Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crappy Dental Insurance And The

carinab

I HATE that I just spent the last hour watching my toddler daughter get tortured over her first filling.

I HATE that the dentist we've been going to has decided not to take our crappy insurance after March 31st. This means that I couldn't wait two weeks until my daughter's cold cleared up before having her filling done.

I HATE that my husband's company has the cheapest, crapiest plan which means that NO ONE wants to accept it which is why I couldn't wait. The only dentists that do take it are either crappy or inexperienced or both. Their crappy offices are either in the middle of a DMZ or out in the middle of nowhere. They also won't refer to a pediatric dentist because they are greedy which I HATE.

I HATE that I spent an entire day trying to find another dentist and couldn't.

I HATE that her nose was so stuffy she could barely breath the laughing gas.

I HATE that this dentist didn't listen to me when I said that the bite block was too big and that she would panic if she started to gag. When she gagged, she couldn't breath. When she couldn't breath, her body went into survival mode and every ounce of green snot came shooting out her nose all over everything and everyone.

I HATE that the dentist gave me a dirty look like it was my fault!

I HATE that I had to resist the urge to beat the snot out of the dentist.

I HATE that I had to hold her down during the rest of the process as she screamed, cried, kicked, and begged for it to stop. This is a kid who NEVER once cried over 2 1/2 years of her immunization shots, who never cries when she falls, who never says the word "Ouch."

I HATE that on top having payroll deductions to pay for the crappy insurance, we still have to pay for the office visit and 60% of the charges. Oh, and they don't cover the laughing gas that she didn't get to breath.

I HATE that after we were through, she was so mad at me she said she HATED me.

I HATE that I will have to talk with my husband about why she got the cavity in the first place. I don't care if she's going to loose those teeth in another three years, brushing is still part of the bedtime routine!!!

Yeh, and this is one of those unfortunate experiences she's liable to traumatically remember for ages. Whatta shame, dammit. Good dentists, on the other hand, are truly a blessing to society and make dental work merely routine--even oral surgery is no big deal any more with good caregivers. You get what you pay for, I'm afraid. I've had occasional very serious work done and have just researched the caregiver and plunked it out of pocket. No problems and great care. I realize that method is not an option for all of us... and I only get care when it's an emergency. I have never really had much health insurance. Mostly NONE.

I think I had a dentist like that when I was a kid.. I've gotten better over the years and actually enjoy the laughing gas now (with my choice of music to go along with it).. but for a very long time I disliked dentists and going to the dentist in general.

Vince

Mrs. B,

I HATE that you and specially your baby girl had to go through that :(

Had a similar experience with my oldest son and remember been in the verge of causing some grave bodily harm on the a$$hole so called doctor. :angry:

Hope baby is feeling better!

My wife had an experience like this when she was a kid - she left the dentist literally black and blue. In fact, she had several, but the last one (w/ the bruising) broke the camel's back - her parents had to believe her, then (doc wouldn't let them come back, at that point....)

I'm lucky enough to have a good, compassionate dentist. Dentists should remember that kids are scared of all the noises and the things that are going on, and their mouths are *small* and don't react kindly to whole hands being shoved in there. Makes me want to return the treatment :(

Try looking at http://www.deltadentalins.com/fl_indiv/index.html and opting out of your other insurance. 

I was in the same boat and went this route.  I also ended up paying out of my pocket 100% for my daughter instead of using one of the crappy plan dentists we wre being forced to use.

Later, Steven

I have found Delta Delta to be wonderful - I have not yet run into a dentist who doesn't take Delta, and their (at least in the Boston area) requires that you be billed for deductibles and copays based on the Delta contract rate - not the asking price.

Someone I know paid $140 on a $600+ bill for dental work based on the dentist's estimate and copay percentage (the dentist demanded this amount at time of treatment). The Delta statement showed the allowed price was under $250, and that the patient share was about $80 .... so he billed the dentist for the overpayment and it was promptly refunded. BUT... there is little doubt the dentist would have hammered him the full $600 if Delta were not in the loop.

Pay now in cash $600 - have your insurance pay later $250.

What I really hate is the concept of paying over double when you give the dentist the cash directly instead of through insurance.

Well unbelievably, my daughter seems to be no worse for wear this afternoon. However, I'm not going through this again even if I have to sell a gun to pay for her treatments at a REAL pediatric dentist. I'll look into the delta dental plan and see if it's offered in Texas.

The insurance industry has a strangle hold here in Texas. Car insurance is double what it is elsewhere. Home owner rates are ridiculous. You don't even want to know the hassles I had with the health insurance when I delivered Kirsten...It was cobra coverage from my husband's previous employer (he was laid off at month 6) and the employer's corporate office was in Minnesota not Texas. As soon as my daughter hit the end of the birth canal, she wasn't covered. Texas law mandates that all newborns are covered on the mother's policy for 30 days. Since they were in Minnesota, they pooh-poohed it, said too bad, you owe. They also conviently forgot to mention that I only had 30 days to add her to the policy. It took them 3 weeks after she was born to reject the charges. Fortunately, birth is one of those "life altering" events and we were allowed to add her onto my huband's new employer's policy outside of the enrollment period. We still had to pay 20% of her bills though. All the while, the hospital was threatening to send us to collections. It took six months to clear it all up and I ended up with a file folder two inches thick full of paperwork.

I HATE insurance companies...I have yet to deal with one that wasn't trying to screw me.

I HATE insurance companies...I have yet to deal with one that wasn't trying to screw me.

....and they probably didn't bring flowers and buy you dinner first either..... :P:P

I've never had great dealings with health insurance. OTOH, when we submitted our last claim for car insurance, the response rocked. Of course that was about 8 or 9 years ago --- now they might drop us for a claim.....

Try looking at http://www.deltadentalins.com/fl_indiv/index.html and opting out of your other insurance. 

I was in the same boat and went this route.  I also ended up paying out of my pocket 100% for my daughter instead of using one of the crappy plan dentists we wre being forced to use.

Later, Steven

ugh, I hate that we can't get individual Delta Dental policies in WA state (unless you also have an individual health policy with Group Death). :angry:

Carina, Delta is what our Company uses for it's dental and it's not to bad. (Sprint Did have better insurance last year) My daughter (Shea) just had braces done and they paid for a good chunk. We also have had no problems finding Dr's to take Delta.

I HATE that our primary insurance is not paying MD anderson!!!!!

I am the most conservative person you will ever meet politically with 2 notable exceptions. The main one is health insurance. The current system is just out of control and is not helping anyone (41 million uninsured, 40% of all bankrupcies caused by medical bills).

There needs to be some sort of universal coverage available - hopefully not through the government, but if necessary!!

I am the most conservative person you will ever meet politically with 2 notable exceptions. The main one is health insurance. The current system is just out of control and is not helping anyone (41 million uninsured, 40% of all bankrupcies caused by medical bills).

There needs to be some sort of universal coverage available - hopefully not through the government, but if necessary!!

I shouldn't, but...

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free!

I can think of no profession other than medicine where the institutions of learning are, by law, not allowed to accept more students that the current practicioners of the art think is best for the profession.

I shouldn't, but...

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free!

What is Dental Insurance????

As it is I pay $900 a month for doctor insurance. (It is not "health insurance" If I have health, I don't need it)

How much more will they hit me for the dentist insurance :angry:

Pay as you go and pick your vendor whether it be Doctor, Dentist, Mechanic, or gunsmith.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I've also had a dentist tell me I needed a major filling and, since they did crappy work previously, I doubted their word and got a second opinion.

You guessed it - I didn't need that filling - they're just drumming up business. I'm sure most dentists are not like this, but some are!!! :angry:

I can't remember any of my dentists as a kid being horrible. Other than the sound or the drill or the mr. slurpy shifting, nothing bad.

As an teenager and adult, it ahs been one bad experience after another.