Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 40- 45gap

Bear1142

I've been thinking about this one ever since the 45 GAP made it's debut. I want a 34/35 style Glock but chambered in 45 GAP, call it the GLOCK 40 or whatever, I don't care. Just make it happen. Who's with me?

Erik

This would be the logical progression IMO. I shot the 37 and had this same idea before seeing the XD 5". That new 38 looks sweet too. I think the 5" should have been next, and certainly they will build it, won't they?

The first GAP gun I touched was an early "fat slide" gun.

I just fondled a G38 the other day. Felt nice (like a Glock). Eight (8) rounds. :wacko: (I wonder if these would qualify as "single-stack"???)

If the 10 rounds mags run as tight as other Glock ten-rounders, then they can keep them.

Not flaming anyone here, but I do not understand the 45 GAP. The 40 S&W is 95% the energy of 45 ACP with the benefit of magazine capacity. I think it’s funny that you will hear people talking about how reloading for the 40 S&W is dangerous and on the ragged edge, if people think that the 40 S&W is dangerous they should go running and screaming from the 45 GAP. I personally know a guy who bought a G-37 and started reloading for it and within a week he KB’ed it pretty bad. Glock fixed it for a small fee but still. I think Glock is missing the boat by not bringing out the long slide 45 ACP and 10 MM and I suppose the long slide 45 GAP too.

but I do not understand the 45 GAP

In my mind, it is real simple.

...Glock rep goes into large police agency to sell them guns

...Agency says, "we want a 45".

...Glock rep comes back with G21

...Agency says, "too big, not all of our officers can grip it"

...Glock rep reports back to the home office

...Home office gives him the new GAP gun

...Glock rep goes back to Agency with the answer to the objections.

Sale made...ballons fall from sky...music and dancing. :)

I dont think reloading for GAP should be any harder than 40 or anything else. The only diference I see with the GAP is bigger hole giving a chance of some of the close rounds on the target being scored as A's instead of C's (I admit, not that much difference, but our game is made of fractions of a second and 1-2 mistakes separates 3-7 places) and I heard from several people, they are very accurate, more accurate than their 40's.

Not saying I'd switch to the "end all, be all", but I wouldnt mind playing around with it and seeing how it was.

I just fondled a G38 the other day.  Felt nice (like a Glock).  Eight (8) rounds.   :wacko:   (I wonder if these would qualify as "single-stack"???)

If the 10 rounds mags run as tight as other Glock ten-rounders, then they can keep them.

The slides aren't Fat anymore? Oh, I'd like a 34/35 style .45GAP with a slim slide, if for nothing else than to piss off my gunsmith who hates the .45GAP.

Why would anyone be opposed to a new cartridge? They don't have to buy it, they don't have to shoot it, and it won't replace what they are shooting now. I think the GAP results are impressive, just like 357Sig. I own neither, because I have guns suitable for every purpose I currently use guns for, and some contingency guns as well. If the gun fairy brought me one, I'd say thanks.

I had a .40S&W in 1991 or 1992 when you couldn't find ammo for it anywhere, and when you did, it was expensive. Folks would say "is that a nine?" or "don't you mean .45?" or "never heard of it". Now it is the widest used cartridge in Law Enforcement, it has made it's way into the gangland rap music, it is the cartridge of choice in USPSA Limited Division, and there are many choosing it for defense. You still hear the "40 short and weak", and "I don't understand why you would want the power of a 9 and the recoil of a 45." (I think that is assbackwards, but they admit readily that they don't understand right up front).

If new stuff were never developed or tried, sure we'd all have .45, 9mm, .38 special, and we'd be just fine, but it doesn't hurt to have new developments. We could survive with horses, trains, and model T's, but I like AC.

If the gun fairy brought me one, I'd say thanks. 

If new stuff were never developed or tried, sure we'd all have .45, 9mm, .38 special, and we'd be just fine, but it doesn't hurt to have new developments.  We could survive with horses, trains, and model T's, but I like AC.

Uhhh, gun fairy, over here please...

What's wrong with a damn horse?

I just fondled a G38 the other day.  Felt nice (like a Glock).  Eight (8) rounds.  :wacko:  (I wonder if these would qualify as "single-stack"???)

Flexmoney,

Those mags are real tight. A person at Smyrna said that they had to be that way to strengthen the mag. I like the 37, shoots great, but those mags are a bear. Fix the mags and I would like to have one.

I've shot a G-37, I thought it was sort of harsh, it was very snappy. I look at the GAP as I do 30-06 and 308. You can do pretty much the same thing with both but one requires a short action and one a long. I think new development of firearms is great but I just can't find a need for this particular one for me.

I'm new to the hardcore IPSC shooting but I can't see a niche for the G-37 in competition, low capacity and high recoil. If I'm missing something let me know.

I have no interest in using one for competition. I want it for a house gun. I like the idea of 45 ACP ballistics in a standard 9/40 grip frame. The 20/21 series are just a hair too big for my hands. The extra barrel length would guarantee the 45 GAP ballistics would match the 45 ACP. What's not to like?

Erik

I just fondled a G38 the other day.  Felt nice (like a Glock).  Eight (8) rounds.   :wacko:   (I wonder if these would qualify as "single-stack"???)

The slides aren't Fat anymore? Oh, I'd like a 34/35 style .45GAP with a slim slide, if for nothing else than to piss off my gunsmith who hates the .45GAP.

Opps...I think I got that bass ackwards. Sorry about that. It was an early slide...which would have made it skinny, right?

A person at Smyrna said that they had to be that way to strengthen the mag.

Not buying that for a minute.

oh, i thought it could possibly be that single stack 45 acp they promised...maybe not.

wish they would at least make a longslide 10mm/45 acp gun.

slap a 40 barrel in the longslide 10mm, and you would have one hell of and Ipsc weapon..

Harmon,

When did they promise a single-stack 45? (Sounds more like a GlockTalk rumor...)

They do make a 6 inch hunting barrel for the G20...as a factory standard part. I think it is 6 inches. And, you can swap a 40 barrel into a G20 in Limited/10. And, KKM makes such a barrel (I think). :) Not the same a long-slide...