Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr bullet deal

mlmiller1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shot groups with the 55 grain Wolf FMJ's out of a 20 inch Criterion barrel and 16 inch Stretch 16. Both shot around .75 for 5 shots at 100 yards, with TAC and Wolf SRM primers. Outstanding value. The real test will be at 300 yards once I can dig out of 30 inches of snow.

Wow .75 MOA with 5 shots with Wolf FMJ's!

Good first post. Let us know how it does at 300 yards.

I have shot groups with the 55 grain Wolf FMJ's out of a 20 inch Criterion barrel and 16 inch Stretch 16. Both shot around .75 for 5 shots at 100 yards, with TAC and Wolf SRM primers. Outstanding value. The real test will be at 300 yards once I can dig out of 30 inches of snow.

What charge did you use with TAC? COAL? I have some TAC and Wolf SRM on hand that I'd like to try with 55's.

wideners had 55gr mil spec bullets for 350 for 6k the other day. i think that makes it around 7 cents per bullet.

I've had great results with Wideners 55gr M-193 Milspec "HQ" bullets, sub MOA with the right load.

Yes, thier HQ M193's are very good but not always available

I finaly got out last week and shot some 100 yd groups off the bench on paper. With my standard load that normaly shoots Hornady's at or less than 1 MOA I shot two 10 shot back to back groups at 1 MOA ea. I also shot them on steel out to 400 yds. and the ballistics appeared to be identicle to the Hornadys as my zero's at distance were spot on and the accuracy was just as good. I had previously shot a few in one of my other rifles at steel only and they shot identicle to Hornadys at distance, but didn't get to shoot paper that day. Both rifles are 1 in 8 twist, 1 =16", 1=18"

Your results could vary of course but I'll be shooting some more of these. If you buy 1-3K at a time, they are less than Hornadys at the same quantity, even with the shipping charge. If you buy 6K at a time of the Hornadys from some venders they are drop shipped at no charge and are then about the same price. :cheers:

So just order 4000.

My point was;

For me, on the West coast, buying 4000 WG's + shipping, or 6000 Hornadys with free shipping is about the same per-bullet cost. It is nice to have choices we know will get the job done

Edited by reptoid

4000 bullets for $199.99 +shipping comes out to the same price per bullet as 6000 Hornadys shipped??

Just to clear it up for everyone

Old price = $199.99 + $43.22 shipping to west coast= $.06 per bullet

Current prices = 4000 Wolf @ $249.99 + $43.22 shipping to west coast= $.073 per bullet (if you're closer=less frieght)

6000 Hornady @ $468 + free shipping to west coast= $.078 per bullet

Who had the Hornady bullets in stock with shipping included?

I bought mine from Widener's and they were drop-shipped from Hornady no charge. I don't see the 55 FMJ's listed on their web-site now. Their new web format is not to my liking- Doesn't show items at all that are not in stock so I can't tell if they don't carry something at all, or they're just out of stock :unsure:

You can also get them from Midsouth

Edited by reptoid

These are some amazing claims for wolf gold bullets......

Yeah, I'd like to see pics of actual 100 yard groups.

Over at AR15.com, they have a "one MOA all day" challenge. Five, 5 shot groups. A lot of guys claim they can shoot MOA, but it is "put up or shut up" with how that challenge is structured. The even have a "Wall of Claim" where other posters get called out and then get mocked for not "puting up". My latest order from LaRue actually came with the targets to use.

I still have a bunch of Montana Gold 55 grainers I bought years ago. I finally got around to loading some of them. This is how they grouped...err...patterned:

20151108_204945_zpsfh6utr8s.jpg

Now, granted, I did not do any testing with different powder charge weights (a.k.a. ladder test???).

If the Wolf bullets can group better than that, I would be interested. Even better if they arrived at a lower price per bullet than the Hornadys.

Edited by Chills1994

For all of the doubters:

I really don't care at all if you believe my group size statement. You're missing the point. Are the Wolf gold bullets magic match bullets? No they are not. What they are is a decent substitute and a good quality 55 gr. FMJ.

If you can't shoot a decent group with your current ammo, they won't make you or your rifle a better shooter.

55 gr. FMJ bullets are not match bullets, no matter the brand, but some are a lot better than others. Most people have come to agree that the Hornadys are about as good as it gets, and the point of my post was to compare apples to apples. Same load, same rifles, same carefully prepared brass, shot off a benchrest, and same result when changing only one variable, means they are a good quality bullet for the money.