Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for input on new sights for my Springfield TRP non-rail

midvalleyshooter

I want to replace the sights on my Springfield TRP non rail. I am curious if anyone else has done this and how it worked out. What sights did you use? Mine has the Novak sights, rear is .375 tall and the front is .180 tall.

I prefer a fiber optic front insert.

Thanks,

Keith

Edited by midvalleyshooter

Just put a Dawson Fiber optic on the front and be done... I have the full set on a G35(Fiber front and rear) and just the Fiber front that comes on the STI DVC. I like just the fiber front with the BoMar style back. The red fiber optic is easy to pick up in the rear all black notch of the Bomar rear. Almost like a red dot! :D

I have a SA 40sw with fixed sights. The front/rear cut are novak and a standard factory (whatever that is)!

What was important to me, was the rear sight notch measurements. I finally went with the Dawson rear sight with a .125/.375 tall and Dawson .090/.100 tall front black sight. Worked out great, both are novak cut and the rear sight, is the one Dawson sells as their design.

All the other makers of fixed (novak cut) sights were too wide and their front sights, also too wide for me. I wanted to stay with a thinner front sight (.100) and I did try a .100 front sight width with the rear sight .125 but preferred the .90 width better. Its does give that little extra light around the FS, for quick shooting and without sacrificing precision on longer shots out to 30 yds or more!

Sevingy, was another one I was looking at but he does not sell the rear sight only! You have to buy the set and his front sight width matches his rear sight of .135. I think also his FS only comes in size height, so if you need to go taller or lower on the FS, you could not!

Dawson sights are excellent. Any combo you want , they have it.

good luck

BTW, you can install them yourself and save...)

The 10-8 rear I have for my TRP is the .375" high with the .140" notch. The Dawson front sight measured .196" high so I must have ordered the .200" height but I can't remember. It is .100" wide.

I went out yesterday to see where my groups were landing at 7 and 15 yards. I ended up shortening the front sight blade by ~0.012" and drifting the rear sight to the left by ~0.006". I'll confirm these tweaks today sometime before tonight's practice match.

I had been getting by with Springfield and Kensight rear adjustables for the Novak cut. The Kensight fell apart during a match and the Springfield was probably going to fall apart because the same model fell apart on one of my non-competition guns.

I enjoy the process of setting up fixed sights (which really are adjustable, it just takes more effort to adjust them). The end result is much more solid.

Great to read guys. I have a TRP as my backup and it definitely needs the sights changed. I already ordered the dawson front (have it on my trophy match too) and was looking at the 10-8 just hadn't decided on how wide a notch. glad to hear it is a good setup.

Thanks.

Red

In my personal opinion, they work surprisingly well, and that includes shooting under lights at night. I have heard some shooters say that when sunlight is shining on them just right it can cause a bit of glare, but haven't experienced anything personally like that. For that matter, one can experience "flare" with fiber optic sights. I have been pleasantly surprised with the gold bead and feel that it is more robust that a F/O sight.