Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr bullet deal

mlmiller1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of the doubters:

I really don't care at all if you believe my group size statement. You're missing the point. Are the Wolf gold bullets magic match bullets? No they are not. What they are is a decent substitute and a good quality 55 gr. FMJ.

If you can't shoot a decent group with your current ammo, they won't make you or your rifle a better shooter.

55 gr. FMJ bullets are not match bullets, no matter the brand, but some are a lot better than others. Most people have come to agree that the Hornadys are about as good as it gets, and the point of my post was to compare apples to apples. Same load, same rifles, same carefully prepared brass, shot off a benchrest, and same result when changing only one variable, means they are a good quality bullet for the money.

Perfect - this is exactly what I wanted to know, whether they hold comparable to Hornady out to 300yds/ > 100yd. For me to date, few other 'bulk' bullets hold their own vs the Hornadys, making it effectively just not worth buying others or I'd have to relegate them to 'hoser stages only.'

Seems like they do, so they become a good alternate to H55grs.

I'm a little less thrilled they jacked the price up by 25%, but will pick some up if/when they go on sale and confirm in my rifles.

• 2 weeks later...

What about RMR's .223? They seem to have decent prices on their FMJs.

At what price? I'm seeing $468 for 6k, which is 7.8c each.

I like RMR, but their 'branded' bullets are coming in at the same price or above where I can get known quality for the same or less, e.g.:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/001532266B/22-Caliber-224-Diameter-55-Grain-Soft-Point-W-Cannelure-Approximately-6-and-000Case

or wait for cabbalas or brown ells to run a sale, or:

http://ammunitionstore.com/products/223-rem-55gr-fmj-bullets-224-dia-wolf-performance-4000-piece-case.html

at 6.8c each (shipped).

Why would you use RMR for that $ ?

I like RMR, but their 'branded' bullets are coming in at the same price or above where I can get known quality for the same or less, e.g.:

http://www.midsouths...y-6-and-000Case

http://ammunitionsto...piece-case.html

at 6.8c each (shipped).

That's why I was asking.

And what happens when you include shipping charges? Personally, if I'm ordering a bunch of pistol bullets, I may be inclined to throw a k of their .223 in my cart as well for the $82.00. I think per/k they're reasonably competitive for paper punchers. Not everyone buys 6k at a time.

Edited by clw42

http://www.midsouths...y-6-and-000Case

http://ammunitionsto...piece-case.html

at 6.8c each (shipped).

That's why I was asking.

And what happens when you include shipping charges? Personally, if I'm ordering a bunch of pistol bullets, I may be inclined to throw a k of their .223 in my cart as well for the $82.00. I think per/k they're reasonably competitive for paper punchers. Not everyone buys 6k at a time.

Shipping included in prices/per bullet costs I gave. RMR > 10c each, even non-sale Midsouth Hornady 55gr FMJBT come out to ~8.x c/each or so shipped (assuming not shipping to AK ;) ).

True, prices change if only buying 500-1K at a time - guess that's how Xtreme and others manage to sell some of their bullets.

Nothing wrong with trying some new brand or projectile out, which I do occasionally too, but once you know what works for you, buying in < case quantity is false economy unless it just can't be helped.

I get your point on throwing a few on top of a pistol bullet order - why not? Let us know how they do.

^Thanks. Once I load some up and try them, I'll let you know.^

I think your math is off a little though. RMR is $468/6,000 shipped which is 7.8 cents/round. Even at 1K they're 8.2/round, so not far off. Quality may be a totally different story though...won't know until I try them. You do know what you're getting with the Hornadys from Midsouth though, so that's adds value in it's own right.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Wolf a lot too, only thing is the cannelure is lower on the round compared to Hornady, etc

Yes, it is.

I like that though. Because at my usual OAL, the cannelure is just hidden at the end of the case mouth.

Not sure why I like that so much, but it's clean looking.

With Hornadys, I don't really get any purchase on the case mouth into the cannelure, so it is pretty much useless.

I like the Wolf a lot too, only thing is the cannelure is lower on the round compared to Hornady, etc

Yes, it is.

I like that though. Because at my usual OAL, the cannelure is just hidden at the end of the case mouth.

With Hornadys, I don't really get any purchase on the case mouth into the cannelure, so it is pretty much useless.

It's not a big deal for me either except the first time I loaded them. I bought 4K back when they were $200 and now I wish I'd of bought more at that price

Yes, it is.

Are you using the same OAL with them as you do with the Hornadys?

I have been having good luck with the Wolf 55gr projectiles.

22.5gr H335 ( below book min I believe but no issues)

2.248" oal

The top row of targets are with that load at 50 yards

20160207_121647-1a%20copy_zpshwywaxmh.jp

Hallelujah!

My prayers have finally been answered. Somebody finally posted pics of their groups!

Yes, it is.

Are you using the same OAL with them as you do with the Hornadys?

Yea, same OAL.

2.248" is what I shoot for, but varies between 2.245-2.250"

Edited by savagemann

• 3 weeks later...

Debating between Wolf and Hornady myself. Since they're both 55gr... is there really any difference between them? Is one more consistent in terms of bullet weight?? Just wondering why there's so much difference in price among all the 223 bullets.

• 2 weeks later...

Debating between Wolf and Hornady myself. Since they're both 55gr... is there really any difference between them? Is one more consistent in terms of bullet weight?? Just wondering why there's so much difference in price among all the 223 bullets.

I haven't weighed them to check for consistency, but they look to be well made, judging how the exposed lead looks at the tail end.

I have seen much more expensive bullets look terrible at the boat tail where the lead is exposed.

My only regret was I only bought 4k when they were cheaper.

Had I known better, I would have picked up at least 12k.

I even further regret splitting the order with a buddy, so I only ended up with 3k.

As they approach the price of Hornady, I will buy Hornady 55gr.

They have proven good with my hoser load of 22.5gr H335 @round 2.245" with win SRP in any brass I have put them in. Mostly LC, PMC, RP.

In case anyone didn't know, Mike from CasePro is manufacturing solid copper 55gn projectiles. I've been playing around with them lately and have been very pleased. They run longer than a traditional lead core 55gn bullet, so less powder is required. I've been using them with VV N133 and they make for a very clean burning round. I've only used them in a newly built 10.5 suppressed upper, so I am still putting together some benchmarks for accuracy. He is packaging them in 1000 round quantities and is quick to ship. You'll have to call him for retail pricing.

I finally loaded a few of these. Loaded over cfe 223. Shows some real promise. Mixed range pickup brass, wolf primer. At 200 yds in half value wind I put 9 into a 6 inch shoot & see with 2 just off the edge. Wasnt my best shooting but bullets showed good promise. I need to clean up details & firm up load & I am positive they will shoot 2moa out to 200. At 50, they were shooting 2 moa easily.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$77 / 1000 delivered. Just ordered these this morning. I've never ordered from these guys before but the price was right. After I posted this I see the format of the cut and paste didn't transfer very well, but you still will get the idea. Hornady 55 FMJ BT W/C: http://www.nereloading.com/index.php/product/featured/hornady-55-grain-fmj-223-projectiles.html

Your order #XXXXXXXXX

Placed on June 3, 2016 9:03:38 AM EDT

Item Sku Qty Subtotal Hornady 55 Grain FMJ BT .223 Projectiles (500 Count) HO2267B 2 $77.00 Subtotal $77.00 Shipping & Handling $0.00 Grand Total $77.00

Edited by Clay1

I'm starting to feel that we're very close to seeing the prices of components bottom out. I can't imagine these bullets, for example, getting any cheaper and if you look around you can find some great prices on primers and powder as well. Every time I think I've stockpiled enough I see better prices so I buy more.

Gotta go now so I can order some more Hornady 55s from NE Reloading....

I'm starting to feel that we're very close to seeing the prices of components bottom out. I can't imagine these bullets, for example, getting any cheaper and if you look around you can find some great prices on primers and powder as well. Every time I think I've stockpiled enough I see better prices so I buy more.

Gotta go now so I can order some more Hornady 55s from NE Reloading....

Agreed mows the time to stock up before November