi safety. I had my left side safety pop off in a match this past weekend. I had to get a new one overnighted in time for Area 6 this weekend.

They are pretty close to each other. On the Para you can take off the grip panels and use skate board tape. That won't change the reach to the trigger though. You can buy really short triggers for both.

Who sells really short triggers for the para anymore? Not sure if it's what I need, but I do have a mccormick short trigger in my single stack 45 and love it! Wish I could remember what I had in my para 38 super 11 years ago! :wacko:

If you really want a short and/or custom trigger for the Para start with the factory plastic trigger. I ground mine down to where it was flat and it makes a perfect short trigger. If you go too far it can be built up with epoxy and re ground. By the way this also makes the trigger very light (lighter than any metal triggers) for really light trigger pulls.

Probably the best thing you can do is try several frames S_I, Para with and without grips and Caspian. Some people don't like how a polymer frame feels when they shoot since it flexes more than a metal frame, most can't really feel that though. It also depends on where you want the weight.

TGO prefers metal frames, and I have heard the Burner prefers metal.

Springfield also has a metal frame, but you would have to buy .45 and convert it since they only make full guns in .45.