Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes in SA, but rarely in DA

johnbu

Ok, a friend bought a pair of stock 2's. I helped him install a titan hammer, xtreme sear, firing pin, extended fpb, light hammer and FP springs. We did a full polish of the firing pin, FP block, hammer strut, trigger bow, plunger and their holes. Trigger feels great around 7 da and 3 sa.

But...

He is now getting random light strikes in Single Action, but rarely in DA. He keeps his equipment meticulously clean by the way. I'm thinking the over travel screw is out too far. He is checking for obvious signs of hammer interference.

But what other conditions can cause this SA light strikes but rarely DA?

By the way, he is a couple hours away so diagnosis is a bit more difficult.

Thanks x

Has he checked his ammo in the barrel of his guns? Plunk test? (Are they handloads? Have you tried factory ammo?) I had an issue with light strikes for a while that was hard to diagnose. What I realized was happening was I was loading too long and the round wouldn't seat completely against the chamber lip. When the FP hit it instead of all the energy going into setting it off, it would push the round forward, ever so slightly, and seat it. Basically the same idea as high primers. I could almost understand the DA vs SA thing, because most DA shots are when you aggressively slingshot the slide to chamber the first round, and you'll probably look down to make sure the round is fully chambered. If you have a bad grip on the gun every once in a while while firing, I could see the limp wristing result in a round that is not fully seated until slapped by the primer.

Or I could be barking up the entirely wrong tree, good luck!

random light strikes in Single Action, but rarely in DA.

AHA!!! I missed that the first time...

So, he's getting light strikes BOTH DA and SA ....

Yeah, I'd look at the possible reasons given above (high primers, The Plunk Test, etc). first,

see if that clears it all up. :cheers:

Has he checked his ammo in the barrel of his guns? Plunk test? (Are they handloads? Have you tried factory ammo?) I had an issue with light strikes for a while that was hard to diagnose. What I realized was happening was I was loading too long and the round wouldn't seat completely against the chamber lip. When the FP hit it instead of all the energy going into setting it off, it would push the round forward, ever so slightly, and seat it. Basically the same idea as high primers. I could almost understand the DA vs SA thing, because most DA shots are when you aggressively slingshot the slide to chamber the first round, and you'll probably look down to make sure the round is fully chambered. If you have a bad grip on the gun every once in a while while firing, I could see the limp wristing result in a round that is not fully seated until slapped by the primer.

Or I could be barking up the entirely wrong tree, good luck!

I will discuss that plunk test with him.

On edit------ both of his s2's pass plunk test

His firing technique is NOT any part of the issue. (He's a GM with plastic guns)

Edited by johnbu

Overtravel set too little or FPB dragging/hooking would be my guesses

I'm having him back out the screws.

If it's the fpb dragging, what is the correction? Slow removal of material off the extended fpb?

Do you have a target total height? They are currently as manufactured by EG.

Thanks!

I would have sworn you'd be much more likely to get light strikes in DA than in SA ... :ph34r:

Can't wait for the experts to tell us what's going wrong here. :cheers:

This is what I understand as well. DA trigger travel is not as far as SA.

Could it be that it's just more probable that he thinks it happens more in SA since the LARGE majority of shots fired are in SA?

Light strikes due to primer seating depth and primer brand is the most plausible cause. I would start there.

Further data....

Running full mags in dA results in good ignition. The few DA fail to fire, never fired. No matter how often tried and he feels they were ammo duds.

Im "assuming" this points more to the OT screw and not the FPB. (Yes?)

Edited by johnbu

Further data....

Running full mags in dA results in good ignition. The few DA fail to fire, never fired. No matter how often tried and he feels they were ammo duds.

Im "assuming" this points more to the OT screw and not the FPB. (Yes?)

Interesting, I admit, I am having some of the same problems every few hundred rounds. SA strike, no ignition, 2 or more DA strikes still no ignition. I have retrieved the round and it has a very pronounced FP mark on it... I always though it was just the Remington 1 1/2 primers I'm trying to finish up. I was hoping my problems would go away after I switched over to Winchesters. Will the 'dud' rounds go off in any other guns after the fact?

I don't think I have seen anyone suggest it yet. Try just taking the FPB and spring out of the gun and shoot it. If the problem goes away, you know it is somehow FPB related. If it doesn't, you can shift your focus to other possible causes.

I've made that suggestion. He hasn't gone to the range to try out things suggested. I did suggest backing out the over travel screw snd shooting #2 pencil straight up 10x. Then screwing it in a turn and repeating until short launches or no fire happens.

My opinion is the OT screw is most likely the present problem, as he said running full mags in DA went flawlessly, so the fpb "probably" isn't the culprit. As any drag from the fpb should make the da fail more often than the stronger SA. That's where I'm at pending further range tests etc from him.

I also doubt it's ammo. But will have him keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Have him pull the firing pin block out and take it to the range and see if the problem goes away. I have the same problem with a Stock II that I set up with same parts. I pulled the firing pin block out and shot 500 rounds through it with no problem at all. I do think even with all the parts working right with that spring set up you need to make sure you use Federal primers. Please keep us posted.

take out the fpb...if you have no issues after you removed the FPB (ie: you fire a bunch of rounds from DA and SA.)...than I am going to say a fitment issue. While the firing pin and fpb are out...look at them for wear...or contact areas. I had a friend with a limited Custom 40...he was getting light strikes or no strikes. I removed the fpb,..he had no issues after that...AND the fp was getting hit from the FPB...you could see where it had hit and peened out the area. Polishing the area where the pin is getting hit may eleviate the problem..as well as polishing the FPB. It should move freely up and down. Other culprits can be the fpb area could be clogged with residue, as well as the firing pin channel. For an open gun or standard gun...throw the fpb in the parts bin. Production you need to run one.

Going to see the man and his light striking S2's.

He says it's getting worse. He backed the trigger over travel screw out with no change.

If pulling out the extended FPB "fixes" the issue, is the correct procedure to just sand the "top" part that sticks out of the slide ? I've not had to mess with that before, they just plopped in with no issues.

the internals of the two tanfoglios that i have , all had problems with the timing of the trigger bar with the wings of the interrupter, try to round the edge of the wings that make contact on the trigger bar so when you pull the trigger in single action they don't have any interference at all hope it helps

I'm annoyed. Wrote a long detailed history of what we did today and this stupid android thing ate it!

Short answer..... the commercial reloaded ammo he uses is probably the cause. Swapped him my spare S2 top and he still had light strikes. My guns ran flawlessly (it was 25f shooting, so I was concerned). Traded ammo and his gun flew and mine started having light strikes. They showed very shallow dimples, so I think it's primer depth related.

He was doutful as he's run 40-50k rounds in his old striker guns and it's "the same stuff" a well known person uses with his tanfos. The ammo passes plunk in his guns, btw. Still, can't argue when the fails follow the ammo.

Thanks to all that helped! :)