Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just wanted to know what people thought of their Scoobies.

I'm thinking about getting a Legacy GT wagon probably this summer. Just wanted to know what other have experienced with them in terms of reliablity.

I need to get a new car probably this summer. My 150 mile commute each day is seriously racking up the miles. I should be close to 1/4 millon by this summer. I'm at 213K right now. Car still runs great, but if something goes wrong I'm sure it'll be a big bill.

I've got an '02 WRX Wagon. I like the car a lot. The only real faults that I've found with it are that they could've raised the price just a little and appointed the interior a little better (the new models have Sparco race seats, though), and, while the head unit is nice, the rest of the stereo (speakers, mainly) is crap. Some aftermarket stereo work helps out a bunch.

I've had to implement 2 recalls, and 1 "psuedo-recall" - all things that are corrected in the current models, as well. Only one of them was anything I was actually concerned about.

I've got 73K on the car, now - getting ready to do brakes on it for the first time.

Overall, seems to be a solid car. I'd likely buy another one - especially if I could get the power of the WRX STi in a wagon body style w/ better appointments.

Oh - AWD rocks!!! I'm not certain I'll own anything else from here on out....

210K on my 94 Legacy SW with no major problems other than normal maintenance items. I've finally retired it for road trips as the transmission is starting to flake out. Subaru is #1 for reliability, but I think the new ones are overpriced and the features are awkward. I *hate* the way they've positioned the doorlocks and the way they work. Same for the power window buttons. They've also screwed up the engines, or at least they did in 98. My 1.8L '94 is like a rocket ship compared to the newer 2.2L. My auto transmission was not the best. It got very hot going up hills. I'd definitely go with a manual. You'll pick up a mile or two a gallon too.

My subaru experience is excellent (we have two in the family), but for $25K+ I'd buy a Chevy pickup or a Tahoe. The new Chevy p/u's get around 20MPG, and the Subaru will get about 25 or worse if you live where they mandate oxygenated fuels. Subaru AWD is good, but Chevy's traction system in the Tahoe is better, way better. Unless you *really* need to give the illusion that you listen to NPR and read Garrison Keillor books, there are more comfortable choices that cost the same or less.

Don't buy a used Subaru. They're like Hondas in that there's virtually no true depreciation, so the final cost per mile driven will be as high or higher than buying brand-new.

I'm looking at a new 2005 or 2006 (if they have MP3 option), Legacy GT Limited Wagon. Manual transmission with the 2.5L turbo charge engine. 250 hp, 0-60 in 5.7 sec should be more than adequate especially for my commute up the moutain, 2800 ft elevation gain on my commute. Don't care about trade in value since I would be putting lots of miles really fast. Just wanted something dependable but fun to drive.

My other choice WAS a Volvo V70R, but most people spend more time driving the V70 XC loaner vehicles. One guy had his spend 100 days in the shop in one year. Car is just too advance since computers control everything on that car.

I have driven my 1.8L 130HP Subaru up the side of just about every volcano in the Pacific NW. I have never needed, nor wanted a turbo. Normally aspirated Subarus, at least mine anyway, have excellent weight to power ratios. Unless you have a good intercooler on that turbo, that's really going to burn up heads quick.

If I was going to put massive miles on a car, I would go sans turbo. But I'm and engineer and genetically predisposed to being cheap.

Hi scooter, i used to manage a dealer workshop of subaru cars in the philippines.

Damn thing is reliable and tough. In 5 years that i was managing the shop in the philippines. we only change oils, filters, plugs, fluids, and brake pads on those vehicles.

Except for 1 wrx that turtled in a ralley. to which we had to do extensive repairs.

its worth buying one in my opinion

I had two Subaru RS's and liked them both a lot. Could't afford the STI so I got a VWgti instead. I'll be going back to Subaru for my next car. I agree with Xre the interior and sterio are a little nicer in the VW but I've heard Subaru is improving the newer models. AWD is as good as they say. Ran all season tires through Vermont winters and never had a problem. 80 miles round trip to work.

Just My .02

I have a 99 Outback wagon and it has easily been the best car I have ever owned. About 110K and no problems other than normal maintenance. With the auto transmission we get 26 on our usual commute (15 miles each way, mostly country roads) and 30 out on the highway.

My folks have a 2001 Outback wagon and they have had a similar experience and are over 130K now. They can't get more than 28 mpg out of their's though. Probably due to the extra weight over the 1999.

As was stated earlier: buying a used Subaru is silly. Just go buy a new one. I looked at lease returns when I bought mine and for a 2 year old lease return I was only saving 2K. Just not worth it.

My dealer told me when we bought our's that he was selling us our first Subaru and that would sell us all the rest of them. He was right. When it comes time to replace this one it will still be a Subaru (unless the company totally screws up).

I have or rather my wife has a 98 Outback wagon and I love it, great mileage comfortable and holds everything for matches close & far.

Although it does have a habit of moving itself at matches.

My husband bought a 01 Outback used and I thought he paid too much for a vehicle with 60K on it ($14.5K) a couple years back. It's very reliable mechanically and hasn't had a burp in the 25K we've put on it.

It had the upgraded sound system which I would recommend from the dealer because aftermarket items are limited unless you drop big coin. Wiring new speakers and putting in a stereo looks to be a supreme hassle so I also would suggest the mp3 option. My husband's outback has the in dash 6 cd changer (a nikiosha - spelling?) and it died a terrible death eating a cd in the process. Trying to find a replacement stereo is a pain because it requires a double din deck - not many choices there. There isn't an aftermarket cd/mp3 player only that will work with the factory radio so you're pretty much stuck replacing the whole thing. If you get a one din deck, you need to buy a dash cover from subaru or you're looking at console wires. It's been a year since the cd changer went out and my engineer husband is so unhappy with the stereo choices for cheap that he is only listening to the radio....Fine for short trips around town but sucks for long distance trips.

We have a 2004 Forrester that is Mrs. Geezer's primary. Absolutely rock solid, reliable and efficient. With three big ol’ boys with gun bags, coolers and several thousand rounds of ammunition it will easily break every speed law in the nation and pass any truck on any hill I have ever encountered.

Don’t have any real experience with snow but I can vouch for the AWD in the wet and slimy! I shoot on two ranges that are over a mile off the pavement and I don’t worry about mud at all. Have driven into and out of mud holes with water covering the hood. These are hard to beat on any level.

geezer

Subarus suck. 7 in total for our family......blow oil the minute you drive them off the lot, then circle the block and drive it directly into their maintenance bay.

LOL! Nah, I have 5 brothers and we all went through stages of buying whilst growing up. First it was gaggle of volkwagen beetles, buses, rabbits etc. and that didnt pan out, then came the muscle car era, then the subaru events. Now my brothers wives insist that subarus are the t*t and continue to buy those hunks of crap much to our protests and chagrins. One brothers wife is on her 3rd sube in as many years and still thinks they are great....<sigh> Luckily my wife doesnt like the look of subes (insert 'P'). :lol:

I've had the same types of experiences in my family with Fords (none of them trucks, for whatever that's worth). I won't buy a Ford, period, at this point....

My Scooby's been nice, so far - I'd buy another. Sorry you guys have had so much trouble. Maybe you need Fords :) :) :)

I'm a firm believer in the Wednesday car myth. If a car (regardless of model or make) is manufactured on a Monday or Friday, watch out - it will always be a problem child. Everyone is either annoyed to be at work on Monday or anxious to leave on Friday. Tuesday and Thursday cars are better but still have the occasional off "day." Wednesday cars always seem to be happy! Coincedentally all my reliable cars have been made on a Wednesday. The VIN number can tell you the date of manufacture. My corvette driving husband and his father have the VIN to Date thing on ZR-1's nearly memorized. Yes, I married a gear head.... :D

My superstition is car dealers. I firmly believe that they sabotage cars both prior to the sale and during servicing. It never fails. If my car breaks, I fix it myself and it stays fixed. My neighbor's car (Subaru) would break. They would take it to the dealer and after that it would be a non-stop circle jerk of return trips. I've never had a good experience with a car mechanic.

(Except with Brian, of course. :) )

The good part about Subarus is that there isn't much that can go wrong that you can't fix yourself. This includes all periodic and not-so-periodic maintenance. I've changed the alternator and power steering pump and both were effortless. My neighbors paid some scuzzbag car mechanic $600 to change sparkplugs and ignition wires once (a 30 minute job including washing your hands).

Another selling point of the Subaru is that it is impossible to crash the valves if the timing belt breaks.

That said, I still think there are more comfortable choices if you're over about 5'8". There's no way to get the seat low enough in a Subaru for me to not be looking through the blue tinted part of the windshield, which I hate. My back always hurts after a long drive in the Subaru.

The good part about Subarus is that there isn't much that can go wrong that you can't fix yourself.  This includes all periodic and not-so-periodic maintenance.

I won't touch an oil change on my wife's Beetle - you have to jack the car up to get clearance for the oil pan, and then when you take the filter off, you end up w/ oil all over the place. My WRX is stupid easy - pull the splash guard, and there, right next to each other, at the bottom of the motor, are the drain plug and filter. Easy job...

My neighbors paid some scuzzbag car mechanic $600 to change sparkplugs and ignition wires once (a 30 minute job including washing your hands). 

Unfortunately, not true on my WRX - changing the plugs is a certified PITA, because you have to remove the washer tank, and all sorts of crap to get to the number 3 and 4 cylinders... :(

Another selling point of the Subaru is that it is impossible to crash the valves if the timing belt breaks. 

The WRX, WRX STi, and Forester 2.5XT all have interference fit motors, IIRC - so this isn't so true anymore, either.... but I'm used to that danger :) They don't even mention timing belt in the owner's manual.... must not be a common failure on these cars, anyhow...

That said, I still think there are more comfortable choices if you're over about 5'8".  There's no way to get the seat low enough in a Subaru for me to not be looking through the blue tinted part of the windshield, which I hate.  My back always hurts after a long drive in the Subaru.

You can buy my wife's Beetle..... :lol: Plenty of head room, etc, there... :)

If a comfortable long-distance commute (105 miles a day) and a minimum of 24 mpg are the criteria, then I would direct you toward a 1997 Cadillac STS: 300 horsepower, seating for four full-sized guys and trunk space aplenty. 101,000 miles, one battery, one set of brakes, one set of tires and recommended oil changes. As Eric said, why be uncomfortable just to give the impression that "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" was on the radio as you unfolded yourself, nursing a sore back, upon arrival at the next match.

PK

Hey Eric, are you going to the 3-gun match in the Tri-Cities on the 17th?

It's been a year since the cd changer went out and my engineer husband is so unhappy with the stereo choices for cheap that he is only listening to the radio....Fine for short trips around town but sucks for long distance trips.

[drift /ON]

Considered Sirius or XM?

[drift /OFF]

Well, I've put several long trips on my WRX. Its as comfortable as any other car I've driven for 18 hours straight. In pretty much any car, my back and butt hurt after that kind of mileage, anyway.... Maybe I should be looking at something different.... :)

Too funny, I just called my bro today and he had to jump his Ford Diesl with his wifes subaru in order to sell it to pay for the timing belt thats going out on the Outback :lol: I asked him to change the belt himself and he said you need a plethora of special tools in order to do it. Maybe Subarus are the anti-christ cars for our family.

I have a 1992 honda Civic with 170k on it that has only had new tires put on it as I drive 1600 miles per month. No oil out the tailpipe and rock solid. I doubt they make them like that anymore as Honda got a little smarter with planned obsolescence with their "lemon powered by gerbils" Element.

My wife has had 2 Foresters. The only complaint I can muster is that the drivers seat is always too far forward when I get in! Her current one is a 2002 base model. Not very comfortable on long cruises, but 30mpg on the highway with the AC on is nice. We will definately buy another.

If you figure out how to solve the "front seat too far forward" problem let me know. My Outback seems to have the same problem.

Oddly enough the wife complains of the opposite problem. :D