Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clean Brass?

bzt

You send them to me and I keep them busy...

How determined are you to keep tarnish at bay?

bag them with a desiccant and an oxygen getter should work...

put some wax in the tumbler for that new car shine?

I think you only need to keep them dry.

miranda

Give them a quick bath in very hot citric acid. Doesnt need to be a super high concentrate, a couple teaspoons in a quart of water. Only need to be in there a couple minutes, then a quick rinse in fresh water should keep them shiney for a long time. Citric acid passivates or protects the brass, so if you store them for a real long time that is good.

You can get citric acid from a number of places, I get mine at Walmart in the canning section.

Edited by dave33

Give them a quick bath in very hot citric acid. Doesnt need to be a super high concentrate, a couple teaspoons in a quart of water. Only need to be in there a couple minutes, then a quick rinse in fresh water should keep them shiney for a long time. Citric acid passivates or protects the brass, so if you store them for a real long time that is good.

You can get citric acid from a number of places, I get mine at Walmart in the canning section.

I used to do the same thing, except I didn't do the final rinse. I took them straight from the hot citric acid bath, did a quick towel dry, and put them into the food dehydrator.

It definitely helps maintain the shine for a long time.

• 1 month later...

Fresh clean corn cob, Nufinish polish, and an overnight run. Put in a bucket with a lid when done. Will stay bright for a long time. Walnut cleans good but soes not polish as well. Long run time is key.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Edited by ToddKS

A light coat of Hornady One Shot will leave a waxy protective coating on the brass. Thi is what I use after wet cleaning and drying. Don't over-do it.

Same with a home-made lanolin/alcohol lube but this tends not to aeresolize as well as the one shot and can leave a greaser coating.

Minimize contact with moist or humid environments. Keep brass in semi-conditioned space or use freezer bags, sealed buckets, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Define tarnished? I have wet tumbled cases, dried them, and put them in a plastic box with a non air tight lid over 18 months ago. Is the brass as shiney as the day I cleaned it? Nope. Will it load and shoot just fine? Yep.

Unless it is starting to turn green or black, I wouldnt worry about it.

If it's range brass, once cleaned spend a little time inspecting after cleaning. I use a box. plastic tray, and three of the Lawman plastic trays from factory

ammo. Pour a hand full of brass into the box with the factory tray in it most will fall base down. here look for berdan primers splits, cup marks or trash

in the case. Use another factory tray like a primer flip tray then look at the bases. I load on a 650 so I can't swage brass, chunk any that are swaged,

military or any other reason, I don't keep odd headstamps. Military cases have a smaller case volume.

you can turn the factory tray sideways and look for 380's or Supers that found their way into the tumbler.

I tumble with Nu Finish or Turtle auto polish in corn cob media, inspecting after tumbling. Place the inspected clean brass in a five gallon bucket with

a lid in the loading room. That way I have plenty of good brass when a loading session starts.