Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Techwell TGO or Techwell XT?

Superpipe9

I have both for my 1911's ( I swap and change them around) the TGO is good if you don't wish to trim the front of your mags, I use the CMC std mags with the plastic base on them in my Springfield .45 and have had to trim down the front on all of them for the XT. They are the same magwell other than the front trimmed off at the factory.

Hello: I tried them both and the Dawson Ice is a faster setup for me. I am testing the Dawson IPSC right now and it is just as fast for me as the Ice. If weight is an issue with the Techwell grips I would also look at the Dawson with aluminum mainspring housing and Ergo grips. I am shooting a 9mm so weight is an issue. Going to tri-top my slide next. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I tried them both and the Dawson Ice is a faster setup for me. I am testing the Dawson IPSC right now and it is just as fast for me as the Ice. If weight is an issue with the Techwell grips I would also look at the Dawson with aluminum mainspring housing and Ergo grips. I am shooting a 9mm so weight is an issue. Going to tri-top my slide next. Thanks, Eric

what do you think makes the Dawson ice faster? Do you think it's better? I got a ice and I don't like how it goes on. It could move if hit and I don't want to have that in the middle of a match

I have the TGO and really like it. Haven't tried the XT. The opening on the front of the magwell has not been an issue and allows multiple magazine types. I have Wilson ETM, Dawson, and Tripp and they all work well.

I have both for my 1911's ( I swap and change them around) the TGO is good if you don't wish to trim the front of your mags, I use the CMC std mags with the plastic base on them in my Springfield .45 and have had to trim down the front on all of them for the XT. They are the same magwell other than the front trimmed off at the factory.

So trimming base pads aside, which one is better?

Hey, guys, I have 10 Wilson ETMs and I am using VZ grip. If I want to switch to the kind of "big ass" style magwell, what are my options? From what I gather, it seems Techwell requires the use of their grip panels and Dawson requires the use of their mags.

• 5 weeks later...

I chose Dawson. You do not need to use their magazines. If you use their no-gap insert you need to either buy their no-gap base pads for -your- magazines, or modify the ones you already have to work. If you buy the standard insert, any mags will work.

That said, the Dawson base pads are awesome. They are cut at an angle so they really maximize the amount of base pad you can get into the box. Even if I was using a TGO magwell, I would use Dawson's standard base pads.

Edited by PatJones