Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun

falconew

Shoot a bunch of different guns first before deciding. Its ok to covet thy neighbors gun.

> snip <

+1

Make sure you hold a TS in your hand and make sure you can operate the safety (with your strong hand). A friend of mine picked one up last summer and got it right at Custom Shop ... (and I can't believe he didn't try emulating a draw/safety release etc). Anyhow ... got all the stuff ... extended mag pads etc etc ... and when he finally tried to use it he realized he couldn't operate the safety with one hand and started releasing the safety with his weak hand when drawing .. (yikes).

He tried getting one of the extended LHS (left side safeties ... they are on the website) before he moved to another state but they were waiting for some to show up ... I just checked and those extended safety levers are still in limbo with no ETA. His is in the safe now ... he only shot steel with it anyhow ... so no biggie ... it's only money. I guess if he really wanted to do something about it he could have someone weld a tab on the thing or something.

Just saying ... make sure whatever it is ... that it is really going to work for you before buying.

edit: http://czcustom.com/cztsextendedambisafetylhs.aspx

Edited by pete627

Don't let people fool you that you can run a Glock in limited for cheap. You will buy a magwell, sights, trigger, springs, firing pin, safety plunger, etc etc etc and end up with over a $1000 gun. That is fine if you like Glock (I ran a 35 all tricked out), but they are not any cheaper then a CZ or a Tanfoglio once you get going.

Well, you can do all that stuff, but I just use wide cut Heine sights, OEM 3.5lb connector and a $14 plastic magwell from Amazon. Everything else is OEM. Or course, putting over 170,000 rounds thru it helped.

image37144.jpg

Shoot a bunch of different guns first before deciding. Its ok to covet thy neighbors gun.

But for me the big question is: Do you reload already? If not, I would continue shooting the gun I already have and invest in a good press.

The gun is the cheap part. Keeping it fed is the expensive part IMO.

i do have a great press I drank the blue kool-aid a few years ago and got me a dillion 650 with case feeder. I have a few different guns but there are so many to choose from.

But for me the big question is: Do you reload already? If not, I would continue shooting the gun I already have and invest in a good press.

The gun is the cheap part. Keeping it fed is the expensive part IMO.

i do have a great press I drank the blue kool-aid a few years ago and got me a dillion 650 with case feeder. I have a few different guns but there are so many to choose from.

Then you're set! In that case if you're looking for a Production gun I would add to the suggestions about trying a CZ SP-01 Shadow. Personally I never need to activate the CZs safety and more or less just use the safety as a ledge to rest my thumb. I shot a Glock 34 in Production for a number of years... then one day I tried a SP-01 Shadow and haven't looked back. Tho these days I am shooting SS more than anything else.

I just waited for a decent priced STI. They take some patience to find, but worth the time invested. In the matches here in the NW, Limited is dominated by STI, Production is usually Glocks, Open is again STI, and my favorite, Limited 10 is well, a mixed bag. Colt, Kimber, and Glock.

Maybe go to a match and feel the various firearms there. One of them will feel "right" in your mitts, and balance to what feels right for you.

Don't walk run, to buy the para for 500. A few guys around here run paras and one tends to win and all seem to run good. Also you can get 20-21 in the mags easily. They generally seem to be good guns, don't know about the models with the "upgraded" extractor though, but do know they can be returned to the older style. CZs are great if you live next door to matt mink, and glocks well, basically suck for limited. If you want to run limited on a budget look at para/RI, if you want to/can spend a little more STI, and it goes up from there.

i might be able to buy a para 16-40 with 3 mags for $500 it was made in Canada. Then i could take the extra and add to it?

Nothing wrong with a Para. If you already shot it and like it, then get it. It would be a good way to get in limited division and also buy gear/ammo. I love my Para's and have been shooting them for years. I prefer the feel of the steel frame gun over plastic.

If limited is where you want to end up, and you are not in a hurry (which you shouldn't be) spend some time watching the used market I picked up a used STI Edge with a great trigger and 4 tuned mags for $1500.

Keep in mind that Enos is not the only classifieds on the web. Sometimes you can find deals in strange places.

Edited by Woodsk