Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer heads popping off

Sarge

Came across two 5 gal buckets of 45 brass. I started depriming to wet tumble and about 25% of the primers are breaking the heads off. The brass got wet at some point I suppose but otherwise is mostly once fired. Is there a way to reduce the primers separating upon deprime? I have tried going very slow and gentle as well as very jerky. No change in frequency at all. I was wondering if there was some magic trick perhaps. Freezing first? soaking in a solvent?

Also, I assume there is no trick or tool to get the sheared off primers out of the case?

This seems to happen when cases have been wet. Somehow part of the cup come out but bits are stuck in the pocket.

I don't think there's anytging you can do to return integrity to the primers but heating them a little before decapping might help make the whole primer come out as one?

Save the brass with the "ringer" and sell for scrap along with all the expended primers you have saved. Haven't you ????

Seems like I get a flat tire when I go to scrap yards so I generally leave stuff out at the curb for the local scrapper family

Been there done that. They are welded in there with the primer compound. Deprime them all, inspect, and discard. That is the only tried and true method that will not enrage you when trying to prime the cases.....

DougC

This. Run them all through to deprime and then hand sort. I bought 5k military 9mm... had to hand sort it all. What a PITA.

This has me re-thinking the wet tumbling with the primer in if the brass is not going to be used right away.

Yeah, I would not chance it. Not sure how long these cases were out in the elements but the cases don't LOOK bad at all so I don't think it takes much.

I have almost 2 full buckets to deprime before wet tumbling and about 1 out of 5 have to be worked out of the shell plate. I can not imagine having these issues during loading on a progressive

Guys,

I don't think the problem with ringers is a problem with the brass getting wet. If this was the case 50% of the brass that I pick up at are range would be useless. I literally pour water out of the cases that I pick up during the early spring and late fall.

Does anyone think that the problem could be primer anvils or the punches on the sizing dies. The few cases that I have come about that did contain some ringers did come from a match that we had that day. All that brass was picked up that day and nothing was wet.

TDH

Guys,

I don't think the problem with ringers is a problem with the brass getting wet. If this was the case 50% of the brass that I pick up at are range would be useless. I literally pour water out of the cases that I pick up during the early spring and late fall.

Does anyone think that the problem could be primer anvils or the punches on the sizing dies. The few cases that I have come about that did contain some ringers did come from a match that we had that day. All that brass was picked up that day and nothing was wet.

TDH

No. I modify all my pins exactly the same. Regardless, if a primer head is separating and leaving a ringer that is a stuck primer and makes no difference what it gets punched with. There are no holes in the primer. The head just shears off

It is not just getting the cases wet. This happens due to corrosion based on long term being wet and the priming compound deteriorating and glueing in the primer body. If you wet tumble and take a week to deprime no biggie. But from what I have heard you should deprime prior to tumbling so the media doesn't get stuck in the flash hole.

Never had a problem with stainless media getting stuck in flash hole with primers in place. In the dirt they could stay wet for months, my wet tumbling method has them wet for an hour.

Do you load them right away or just dry them really good somehow?

I'm not sure if it's still the case (no pun intended), but military rounds used to be made with the bullets and primers coated with shellac for waterproofing. Even if the cases aren't military crimped, if they are foreign made, could they have some kind of sealant causing the problem? Total shot in the dark (pun intended!).

Do you load them right away or just dry them really good somehow?

Texas sun, a few thousand layed out and in 2.5 beers not only are they dry, you can't hold them in a bare hand.

IMG_20130727_144639_090_zpsd9095290.jpg

What is that media separator? Where can you get one?