Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal bench height, what am I missing

I ordered a 650 with a 650-only strong mount, and I'm trying to draw up some bench plans. I'm running across a lot of conflicting information, and I'm wondering what I'm missing. I read that ideally, I want the handle at rest to be even with my shoulder. I'm also reading recommendations from quite a few places that say the bench should be 36", 42.5", etc. If my shoulder is 60", then I'm coming up with a bench top height of 45.5". What am I missing here?

Capture_zpselfr3k2u.jpg

my bench is 44' tall and my handle with the same set up as you describe sits at just below 59". I wish it was a little bit lower. I'm 6'3" so depending on your height you may want to lower it a bit more. I do like having the taller work bench but it did make my press just a tad taller than I needed it.

The other thing is it makes my case feeder/ bullet feeder tall enough that I need a small step ladder to load brass and bullets

The other thing is it makes my case feeder/ bullet feeder tall enough that I need a small step ladder to load brass and bullets

^^^ This!

You can always cut down the case feeder tubes (Support and feeder tubes) to make the overall height a little shorter.

my bench is 44' tall and my handle with the same set up as you describe sits at just below 59". I wish it was a little bit lower. I'm 6'3" so depending on your height you may want to lower it a bit more. I do like having the taller work bench but it did make my press just a tad taller than I needed it.

I'm 6'1, so I'm guessing I would want it 2" shorter than what you would want. If you could rebuild your bench right now, how tall would you make it?

Truth is - you will NOT know what is good for you, until you run a few thousand rounds, so my recommendation would be not to build too tall a bench - it is easier to add the height than to remove.

You will need to go not by some measurements, but by your comfort, which is different for every person of the same height.

If your intention is to load standing up, then I would build a 42" bench it take it from there.

Unless you can easily shorten your bench legs, that is.

Only with time you will fine the positioning that works for you.

Edited by Foxbat

42" tall bench/table is a lot.

I think you may want look at the height of the shell plate vs the handle. It would be better to look down on that area.

Most benches are in the 30" tall range. What adjusts is the chair.

Just a thought.

I'm 6'1, so I'm guessing I would want it 2" shorter than what you would want. If you could rebuild your bench right now, how tall would you make it?

I think 42" would have been good for me. I wouldn't worry about shell plate height its easy to see everything even with my tall bench. I load standing, so if you are using a chair this may be different for you.

My current bench is 42 1/4" off the ground. It was a little higher than I would have liked when I had my 550, but that is on a 2" higher strong mount. I'll just mount it to this current bench when it comes in, and then go from there. If there's no way to calculate it, I suppose that's what I'll have to do. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bench is 43" from the floor to the top of it and my press is directly bolted onto the bench. My handle (in-line fabrication) is approximately 48" from the floor. This works well for me. I like being able to see down into the 3rd station to make sure there's powder before seating the bullet. I load on a 550B and I'm right at 6' tall.

I am planning on a new bench once we finish the new home construction (haven't started yet but hopefully soon). I will have a dedicated gun room in the house as that was part of the deal on building a new house with the spouse. I have looked into leg levelers so that I can get a nice even bench top. This may likewise assist you in adjusting the height up or down a few inches. This is what I have looked at more for reference than a possible solution -

http://www.classicbilliards.net/html/leg_levelers.cfm

I use a height adjustable chair. With the presses I have, my bench top couldn't be flat if I wanted the press height to be "right" going between them.

There is no industry standard on operating handle height.

Edited by jmorris

The reloading bench I currently use is at counter height. It's that way because I bought broken unfinished kitchen cabinets from home depot, put a butcher block top on it and bolted it to the wall. Don't know the exact dimensions but it currently works well, and I have a counter height bar stool that I use if I need to sit

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well, here's my story and I'm sticking too it.

My current reloading bench is temporary (I hope), it is a re-purposed work bench with some shelving added.

Bench top is 37" above floor. 650 Handle is 53" above floor. I use the 650/550 combo mount which I believe is a little taller than the 650 only. BICBW.

I am 6' 1". I normally start a session standing until everything is running smooth. I have an LED light system on the press, at this height I can look into each case as a powder check without any trouble.

Then I will sit on the edge of a bar height adjustable stool to continue loading. I sit on the edge because it allows me to lean forward as I load and check powder loads, plus add leverage when I need to.

I can reach my case feeder standing on the floor to add cases. Same is true for bullet feeder.

My cleaning/general purpose table is an old drafting table (I've had it 30 years, probably from the 60's). It is 38" tall 38" deep and 72" wide. I use a different non-adjustable bar height stool for working at this table. Use it for cleaning, record keeping, laptop, documentation etc.

Edited by Jimk60

I just got a 1050 and mounted it on my main bench, I use a homemade socket and plate rig that puts it level with the top of the bench thats 41 inches. I'm 5'7" and can already see I gotta do something different. Can barley get cases in the feeder without a step stool and it kills my shoulder doing .223. Its either got to go higher or lower and higher would put the shell plate too high so I guess I'll have to mount it on my 35 inch bench I use for the few times I sit and work. No socket on it either. In my old age I spend more time setting things up so it don't hurt than actually getting anything done.....

I reload while standing; never felt I could get the needed leverage while sitting. From what I'm gathering, the shoulder measurement idea is no good. It would appear that everyone likes something different, and there is no way to measure this out, so here's what I think I'm going to do. I'm going to mount the new press on my existing bench. I'm going to make a platform that I can keep adding height to. I'll keep making it taller until I feel like I've found my ideal height, and then take measurements to make the new bench.

With the goal being the handle at shoulder height when at rest... These dimensions should help you dial it in the bench height:

Dimensions - Machine/Strong Mount
6.5" 650 ONLY Strong Mount raises machine
8.5" 550/650 Strong Mount raises machine
8" Height of Ball Handle from top of bench w/o Strong Mount
7.5" Height of Roller Handle from top of bench w/o Strong Mount
14.0" Total handle height w/Roller Handle and 650 ONLY Strong Mount
16" Roller Handle height of 650, with 550/650 Strong Mount
38.5" Height of 650 w/Casfeeder WITHOUT Strong Mount
45" Height of 650 w/Casfeeder WITH 650 ONLY Strong Mount

Being 6'4 I built my bench higher than most but didn't think about the plan of adding a case feeder had to start over and lower it 12"

Me too! but I can stand and see into the case when I set the bullet. The only time I need to see into case feeder is to clean it. Ladder is cheaper than adjusting my bench. I can sit in a height adjustable stool when cleaning or working on guns.

I ordered a 650 with a 650-only strong mount, and I'm trying to draw up some bench plans. I'm running across a lot of conflicting information, and I'm wondering what I'm missing. I read that ideally, I want the handle at rest to be even with my shoulder. I'm also reading recommendations from quite a few places that say the bench should be 36", 42.5", etc. If my shoulder is 60", then I'm coming up with a bench top height of 45.5". What am I missing here?

Capture_zpselfr3k2u.jpg

My bench height is 40". I am 5ft 8" and can comfortably stand or sit while reloading. I don't not use a strong mount. I don't like the press even with my face being that high up. 40" high is perfect.