Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

55gr bullet deal

mlmiller1

I noticed on the regular Graf's website that Armscor has 55 grainers for sale too. It looks like they are running 10 cents each retail. One club I am a member of gets wholesale pricing at Graf's. My gun club president also believes that the Montana Gold 230 grain .45 ACP bullets were the exact same as the Armscor.

Anyone here ever try the Armscor 55 grainers for .223 (.224)?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's 10 cents retail. For me it would be wholesale. It used to be all the club members could see dealer pricing on the graf's website. Now it is just the single solitary club contact.

I still have plenty of the 55 grainers from Montana Gold.

Some outfit just lately was selling factory seconds of what looked like 77 grain SMK's for $70 to $80 per 500.

I just pulled the trigger on the wolf 55gr. 5.825 cents each including delivery. I hope they are decent.

Thank you Rdinga & everyone! Who knows, maybe they are great? hahaha. As long as they will hold a couple of moa to 200 or so, that will work for me.

It will be a while before I can post a review but I will. Even if I had them here in my hands, all the local ranges are closed due to the "blizzard" we had. Our part of the world is not equipped to handle that little bit of snow.

This should put my reloads, not counting the brass(most of which I've gotten for the labor of picking it up) at a little less than 16 cents each! Now who wouldn't want to be able to shoot .223 for $16/100? This should motivate me to practice. The thought of 50 cents every time I pulled the trigger was a little daunting to me when that was the best online deal for hoser ammo. Of course the cost is back down to 33 cents or so now but still, this is half that.

Another vote for Monmouth Reloading. They consistently have the best price on all quantities of both 55gr and .30 caliber 150gr FMJBT projectiles. Their shipping is also very reasonable.

One thing to consider is that many consider the Hornady SP to actually be more consistent/accurate than the FMJ.

This. I quit loading FMJ when I tried this. My groups got a lot smaller. The good thing is that they are usually the same price, sometimes cheaper.

Box arrived a few minutes ago. Well packed. Disclaimer...I am not a machinist or engineer but these are the numbers I got with scale & dial calipers. Weighed & measured 6 bullets. Weight from 54.6 to 54.8gr. Length only varied 3 thou from .739 to .742. The shortest were not the lightest weight. The diameter so consistent that I would say they measure .2235 give or take nothing. Oh & non magnetic. I understand cheapest isnt best but hopefully they will work ok. So far I am pleased. 4000 Delivered for 5.81 cents each.

That's a great price. I'm anxious to see a review once all of your snow melts. Around here they cancel school and businesses don't open if there's even a chance of snow in the forecast.

Mark,

The jacket consistency will be the final indicator of accuracy. I've purchased bullets that were more consistent in both weight and diameter than Hornady 55 FMJ's, yet, groups were consistently larger. Great short range bullets, just not as accurate at distance.

Bulk packages of bullets are often packed by weight rather than actually being counted so ending up with exactly 1000 bullets may not be the norm. Some places will throw in a few extras to compensate for shortages.

Some name brand hoser bullets are on sale for about $.07 ea:

Remington: $148.99+s/h for 2K

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601173642/remington-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-55-grain-full-metal-jacket

Hornady: $420+s/h for 6K

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bullets/rifle-bullets/22-cal-224-55gr-fmj-bt-cannelure-6-000-case-sku100200066-55232-111802.aspx

Bought some of the Remingtons to see if they are more accurate than the Hornady 55's FMJBT's I already have.

Good luck with those Remingtons. Last ones I bought varied quite a bit in weight (as in 3 grains either way)and length. I got to investigating when I couldn't get any decent accuracy out of them. Laying them in your hand or standing on the bench you could see a difference with your eye, so QC isn't top priority. I called them and the guy at Remington told me to not expect the same consistency as premium jacketed bullets.

Good luck with those Remingtons. Last ones I bought varied quite a bit in weight (as in 3 grains either way)and length. I got to investigating when I couldn't get any decent accuracy out of them. Laying them in your hand or standing on the bench you could see a difference with your eye, so QC isn't top priority. I called them and the guy at Remington told me to not expect the same consistency as premium jacketed bullets.

I had the same experience :(

When did you buy them? The 2015 reviews at Midway look very positive.

It's been a few years. I would probably trade money for their Golden Bullets rimfire ammo before their bulk centerfire bullets. Maybe they've improved or I got a bad lot, who knows?

Pulled the trigger on these as well. For .0565 cents a piece I figured it was worth a shot!

I have been pleased with the Wolf 55gr FMJ so far. I picked up 1k end of last year to try them out. I was pleased with performace for what I will use them for (training classes, local 3Gun).

FedEx says my latest order of 8k will be here tomorrow.

I have shot groups with the 55 grain Wolf FMJ's out of a 20 inch Criterion barrel and 16 inch Stretch 16. Both shot around .75 for 5 shots at 100 yards, with TAC and Wolf SRM primers. Outstanding value. The real test will be at 300 yards once I can dig out of 30 inches of snow.